Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Elite: So the nylon pin that holds the exterior door handle to the return spring/opening rod broke. I figured I could 3D print a new pin since the original pin was just made of nylon. Got that all ready but then I had difficulty getting the backing plate behind the door handle mounted properly (part # 72130-TK8-A00). It is really difficult to put into place because you have to slip your hand around the window support pieces. So it slipped out of my hand and fell into the bottom of the door. I figured, no big deal, I'll just grab it. Think again, it fell between the outer skin and inner skin of the very extreme bottom corner. It is literally sandwiched in there. I tried putting a magnet on the inner skin and see if I could move it but it wouldn't budge. The only thing I can think of to get it out would be to completely remove the door and hang it upside down to encourage it to come out.

In the end, it is a cheap part and I think I will just buy a new one. But, I am worried that in the future it might rust down there since it is close to a weep hole. It is unprotected steel, so I think rusting is definitely a possibility. Then there is the potential of rattling, it seems wedged in there pretty good, but you never know what might make it move into a position that it will start rattling.

Does anyone have any thoughts or approaches I might try to getting it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, I actually just got it out. But I think it is still worth keeping this post up. What I ended up doing was getting my big a** flat head screw driver and putting it between the two skins on the inside of the door. I gently pried until I heard the plate hit the bottom. I have some large 1" x 3" neodymium magnets that I wrapped in paper towel and while gently prying between the skins I moved the magnet along the bottom until I heard the clink of the magnet grabbing the plate. I gently moved it along towards the middle of the door until I could finally grab it. Oh my gosh, I am so relieved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts