Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
walrocker said:
Just had my driver's side window slide down into the door while driving tonight. Do I bother opening it up before I just order the new regulator?
Order one from Bernardi for a reasonable price and consider installing it yourself for additional savings?

Good luck...

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
They roll at different speeds

I have since (replacing the drivers side regulator with new one) noticed that the new regulator is rolling up and down faster than the passenger side one.

I don't know if this means that the passenger side one is on its way out.. or the new regulator is doing its job faster!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You might try lubricating the channels that the window slides in. It might also ease the load on the regulator and extend it's life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just tackled the job this weekend. Replaced the window regulator on the driver's side door. The old one was definitely shot. The window works like new now.

My only worry is the plastic moisture barrier inside the door. Does anyone know what that adhesive is that holds it on? I tried to heat it up with a hair dryer so the plastic would stick better. Don't know how well it will work, but everything is put back together now.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help. I estimate I saved over $200 by doing this myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I've got the Haynes manual and to remove the window glass regulator they direct you to remove the door trim panel. When you read the directions to remove the door trim panel they direct you to remove the power mirror. That isn't mentioned in this thread so I was wondering if that really needs to be done?

Thanks,

Tom

New Dad New Van said:
A good chance it is a failed window regulator ($51.51 Part #1 in this diagram http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchType=Model&Image=14S0X0_017_0003.GIF). Otherwise check the 2 bolts that fasten the window to it and make sure the electrical connectors are plugged-in.

Some relevant threads on the window falling in the door:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19473&highlight=window+fell

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34228&highlight=window+regulator
Front Door Glass and Regulator Replacement

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14182&highlight=window+regulator

Front Door Glass and Regulator
Replacement

1. Remove these items:
• Door panel
• Pull pocket bracket
• Power window control unit bracket, ’03-04
models driver’s door
• Plastic cover
2. Carefully raise the glass until you can see the bolts,
then remove them. Carefully pull the glass out
through the window slot. Take care not to drop the
glass inside the door.
3. Disconnect and detach the connectors, and
for ’03-04 models driver’s door, detach the
connectors from the door harness bracket.
Detach the harness clip from the door. Remove
the bolts and loosen the bolts, then remove
the regulator through the hole in the door.
4. Apply multipurpose grease to all the sliding
surfaces of the regulator where shown.
5. Install the glass and regulator in the reverse order
of removal, and note these items:
• Roll the glass up and down to see if it moves
freely without binding.
• Make sure that there is no clearance between the
glass and glass run channel when the glass is
closed.
• Adjust the position of the glass as necessary.
• Check for water leaks.
• For ’03-04 models: Reset the power window
control unit.
• Test-drive and check for wind noise and rattles.
• When reinstalling the door panel, make sure the
plastic cover is installed properly and sealed
around its perimeter.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
No, I think you just need to remove the inside mirror trim panel (it just pops off) so you can lift up the inside door panel to remove.

Come to think of it, you may even get by without removing the mirror panel, but it is really easy to remove anyway.

Do not remove the side mirror for this repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks New Dad,

Ok, now I think I understand the issue. I'll leave the mirror on and just get access to the trim panel. I forgot to say I'm working on a 2003 Ody EX-L.

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did this DIY last week on my 2003 EX-L front passenger door. It took me about three hours to complete, but I was trying to be extremely careful. Here are a few things I discovered during the process.

I was using the Haynes Repair Manual and postings from this web site. I also do work on my BMW 323i and the Bentley BMW manual is much more detailed than the Haynes Honda manual. Haynes doesn't always tell you everything that would make it easier on you.

The most important thing is you do not have to, and probably should not try to remove the glass from the door. I thought it would be best if I did and it wasn't coming out just by "...pulling it up and out" as the Haynes manual said. Thus I attempted to take the side mirror off and ended up breaking the plastic trim on the inside of the door and still couldn't get the glass out. No big deal, but it would have been nice to know it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Do everything else, but just tape the glass up while you remove the window regulator. Also, the manual tells you to remove the negative battery terminal, but fails to tell you that you'll need to move the window so the window glass retaining bolts line up so you can remove them. As well as to move it so you can get a grip on it to move it up and tape it out of the way. Common sense, but if you follow their directions you'll have to stop and connect the battery again to finish the job. One big caveat with this: If you don't disconnect the battery there is a chance the side airbag will blow while you disconnect/reconnect the cable!! I suggest you do as they say and just spend the time reconnecting the battery.

