Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updates: Thank you digitalextremes and A2Mich This part is called "Spindle knuckle hub bearing".

Folks please do check yours! Turn your wheel all the way to the left or right, and you can the rust personally. These parts are ~200 dollars on Ebay... not to mention labor/labor cost and time if DIY.

Hello community,

I'm trying to find out which part is this called and how we can prevent further damages for the new 2019 Honda Odyssey.

This is not only for my 2019 Odyssey, but also for hundreds of others. I went back to the dealer and the managers said it is just the parts that Honda uses are "rust friendly"...

My 2019 Odyssey is only 7 month old with ~1700 miles on it, but both side of the front wheel arms (need to know the exact name -- still researching...) are all rusted.

It is the same scenario on the Dealers' show case van. That Odyssey has been parked inside of the show room for the past year but also rusted for this metal part..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone knows what this part is called, please share it with me and the community;
If anyone knows how to prevent these rust grow into/onto the balls and screws, please share it with me and the community;

Many people may not even notice this part on their newly purchased 2019 Odyssey are all rusted. Once two years later then we encounter issues, we may not even know the issues are already started today... it will cost us hundreds if not thousands of dollars to replace this part + labor...

I'm a all time Honda fan and this is my 3rd Honda car/mini van. This is the very first time I see a part is rusted like this only 7 month after purchasing a brand new Odyssey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I park the Odyssey inside of my garage all the time under normal temperature and humidity. I also check my 2013 CRV for the similar part and those are not rusted like this 2019 Odyssey.

I'm thinking spraying Rust-reformer onto it now but would like to see if there is any better ideas within the community.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I park the Odyssey inside of my garage all the time under normal temperature and humidity. I also check my 2013 CRV for the similar part and those are not rusted like this 2019 Odyssey.

I'm thinking spraying Rust-reformer onto it now but would like to see if there is any better ideas within the community.
That would be a wheel spindle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knuckle...just lower quality parts....see how the better quality part lower control arm isn’t rusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I also took some pictures for the 2018/2019 CRV and they are much better (the show room car are just half rusted..) Customers cannot see from outside of the car at all though.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
It's called a steering knuckle. It's cast iron and that's why it rusts. The lower control arm is made of aluminum and that's why it does not rust. They must be cheaping out on the coatings or rust-proofing. The only way to fix it would be to remove it, remove the components from it and have it sandblasted and then painted.

How rusty it gets also depends on where you live. If you live in humid, coastal, or rust belt areas you'll get rust no matter what.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's called a steering knuckle. It's cast iron and that's why it rusts. The lower control arm is made of aluminum and that's why it does not rust. They must be cheaping out on the coatings or rust-proofing. The only way to fix it would be to remove it, remove the components from it and have it sandblasted and then painted.

How rusty it gets also depends on where you live. If you live in humid, coastal, or rust belt areas you'll get rust no matter what.
Thanks for the information! This is very helpful. It seems like Honda omitted all the steps you mentioned above (or at least the coatings and rust-proofing; I can bear with not painted..).

I'm in DC area and only drive the Odyssey occasionally. When not driving I park it inside of the garage. The temperature and humidity should be both ok. Thanks again!

I will be going back to the dealer service department to see if they will sand it and coat the parts. (highly doubted, they will either do nothing, or want to charge me, one of the thousands of Honda customers.)

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
It's just surface rust and isn't going to affect anything. Painting or coating the parts would be on you. Previous years may have been zinc coated or some type of galvanization used. Metallurgy is not my thing but I know Hondas don't usually surface rust like that. That's typical of GM, Ford, Chrysler, VW, etc. Honda and Toyota are usually pretty good...until now, I guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just surface rust and isn't going to affect anything. Painting or coating the parts would be on you. Previous years may have been zinc coated or some type of galvanization used. Metallurgy is not my thing but I know Hondas don't usually surface rust like that. That's typical of GM, Ford, Chrysler, VW, etc. Honda and Toyota are usually pretty good...until now, I guess.
Thanks John. Then I guess I will just put some WD-40 on the ball screws for now. I'm more worried if the rust is impacting those, it will be very difficult to take them off after a few years when we need to DIY the car by ourselves.

Next car, I would consider Chrysler or Chevy. Maybe time for change and move away from Honda.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You probably don’t want to hear this, but I wouldn’t worry about that one bit. It will never rust enough to be problem. Hope that makes you feel better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You probably don’t want to hear this, but I wouldn’t worry about that one bit. It will never rust enough to be problem. Hope that makes you feel better.
:) feel much better~ Thanks!
I leave it as is and will do DIY work once get a chance later this year or after factory warranty expires to sand it and coat it. (it was just when I saw those rust, I was thinking oh s***, what's going on with a 7-month new Odyssey. lol

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,267 Posts
I feel your pain, steviori.

