Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But what's an easy and quick way to get ice off the windsheild in the morning?

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
Hot water. But what do I know?...I'm from California too.
I did notice though alot of icy windshields this morning on my neighbors cars parked outside. Brrrr...

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Maybe you could clean out the garage and park it inside!

·
Registered
100 Posts
My house faces south. So my car (NOT the new Ody) parked on the driveway normally faces north. I now back up my car on to the driveway so it faces south.

The sun's melted the ice on the wind shield before I take the car to work.

-- Hoa

------------------
GG '02 EX-L NAVI

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you use RainX or a similar product on your windshield, usually an ice-scraper will work very well...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
483 Posts
I stopped using ice scrapers since I scratched the windshield on my old Civic. If you can get those plastic sheets that go over your windshield (light gray in color and very light)and install them at night. The tongue shaped ends get tucked in between the doors and the A-pillars. Then take it out in the morning. No scraping. I use it a lot at times when there's freezing rain or heavy snow forecasted (like tonight).

You can probably get it at Walmart or Target. I can't remember the brand but I think it is Axis or something.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions! I had an interesting drive to school today...

I'll try starting it up five minutes early tomorrow. The hot water cracking the windsheild scares me and the sun isn't out when I leave. Would a car cover work? We have one laying around...

I would love to park it in the garage, but the Ody and two other cars are already in there (I don't drive the Ody to school).
My mom's Civic and my Civic have been relegated to the driveway. It's always a big deal when a "garaged" car goes into the shop and I get its spot for the night! Ahhh...no freezing cold car in the morning!

Michelle

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poodleluvr:
...Would a car cover work?...</font>
A cold car cover is more rigid and thus scratchier - be very careful of the paint if you try this.

I use plastic ice scrapers. I start the car a few minutes before I have to go, and let the defroster run full blast during that time.

Another tip: When I park in cold weather, I leave one or two windows slightly ajar (not much, just an 1/8" or so). The warm humid air accumulated while driving will escape rather than condense and freeze on the inside of the windows.

Regards,

Maugham

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A cold car cover is more rigid and thus scratchier - be very careful of the paint if you try this.</font>
I'm a klutz, I won't even try this now.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I use plastic ice scrapers. I start the car a few minutes before I have to go, and let the defroster run full blast during that time. </font>
I don't have an ice scraper laying around; ice is very rare here, so people just don't buy them. Could a credit card double as an ice scraper?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Another tip: When I park in cold weather, I leave one or two windows slightly ajar (not much, just an 1/8" or so). The warm humid air accumulated while driving will escape rather than condense and freeze on the inside of the windows.

</font>
Can do.

Thanks,
Michelle

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Hot water. But what do I know?...I'm from California too.
I did notice though alot of icy windshields this morning on my neighbors cars parked outside. Brrrr...

-Nestor

</font>
Actually a friend of mine from Chicago told me a story that they used to pour hot water onto people's cars as a prank to freeze their windshields. He insisted that teh hot water freezed faster than if they'd used cold water. I'd aways thought it can't be true until I ran across this web site that talked about the Mpemba effect. http://www.weburbia.com/physics/hot_water.html
Sometimes pure logic can fail you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
An alternative to an ice scraper if you just have light frost on the windshield is the clear portion of a cassette case. I've used it before with good luck.

BTW: does anyone still USE cassettes?!

[This message has been edited by Car2ns (edited 01-31-2002).]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Car2ns:
BTW: does anyone still USE cassettes?! </font>
I used cassettes up until Honda decided for me that the Odyssey with Navi didn't need a cassette player.

·
Registered
616 Posts
FYI - if you use a Credit Card, make sure you pick one that will be replaced/expires soon, because the scraping edge on the card can really get ripped up. I used to the credit card scraper idea in my younger regular snow skiing days and on the really icy stuff you can really destroy a credit card.

BrianB

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BrianB:
FYI - if you use a Credit Card, make sure you pick one that will be replaced/expires soon, because the scraping edge on the card can really get ripped up. I used to the credit card scraper idea in my younger regular snow skiing days and on the really icy stuff you can really destroy a credit card.

BrianB
</font>
I've had my accounts frozen a couple of times, maybe that's why

·
Registered
61 Posts
Back in the old days, before moving to iceless TX, used the windshield washer and the antifreeze type washer solvent to clear off the ice IF it wasn't too heavy. Had to remember to fill the tank with solvent and not H2O!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Credit cards work well in a pinch. A friend who moved to GA got a real hoot out of everyone there using AMEX's to clear their windows.

Although that wouldn't have worked here last night. My wife got off the commuter train to 3/4" of ice encasing the entire van. She started up the van and let it run for 10 minutes before attempting to scrap the windshield. She still managed to break one of the wiper blades. That ice is still on the top of the van locking on 2 inches of snow. Here's hoping it warms up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Um, just got in from the hot tub (102d), it's a frigid 65d outside this evening...what's the topic again???
hahahaha......

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts