Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem.. The other day the wife was driving and heard a loud sound come from the passenger door, then the window slid inside the door. At first we thought the window broke, but after pulling off the door panel i see the window inside the door in one piece. Using the window control, i hear the motor running and I see a couple cables, but the window isn't going anywhere. I'm guessing that the cables came unattached or something, but I'm not sure exactly what i'm looking at.

Does anyone have a link to the diagram of how things are connected for the power window? I hate to take it into the shop and get ripped off if this ends up being a fairly easy repair.

Thanks!
Derek

·
Registered
954 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to DIY. It helps to know your year model (trim level and mileage, also), if you're asking for assistance.

If you go ahead and remove the door panel, you should be able to see what failed and what's needed to make the repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to include the important info :)

2003 EXL-RES Odyssey..

I've only take the plastic cover off the door and pulled back the white plastic to reveal a couple of the openings into the inside. I can see some of the parts inside, but I'm not sure how it *should* be connected.

Derek

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
A good chance it is a failed window regulator ($51.51 Part #1 in this diagram http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=Model&Image=14S0X0_017_0003.GIF). Otherwise check the 2 bolts that fasten the window to it and make sure the electrical connectors are plugged-in.

Some relevant threads on the window falling in the door:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19473&highlight=window+fell

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34228&highlight=window+regulator
Front Door Glass and Regulator Replacement

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14182&highlight=window+regulator

Front Door Glass and Regulator
Replacement

1. Remove these items:
• Door panel
• Pull pocket bracket
• Power window control unit bracket, ’03-04
models driver’s door
• Plastic cover
2. Carefully raise the glass until you can see the bolts,
then remove them. Carefully pull the glass out
through the window slot. Take care not to drop the
glass inside the door.
3. Disconnect and detach the connectors, and
for ’03-04 models driver’s door, detach the
connectors from the door harness bracket.
Detach the harness clip from the door. Remove
the bolts and loosen the bolts, then remove
the regulator through the hole in the door.
4. Apply multipurpose grease to all the sliding
surfaces of the regulator where shown.
5. Install the glass and regulator in the reverse order
of removal, and note these items:
• Roll the glass up and down to see if it moves
freely without binding.
• Make sure that there is no clearance between the
glass and glass run channel when the glass is
closed.
• Adjust the position of the glass as necessary.
• Check for water leaks.
• For ’03-04 models: Reset the power window
control unit.
• Test-drive and check for wind noise and rattles.
• When reinstalling the door panel, make sure the
plastic cover is installed properly and sealed
around its perimeter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. I think I might actually give this repair a shot!

One clarification... is the passenger door the left or right part? It seems like it would be the right (item #1).

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on the part #s. You will want the passenger's side and it is indeed part #1. Part #6 is the driver's side. I will edit my previous post. The part # to order for the passenger window regulator is #72210-S0X-A03 for $51.51. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had the same issue on my 96 Ody. The problem was the glue broke loose on the two "U" shaped clips at the bottom of the window. <>Look at the two clips just above number 18 in the diagram.<> The 96 Ody has the same clips, but they are a little further apart.

Anyhow, the first attempt at fixing it, I used a 2-part epoxy that had to be mixed, and it came in a syringe type container. That only lasted about 6 months, then the window broke free of the epoxy.

Next, I used a Marine Expoxy, and that lasted 1 year.

Finally, I used Gorilla Glue, and that has held now for about 1 1/2 years...keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hey, the wacko Flyer fan is onto something.:p

Honda's have a weak glue that holds the glass to the clips for the regulator. I take mine to a glass shop and slip the guy some cash. They have an adhesive with Kung-Foo grip. Should hold out till the regulator cable guide snaps.:stupid:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Drivers side window regulator replaced

New Dad New Van said:
A good chance it is a failed window regulator ($51.51 Part #1 in this diagram http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=Model&Image=14S0X0_017_0003.GIF). Otherwise check the 2 bolts that fasten the window to it and make sure the electrical connectors are plugged-in.

Some relevant threads on the window falling in the door:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19473&highlight=window+fell

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34228&highlight=window+regulator
Front Door Glass and Regulator Replacement

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14182&highlight=window+regulator

Front Door Glass and Regulator
Replacement

1. Remove these items:
• Door panel
• Pull pocket bracket
• Power window control unit bracket, ’03-04
models driver’s door
• Plastic cover
2. Carefully raise the glass until you can see the bolts,
then remove them. Carefully pull the glass out
through the window slot. Take care not to drop the
glass inside the door.
3. Disconnect and detach the connectors, and
for ’03-04 models driver’s door, detach the
connectors from the door harness bracket.
Detach the harness clip from the door. Remove
the bolts and loosen the bolts, then remove
the regulator through the hole in the door.
4. Apply multipurpose grease to all the sliding
surfaces of the regulator where shown.
5. Install the glass and regulator in the reverse order
of removal, and note these items:
• Roll the glass up and down to see if it moves
freely without binding.
• Make sure that there is no clearance between the
glass and glass run channel when the glass is
closed.
• Adjust the position of the glass as necessary.
• Check for water leaks.
• For ’03-04 models: Reset the power window
control unit.
• Test-drive and check for wind noise and rattles.
• When reinstalling the door panel, make sure the
plastic cover is installed properly and sealed
around its perimeter.