You're probably thinking that you just gave your left kidney for a minivan and already a major part is rusting. The reality is, by the time that part rusts enough to cause a mechanical failure, your right kidney will have completely failed. It is another example of how Honda has cheaped out on quality parts in favor of profit. This has only started since quality control was placed in the U.S and away from Japan.

You could spray some rust inhibiting oil on it and let it creep over time. Be very careful not to spray the CV boots or rotor. Start with a small amount of oil. It's likely hot where you are, The heat will help move the oil along the part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:) feel much better~ Thanks!
I leave it as is and will do DIY work once get a chance later this year or after factory warranty expires to sand it and coat it. (it was just when I saw those rust, I was thinking oh s***, what's going on with a 7-month new Odyssey. lol
To each his own, but I personally wouldn’t touch it unless I was already taking it off to repair something else. I’m of the mindset that disturbing things can cause problems that otherwise wouldn’t have been there. But as always, it’s your car so you should do whatever helps you feel better about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel your pain, steviori.

You're probably thinking that you just gave your left kidney for a minivan and already a major part is rusting. The reality is, by the time that part rusts enough to cause a mechanical failure, your right kidney will have completely failed. It is another example of how Honda has cheaped out on quality parts in favor of profit. This has only started since quality control was placed in the U.S and away from Japan.

You could spray some rust inhibiting oil on it and let it creep over time. Be very careful not to spray the CV boots or rotor. Start with a small amount of oil. It's likely hot where you are, The heat will help move the oil along the part.
Yep. a few hundreds of buckets deducted (and will be for years) sigh... and thanks for the suggestions! I will do some preventative and very careful sprays --- and yes will be super careful --- don't want to the service guys a chance to say because of "you did xyz, you violated warranty policy." lol~

·
Registered
884 Posts
Been on all my vehicles in Newfoundland Canada where we salt roads in winter and cars aren’t noted for their longevity. I’m in the “don’t worry about it camp”. It will outlast you and probably the next few owners as well.

Take a peek at your nice shiny brake rotors after leaving your van unused for a few days in the rain.

Passed my first Odyssey on the road a few weeks back. A 2002. I noted a lot of body rust but someone is obviously still getting use out of it. Replaced the transmission in that one while still under warranty thank god. There was a recall on the transmission. You had to give your van to the dealer for a few days to determine if your transmission was defective and needed replacing. Mine came through with flying colours. No issue I was told.

A week later it was in its way to the dealer again. This time behind a tow truck. Transmission failed.

I keep telling people. These problems didn’t start in 2018.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,267 Posts
Robie, I had a transmission recall on my 2002. They discovered a problem with the second gear I believe, for those owners who were towing trailers. The gear was overheating. If it was damaged, they replaced the transmission. If it was mildly burnt, they installed an extra oil pump or something - not sure of the details.

My point: at least Honda backed up their work in 2002. Today, we're finding all kinds of issues and with the odd exception, are being told to drop dead. My knocking engine comes to mind. I've asked Honda to do something about it three times in the past two years. Each time, I was told to get lost, in not so many words. You're right - the problems didn't start with the 2018s. The incredible service and promises simply hit a brick wall. That's what started in 2018. Sad really - the managerial structure at Honda has gone right to hell.

My apologies to the OP for going off track with the original topic :).

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've got a lot of thoughts about this and also apologize for going off track. There's a story in the media yesterday that GM may be going to even increased use of technology and more job cuts. The term "survival" is used.

I think the whole industry works on a narrow profit margin and needs to sell millions of vehicles to remain profitable. I think manufacturers resist recalls on anything other than safety related issues. Cost cutting is the norm. Saving a few pennies on each vehicle is considered good business.

I know I've dealt with my current dealer for 20 years. I don't believe they are getting the support from Honda that they need as a dealer. I don't believe they are getting the information or the training to deal with the many technological issues that are turning up in the field. I know they replaced the infotainment head in my Odyssey during my first week of ownership. As the part was back ordered (naturally) they hauled one out of another vehicle but my Honda Link app stopped working. I spent endless hours on the phone with Honda Canada technical support and eventually found myself dealing with the so called top technology guy in Canada. On our first phone call I told him I thought the infotainment system was somehow still coded to the vehicle it had been removed from. He promptly told me that wasn't possible. After several failed attempts I get a call from this guy one day with "good news". He tells me the new infotainment head thinks it's in the vehicle it was removed from. Duh! Tells me he has sent detailed instructions to the dealer on the programming they need to do to address the issue. Great.

It was still the third trip and putting the dealer in telephone contact with the tech guy I was dealing with before we got it right. And guess what. The next software update the damn thing reverted again.

So by the time we had it sorted out my 3 month free trial of the Honda link app had expired without me getting any use out of it. I asked for an extension. Honda Canada refused but "offered me a free oil change" for my hours of frustration and multiple trips to the dealer.

They were obviously learning on the fly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts