Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an "event" earlier today in my fun car - brake pedal went to the floor a few times then completely lost pressure. Looks like a hose at the rear ruptured. Might have been nicked when the new cat-back exhaust was being put on, might be due to it's 14 years / 145k of outdoor exercise, don't know yet. But as I was describing it to my wife and how I used low gear and the parking brake to assist stopping the car in a safe place to get towed, I noted the parking brake is cable-actuated so works without hydraulic fluid in the system; she asked if something similar were to happen in the van what should she do and would the parking brake work. I thought some newer vehicles use the hydraulics for the parking brake, but have no idea about our Ody.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't know of any that use hydraulics for the parking or e brake. But use of an ebrake must be done with care and caution due to the potential for a handbrake turn.
Electronics brakes are in at the higher end of the automobile pecking order.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, maybe it was electronic brakes I was thinking of. I seem to remember that some german cars have push button parking brake and there was discussion how parking brakes are moving away from being cable-actuated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ah, maybe it was electronic brakes I was thinking of. I seem to remember that some german cars have push button parking brake and there was discussion how parking brakes are moving away from being cable-actuated.
I traded a VW Tiguan for the Ody. The Tiguan had an electronic parking brake. To be honest, since the car had free scheduled maintenance, I never took the rear wheels off to even see the parking brake mechanism. I'm assuming it was an electric motor that actuated a cable. I can't find any info online to confirm or deny that though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The Odyssey certainly looks like it has big cables ;)
PARKING BRAKE. Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey | Sons Honda

I rented a Renault Espace sometime ago and it had the emergency brake assist (electric), which has no pedal, no button, just a release handle for when the car gets started. The brake is set automatically when the car engine is turned off.

In case of the system getting stuck or something, you have to open a panel (where the hand brake used to be) and pull an emergency handle to release it manually.

Call it convenient or higher tech, but it annoys me to start losing control of so many basic things in a car :dunno:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea; I should have thought to look at the parts schematic.

I drove an Audi A8 with the push button parking brake; didn't think about how it physically worked. According to wikipedia, there are two electronic systems - in one a motor pulls the cable; in the other the motors sit on the calipers and modulate them.

I like the simplicity of older cars - generally - much easier to fix, although newer cars also generally have less go wrong with them (for example, tune ups are a thing of the past - fuel injection, electronic distributors, knock sensors, etc. negate the need).

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts