Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have tips / product suggestions for parking their Odyssey in a tight and shorter garage space?

It will fit in the garage, but literally with 1 inch of clearance between front bumper and wall for the garage door to close. I can make it work, but takes a family member a very long time of creeping up slowly, getting out of the car 1-2 times, to get right to the wall with that 1 inch of clearance.

Maybe a foam board or other protector?

The front sensors do go off and was hoping the vehicle would auto brake like my Sienna. Not sure if Odyssey has same functionality.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
630 Posts

I see this style most ;

Reactions: Fllhonda

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might I suggest just backing in? That way you also have the camera to see the wall.
That’s exactly what I do, and the rear camera is great for this purpose. However the other driver isn’t comfortable with reverse parking (very narrow one-way entry lane to garage, with tight space and larger vehicle.)

Looking into tire stops now.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That’s exactly what I do, and the rear camera is great for this purpose. However the other driver isn’t comfortable with reverse parking (very narrow one-way entry lane to garage, with tight space and larger vehicle.)

Looking into tire stops now.
With only 1" of clearance, I hope the tire stops actually work to stop you in time. :)
Sounds like a good plan as long as you are going super slow and being careful waiting for the tire stops to 'stop' your Ody.
Could be great, but the tire stop would have to be moved for front and back parking moves, I would think.
I had never even heard of tire stops before. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyone have tips / product suggestions for parking their Odyssey in a tight and shorter garage space?
My neighbor bolted down a brick to his driveway. Not your exact situation, but he backs his van down their steep driveway with no backup camera and always has about an inch of space left. They haven't busted through their house yet so tire stops seem to work.

Think you'd be able to get away with backing in the van as well since the distance between the tire to the end of the rear bumper looks longer than the tire to the front bumper.

Our van also has a "BumpShox" front license plate bracket. Could always have that installed if your state requires front license plates and just inch up till it presses against the wall.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you back into the garage?
OP doesn't have a problem with backing into the tight garage, it's their other driver that likes going head first.

A hanging tennis ball that hits the windshield
Never used the tennis ball trick, but people always recommend it so I'm guessing it works. Does wind and draft never become an issue with the tennis ball? Especially when you only have around an inch of space for error?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
OP doesn't have a problem with backing into the tight garage, it's their other driver that likes going head first.

Never used the tennis ball trick, but people always recommend it so I'm guessing it works. Does wind and draft never become an issue with the tennis ball? Especially when you only have around an inch of space for error?
I think the tennis ball may work very well but still, only one inch of clearance.
Overall, it sure sounds like a wall or door repair is in his near future.
Buffalo4 :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I back in and use a strip of reflective tape (purchased at Harbor Freight) and placed it in the center of the garage floor. The tape is located from the door to the back wall to guide me in via the backup camera. Then I made a "T" in the tape to show me when I am in far enough in to close the door. Lastly I moved my garage door sensors so the eye is even with the front most part of my van. This stops the door from coming down if I am not in enough. Granted I have more than an inch of wiggle room but still my wife refuses to back the van into the garage... good luck.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I've gotten by with a ping pong or wiffle golf ball hanging from ceiling to contact windshield. If you require suspenders with that belt, a length (~4ft) of 2x10 (or2x12) cut to the distance from the wall to the tire will give a second signal, more difficult to ignore, especially if you double up on the height at the tire end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hung a small ball from the ceiling that exactly matches the antenna for my old odyssey.
For my CRV, I put a piece of tape on the wall that exactly sights with the edge of my right hand mirror. You may have a tape for each driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the stopper like the one in the link below.

·
Registered
2 Posts

It will fit in the garage, but literally with 1 inch of clearance between front bumper and wall for the garage door to close. I can make it work, but takes a family member a very long time of creeping up slowly, getting out of the car 1-2 times, to get right to the wall with that 1 inch of clearance.

Maybe a foam board or other protector?

The front sensors do go off and was hoping the vehicle would auto brake like my Sienna. Not sure if Odyssey has same functionality.

thanks in advance.
I had a similar situation when I stored my pop up camper in the back of my garage. I carefully pulled my car in to the best location and parked. I tied an aluminum foil ball (similar to the tennis ball solutions mentioned) to a string and while the ball was just touching the windshield by the rear view mirror, I tied off the string to the rafters above. It worked great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts