Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Passenger door lock stuck

2104 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ImNotQuiteSure
Hi! I have an 05 Ody Touring. The front passenger door is locked and won’t unlock with the fob, door switch or manual lock pull. I can’t pull the lock up. Like it’s stuck. I’ve jiggled and yanked but I didn’t want to break it. I pulled the fuse, it’s fine. It sounds like the actuator is trying to do something when I try the switch. The door is locked and can’t be opened, so now the front seat is hard use without gymnastics. I have managed to get the door panel loose which was very tricky while it’s shut. How do I manually unlock it though? The cable is in a plastic sheath like bicycle brakes and the mechanisms look to be in a white plastic housing. I can’t remove the lock assembly without opening the door to get to the 3 screws holding it in or the bolt holding the window track in place. What could be the cause? And in the meantime how can I over ride the lock to get the door opened?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,463 Posts
Sounds like what I had happen on a slider. The lock actuator is a worm gear, mine got misaligned and locked up because it was worn out. Maybe something similar happened to yours. I had to force the lock button far enough to open the door so I could pull the inside cover off and replace the actuator.

· Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
562 Posts
Sounds like what I had happen on a slider. The lock actuator is a worm gear, mine got misaligned and locked up because it was worn out. Maybe something similar happened to yours. I had to force the lock button far enough to open the door so I could pull the inside cover off and replace the actuator.
You can try pulling on the outside handle and the inner door lock at the same time and alternately. The other thing is to carefully use a rubber mallet. To jar it but not dent.From the inside first. If you break the plastic connector they sell them on eBay. You also may find a slim Jim door opening tool on google and the instructions on how to use it on utube.

· Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
562 Posts
You can try pulling on the outside handle and the inner door lock at the same time and alternately. The other thing is to carefully use a rubber mallet. To jar it but not dent.From the inside first. If you break the plastic connector they sell them on eBay. You also may find a slim Jim door opening tool on google and the instructions on how to use it on utube.
Here is the tool, you can get it at Walmart or on line.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able pull the inside door panel out of the window track at the top and access the lock tab cable. I sprayed penetrating oil down into the cable sheath and worked the lock up and down and cycled the actuator many times as well. After about 30 minutes it came loosened up but didn’t unlock. Finally while pulling the tab and the door handle together, it opened. After that I replaced the whole lock assembly with a junk yard part. Now I’m back in business.
To anyone trying to remove the door panel with the door shut, I used a paint can opener to loosen the clips by the door jam. But the real trick was a vinyl siding remover tool that is flat and has a hooked end. It was able to grab the bottom of the panel to fully pop the clips. I couldn’t take the entire panel off without removing the seat. Too much trouble. Luckily I could slide to panel over the lock tab and window rail so I could lube the lock cable to get things moving again. Thanks everyone who responded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.