Finally, I managed to replace the regulator. The cable snapped and let the window remain in open position.
I am adding additional information that might help some people.
It costs about $80-100 for part and about $150 for labor.
This is based on my experience with 2004 Odyssey Drivers side window replacement.
In step 1:
It helps to remove the speaker in the door too and the 3 screws holding the panel to the door. Total 6 screws + 1 connector.

I did not remove the glass completely. I used blue 3M 2" masking tape in 4 places to hold the window in the position temporarily. It did not mess up the tint either. This tape costs $10.00 for 60 yd roll in Lowes.

Once the glass was disconnected from the old regulator. I moved the glass all the way up to take out the old regulator and put the new one in place. Then lower the glass again and fix the glass to the regulator (2 bolts) thru the holes.

The new regulator came from Honda pregreased.. so I did not have to apply any grease again.

Some of the connectors are hard to disconnect. The clip holding the motor wiring harness was the hardest.

I did not remove the moisture barrier completely. Did not know how.. since it was screwed in with other brackets and the controller. So I was working around it which made the job harder.

I also removed the bracket holding the power windows switches (2 screws) and ended up installed upside down later.!!
This let me move the moisture barrier a little more out of the way.

Here is a list of connectors that I had to remove the reconnect:

1. 1 for speakers
2. 2 for power window switch
3. 1 for power lock switch
4. 1 for inside door panel (may be for courtesy light/heater !!).
the wiring harness is restrained with a clip to the panel.
5. 2 for window motor. Thei wire is also restrained with clips to the metal door.

Screws and bolts I removed:
1. 6 for speaker (actually 3 for speaker and 3 for door panel around speaker).
2. 1 for power lock switch
3. 1 for power window switch
4. 2 for bracket holding the power window swich
5. 9 for window regulator (including 2 for holding glass, 4 for regulator, 3 for motor).

In my case, the insulation fell off as soon as I pulled the door panel. Apparently, it is glued inside. The glue came undone.
The insulation is not one big piece. There is one small piece at the top (about 1/4 of the whole) which fell off. I use Supa glue to put it back.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Not bad considering the hundred or so smackers you saved. And knowing it was done correctly has it's own merits!

Congratulations!!!

:joy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
dhackbar said:
2003 EXL-RES Odyssey...

I've got a problem.. The other day the wife was driving and heard a loud sound come from the passenger door, then the window slid inside the door. At first we thought the window broke, but after pulling off the door panel i see the window inside the door in one piece. Using the window control, i hear the motor running and I see a couple cables, but the window isn't going anywhere. I'm guessing that the cables came unattached or something, but I'm not sure exactly what i'm looking at.
Funny... or not so much...

My wife just called with a similar story concerning our 2003 EXL-RES Odyssey.

I guess I know what I'll be doing when she gets home. :(

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just got my 2001 Passanger side power window regulator replaced. Costs me $174.59 parts+ labor+ tax

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Re: Passenger Front Power Window problem

Well, this past Saturday, my wife calls and says the passenger window won't go up.

I drive to where she is and swap vehicles, bring the Odyssey home, and tear into it.

I get the regulator out, verify that's what broke, and check out the failure.

By then, it's Saturday afternoon at 2:00, and all of the local Honda dealers but one are closed for the holiday weekend, and that dealer doesn't have one.

:mad:

Oh well, I ordereded one from BernardiParts.com for $52.64 (thanks New Dad New Van), which is about $19 less than the retail my closest local Honda dealer wanted to order me one.

By the way, on the regulator, the part that attaches to the window and slides up and down the track is pulled up or down by cables. On mine, the cable that pulls the window up broke loose from this part. I fished a couple of broken plastic pieces out of the bottom of the door, but couldn't tell exactly where they had been attached.

·
Registered
59 Posts
windows slide when pushed.

the regulator on the driver side of my van was replaced due to rattling noise and it slides when pushed down last year, now problem is back again.

Just came back from the dealership and have the technician checked it and he told me that it's normal. He even show me the 09 model has the same problem.

The technician say it's the design thing. I'm not very satisfied with their conclusion because I know this thing never happens before.

So, does your front windows slide when pushed down?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Passenger Front Power Window problem

DrMark said:
Well, this past Saturday, my wife calls and says the passenger window won't go up.

I drive to where she is and swap vehicles, bring the Odyssey home, and tear into it.

I get the regulator out, verify that's what broke, and check out the failure.

By then, it's Saturday afternoon at 2:00, and all of the local Honda dealers but one are closed for the holiday weekend, and that dealer doesn't have one.

:mad:

Oh well, I ordereded one from BernardiParts.com for $52.64 (thanks New Dad New Van), which is about $19 less than the retail my closest local Honda dealer wanted to order me one.

By the way, on the regulator, the part that attaches to the window and slides up and down the track is pulled up or down by cables. On mine, the cable that pulls the window up broke loose from this part. I fished a couple of broken plastic pieces out of the bottom of the door, but couldn't tell exactly where they had been attached.
Well, UPS had delivered the stuff (also got new wiper blades, touch-up paint, and some ATF) by the time I got home from work Friday. Worked some on installation Friday night (until it was time to watch Monk and Psych with the wife) and finished up Saturday morning.

No problems.

Thanks again for the BernardiParts.com tip, New Dad New Van.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sounds like a good deal there Dr. Mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my driver's side window slide down into the door while driving tonight. Do I bother opening it up before I just order the new regulator?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
30 Participants
precidia_96
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing