Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have an '03 Odyssey with four wheel disc (which I understand from reading around here that this is the standard setup for this model year). I'm on vacation and am having a bit of problem with the left rear brake.

I've changed pads on this car several times over the years (front and rear....have 170k miles on her now. This car rocks!:rockon:). However, I'm just now learning how the parking brake works on this model from reading forums.

I think my left-rear parking brake shoe isn't disengaging all the way. Originally (last week) we heard a squeak-squeak-squeak when beginning to roll and I thought this was the wear indicator on the main brake pads. The pads turned out to still have >30% usable surface on them, but since I had it taken apart I put new pads on anyway.

So, to make a long story short, when I would rotate the rotor with car lifted, I could hear something dragging for about 60 degrees of rotation, but I thought it was the new pads' incidental rotor contact on a trivial amount of rotor warp. Turns out the issue is the parking brake shoe. Seems like this isn't disengaging fully. Further, I think it is accelerating the rotor warp and it is worse now than a week ago.

Can anybody post a picture of what the hub looks like with the rotor removed and show the parking brake assembly? I'm trying to decide if we need to take care of this while we are on a trip or wait until I get home.

If you can, I'll give you ten attaboys!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! You win the attaboys! This really helped. After seeing what it was like on the inside, I decided to leave it alone for the rest of the trip. On the way home, I bought a kit with the springs, etc. Last night I took it apart to clean it out and put the springs in. We live on a dirt road, and the inside of the rotor was definitely a dry, dusty place. Since I think the rotor had a little warp, I dropped it off at a shop before work today to have it turned. I'll put it all back together tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
OEM Rear brake rotors only cost about $80 each from Handa. It is false economy not to get new rotors, especially when you are having warping issues with the old ones. If new, then you know that they will be true.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice schematic photos.

Buddy just did my rotors and breaks so I had a chance to study the outward pushing break pads on the E-Brake system. Nifty.

I am not having any issues with the E-Brake, so I didn't bother investigating buying new pads...now I'm wondering if I'll ever need to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts