Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Partially my fault, but still...

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg Stoddard 
#1 ·
So I had been dealing with this one salesman for months. I actually like the guy, he's pretty personable. So he finds the exact model Odyssey that I want and sys if I want to get it I should come in and put down a downpayment. I tell him sure but I can't make it until tomorrow. I tell him I want the car and I want to come haggle for a good price.

He tells me that the final say so on price doesn't come from him but from his boss so while he won't be in tomorrow I can still show up, put down a downpayment and decide on a final price.

Next day roils by and I go to the dealership. The boss is in a busy meeting and can't come out so another salesman shows up and is ready to take my deposit.

I say "wwhoah, there Tex!" (not really) but I tell him I want to decide on a price (he assumed I was ready to just buy it for the full $43,000). Next thing I know it's been 2 hours, we've knocked $3,500 off the car, I've decided on the accessories I want and I'm leaving a downpayment.

Today my salesman calls and tells me that the other salesman is going to get half the commission from the sale of the vehicle because he spent several hours with me, and he wanted to hand me over to this 2nd guy to finish the process including getting the vehicle whe it shows up in a couple of weeks.

Now the question in MY head was whether this guy really wanted to give me up to salesman #2 or did salesman #2 try to strong-arm salesmn #1 out of the way saying that I was his sale? My guy said he was still getting half the sale and I told him that I didn't realize salesman #2 was going to get part of his sale, ESPECIALLY given that I went that day to haggle with his BOSS, not a 2nd salesman!!!

Anyway, what do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
If salesman #1 wasn't willing to come in for a sale, too bad for him - he has to share the commission with salesman #2. Maybe salesman #2 spent less time with you than salesman #1, but salesman #2 had to work harder to negotiate the selling price. He deserves half the commission.

#5 ·
I agree with Bill in Houston. This happens all the time in dealerships.....which is why one of the first questions they ask when you walk into the showroom is "have you been here before?" He told you to come in and talk to his boss....and then his boss wasn't available....that isn't your problem.

Enjoy the new van.

#6 ·
This same situation happens in real estate. My Mom is an agent and sometimes she goes on vacation. If she has a listing, she signs an agreement allowing a trusted coworker to handle all duties with respect to that listing (i.e open houses, receiving offers) while she is away.

If the house sells while she is away, they usually split the commission 50-50. If the house sells later on when my Mom is back, she usually gives the coworker a smaller percentage of the commission for helping her out.

:)

#7 ·
It's called commission sales. If your original sale an couldn't come in when you told him you were coming then yes the second guy deserves half the sale for doing all the closing work and spending ptime with you that he wasn't spending time selling. No big deal, it happens and it's how commission sales works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.