Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2018 odyssey elite. After driving it for about 2 months I came out and the battery was drained. This is my 3rd Honda in 6 years and they notoriously put bad batteries on their vehicles, in my opinion. I have replaced 4 batteries in 3 years on 3 different Honda’s. So I replaced this one(had it tested and confirmed of bad battery) thinking that would fix the problem and it worked for about a week and then it was drained again. Did a few tests, alternator good, we weren’t leaving lights or auxiliary power on etc. noticed one day while it was parked the auxiliary power just turned on by itself with nobody in the vehicle and the key nowhere in sight.
Some one said to check that the remote start wasn’t trying to turn on. It was disabled completely. I’ve been told that the AC compressor relay could be the problem and I do here the “clicking” noise someone spoke of when I did the recommended test.The problem I am having now is that none of the relays are marked on the manual or fuse box diagrams. Called Honda and they also couldn’t tell me where it was and recommended I take it to the dealer. It’s a $20 part that shouldn’t require a dealer to fix. Does anyone have a diagram of the relays so I can test to see if this is the cause? Or any other suggestions about what it might be?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Someone else recently had a battery drain issue, where the root cause was the wireless phone charger.
I'd look it up for you, but I don't have time..

·
Registered
399 Posts
In the older TLs, the handsfree link was causing a battery drain. This was present, when the handsfree was non-functional. If your handsfree is working fine, then do not worry.

The other thing is the grounding cable from the negative terminal to the chassis. A member on ROC had this issue and somehow, the dealership narrowed down to a severely corroded chassis ground. Changed it and problem solved.

What is the mileage on the van?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the older TLs, the handsfree link was causing a battery drain. This was present, when the handsfree was non-functional. If your handsfree is working fine, then do not worry.

The other thing is the grounding cable from the negative terminal to the chassis. A member on ROC had this issue and somehow, the dealership narrowed down to a severely corroded chassis ground. Changed it and problem solved.

What is the mileage on the van?
36700. I already talked to Honda and they basically said too bad it didn’t happen 701 miles ago. I’m getting ready to take it into a mechanic. The relay that I thought it was doesn’t even exist anymore. It’s a big module under the passenger kick panel now. I haven’t the slightest what it can be.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The big module under the passenger kick panel is the body control module. Typically the dealership is quick to diagnose it as an issue and proactively change it, only to find out that it does not solve it. Been there, done that.

HDS, because of the electrical gremlins, will indicate multiple issues as affected systems may trigger affected sister/dependent system trouble codes. Since this happened outside of the dealership, they may end up pinning it on you, unless you did not tell them about the mirror change and what transpired during that process (I would not have).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts