Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at brake pads locally at Advance and Orielys and brake pads were $40 to $60 but on Rock Auto there were numerous selections with many different manufacturers starting below $10. Not that I would get the ones for $10 but what happened to the cost of brake pads and does anyone have any thoughts on parts from Rock Auto to include brake pads OR AIR CONDITIONING PARTS, (COMPRESSOR, CONDENSOR, EVAPORATOR)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sort of a general rule is that if it is marked with a little red heart, it's usually a good choice amongst the quality levels as a lot of people have ordered that particular part.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sort of a general rule is that if it is marked with a little red heart, it's usually a good choice amongst the quality levels as a lot of people have ordered that particular part.
A lot of sales means absolutely nothing without buyer ratings.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
...does anyone have any thoughts on parts from Rock Auto...
Rock Auto is like your cable TV service - they give you access to a wide range of manufacturers from one site, but they manufacture nothing themselves.

Unless you are choosing by price alone, you should know your manufacturers' brands when you shop, and so choose based on service life, durability, fitment, price, etc.

You might however validly ask how Rock Auto ranks as a retailer e.g. delivery time, return policy, etc. (Very high IMHO)

Reactions: Goldenchariot

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was looking at brake pads locally at Advance and Orielys and brake pads were $40 to $60 but on Rock Auto there were numerous selections with many different manufacturers starting below $10. Not that I would get the ones for $10 but what happened to the cost of brake pads and does anyone have any thoughts on parts from Rock Auto to include brake pads OR AIR CONDITIONING PARTS, (COMPRESSOR, CONDENSOR, EVAPORATOR)?
I like Autozone brake pads with lifetime warranty. All my vehicles has it and its just the best deal you'll find out there if you diy. Buy it once and free replacement forever. Or until they stop doing it anyway. Quality is at par with the good ones out there. Cost around 50 bucks/pair for ceramic. I have a generic on one car and a ceramic on the other. The generic gets replaced more often but I don't mind. I get to check the system and surrounding suspension area more often.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I like Autozone brake pads with lifetime warranty.
The advantage of buying a store brand is that you share in their lower cost from their volume buying. Many times a lower price under this strategy fronts a high quality product. Costco is a good example.

Store brands can switch suppliers on a dime though, so a product could go from high to low quality, or the reverse, overnight.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Many "lifetime warranties" have language that limits the number of replacements to one, especially on a "wear" item. Any time for as long as you own the car, but only once.

And then there are the many stories of starters and alternators replaced several times, often within a short period, because they are crap.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The advantage of buying a store brand is that you share in their lower cost from their volume buying. Many times a lower price under this strategy fronts a high quality product. Costco is a good example.

Store brands can switch suppliers on a dime though, so a product could go from high to low quality, or the reverse, overnight.
On their pads, in the passed 14 years, I have not noticed anything that I would say their quality has degraded. ON both ceramic or generic(semi-metallic).

On the shoes of my 99 odyssey, I recently replaced this a few months ago, the guy on the counter was surprised that my 22 years old van is still running and they are giving me another free replacement for it. This one has a size difference, maybe 1/4 inch longer on core and pad material. I thought it was wrong. But when I installed it, it turns out it was actually good. It eliminated the forever scraping noise I hear on the right rear drum. I have been trying to build my energy to replace the rear plate where the shoes sits ( there is a raised part where the shoe core glides(left of piston)- its dug in over the years + grinding it smooth may have it lower than others. Have a replacement ready. But this recent improvement may not require me do it. Still observing. But sounds and looks promising. lol.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Many "lifetime warranties" have language that limits the number of replacements to one, especially on a "wear" item. Any time for as long as you own the car, but only once.

And then there are the many stories of starters and alternators replaced several times, often within a short period, because they are crap.
So far no limit on their brake pads and shoes. 14 years and counting. So long you own the same car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I get that 100%

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
You didn't say what year your Odyssey is. If you ask about pads (or read some threads related to them) in the section devoted to your model year range, it will help you to decide what to buy. It might really matter.

I have bought things from Rock Auto a couple of times. Had a good experience both times.
Don't forget to use the discount code down in the sponsor section.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
I've bought parts from Rock Auto numerous times and their pricing is competitive much of the time with the local brick-and-mortar auto parts stores. And the parts I've received have always been genuine manufacturer parts and very good quality (though at least a part of that is attributable to the choices I make too). The only drawback is having to be organized enough to order the parts a week in advance of when I actually need them. The Odyclub discount code has also come in handy a lot.

I've done it before and I'll do it again. No problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You didn't say what year your Odyssey is. If you ask about pads (or read some threads related to them) in the section devoted to your model year range, it will help you to decide what to buy. It might really matter.

I have bought things from Rock Auto a couple of times. Had a good experience both times.
Don't forget to use the discount code down in the sponsor section.
Thanks for the reply, it is a 2009 EX-L. Where do I find the discount code?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I've bought parts from Rock Auto numerous times and their pricing is competitive much of the time with the local brick-and-mortar auto parts stores.
I'm curious if it's a "way of speaking" difference, or different pricing on different sides of the border. I generally find Rock runs about half the price of local chains (Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly) for plugs, pads, rotors. Even less for filters, wipers.

To me, that's "blows away", not "competitive with". And I get next day or two day delivery at "standard" rates, because I'm within 200 miles of several of their major suppliers.

Reactions: CroMath

·
Registered
121 Posts
So far no limit on their brake pads and shoes. 14 years and counting. So long you own the same car.
At least around here there's also:. So long as you don't wear them down to the backing plate.

I agree AutoZone does replace parts with lifetime warranty "as long as you own your car".

Rock Auto has some of the best prices and fast shipping. They also let you know when an item is back in stock if you give your email address. For big ticket items a lot cheaper at times....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
I'm curious if it's a "way of speaking" difference, or different pricing on different sides of the border. I generally find Rock runs about half the price of local chains (Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly) for plugs, pads, rotors. Even less for filters, wipers.

To me, that's "blows away", not "competitive with". And I get next day or two day delivery at "standard" rates, because I'm within 200 miles of several of their major suppliers.
No, it's not a difference in phrasing. Rock Auto rarely "blows away" the local competition in Canada because we also have to account for exchange rate differences, which usually run between 20-25% extra. Shipping is also more expensive and slower, which makes sense (stuff has to clear customs across international borders) and I accept as valid.

Rock Auto still manages to be cheaper in many cases. As an example, the rotor and pad kit I installed on my Hyundai Elantra came out about $70 cheaper than what I could get locally. The stuff that turns out to be the same price or more expensive I obviously just buy locally. Small items like wiper blades or filters are almost never worth it because the shipping cost blows the price way up.

For me, Rock Auto's biggest advantages for Canadians are ease of ordering, reasonable prices and incredible selection. Rock Auto offers Canadians access to a level of selection most local retailers here can't match.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm surprised to learn that Rock didn't have a wholesaler in Canada fulfilling orders. I get that the extra shipping time and cost eats into savings.

OTOH, given the differences in the values of our respective currencies, I'm amazed that a manufacturer like NGK or Denso doesn't charge Canadian retailers 1.23 Canadian dollars when they charge USA retailers 1.00 USD. (Today's exchange rate). Thereby driving Canadian retailers' prices (in CAD) higher in comparison.

I also order supplies like filters in bunches. Two cabin air filters plus an engine air filter for several cars drives the shipping down to a buck a filter, making them $6 apiece instead of $15. Wipers, same idea.

Reactions: CroMath
1 - 20 of 21 Posts