Somewhere along the line I removed a screw that was longer than the rest. I didn't notice this until I started putting things back together and to this day I don't know if I put it back in the right place. My fault for not paying attention to what I was removing. Don't make the same mistake.

As instructed I peeled back the watershield. The adhesive (putty like) is strong so I stretched the shield in some spots getting it off. I just pushed it back onto the door with the same adhesive when I was done and I think that will be good enough. Next time I think I'd use a knife to cut the adhesive as I was pulling on it. That way you'd have some adhesive on the watershield and the door when you push it back together. Just a thought.

After all was said and done my window still didn't go up as quickly or as smoothly as I expected. It was much better than before and I never felt it might just stop which is what I had thought before I changed the regulator. However, I sprayed some silicone on the felt guides and that helped somewhat.

This should go without saying, but be sure to check that the speaker, window button, lock button, inside door handle, and seat heater switch all work correctly before you put everything back together the final time. I didn't forget, but I could easily see myself doing that on another day.

Thanks for all the helpful postings on this web site.

Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good job

I broke the trim panel too.
I put it back in place. It does not fly off even if I if drive with the window rolled down on the freeway!!

But I would like to replace that.
Let me the part number if you can find it. Mine is probably same as yours .. since mine is a 2004.

Also, it is absolutely unnecessary to remove the glass. Taping it is the right thing to do. Since you will have to tape to twice.

All the way up, when you replace the regulator and somewhere in the middle when need to attach the window to the regulator with the 2 screws.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you use the OEM manual it shows the correct way to remove the glass by rotating the back up and out which should be quick and easy and safer than having it hang precariously on tape. I quit using Haynes in the 60's as they were getting useless as the cars became more technical oriented.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Grrr....

The wife pulled into the driveway this afternoon and BANG the regulator let go.
Then I killed the battery while I was working on door panel removal, it died 2 weeks ago, I had forgotten that it was weak.
Off to Honda tomorrow.................

·
Registered
515 Posts
well, thank goodness for extended warranties. my passenger window regulator broke the other day. took it to the local dealer here in surprise AZ (arrowhead honda) and had it replaced. im coming close to the end of my warranty so i had them give the van a once over just to see how its doing. they replaced my AC compressor (they said the clutch was generating lots of dust and causing the compressor to overheat)and put on a new CV boot as it was pulling back and seeping grease.
yes, my extended warranty has paid for itself.

pete

·
Registered
137 Posts
HELP! driver's window fell down

My wife just called from downtown, she heard a popping sound on the van's driver side. When she parked, she got out to look and the driver's window fell all the way down there seems to be no way for her to get it up.

(edit) It is a power window

It's rainy season here....

How can I remove the inside trim to temporarily prop it up (closed) and what are your thoughts on possible repairs?

This is weird. Help!

George in Albuquerque

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry folks - got a bit paniced... searched and found a solution.... I thought it was an uncommen problem. I was wrong.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you found the solution, why don't you to link it here? That way at least the next guy who runs in to this problem would not have to go through this.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
If you found the solution, why don't you to link it here? That way at least the next guy who runs in to this problem would not have to go through this.
Merged the two threads. Hopefully the next guy who runs into this problem searches. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Same thing happened to me last year. Repair is pretty simple and taking the glass out is simple too. I have an 04 ody. I got the parts at bernardi too. I have the factory helms manual and it has easily paid for itself many times over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for merging the threads - I was too harried to think about it as I searched for answers. It went back better for me than it came apart. Honda shipped the regulator in a Ready to be Installed posistion - the bolts for the window glass lined up to access holes in the metal door skin. It was pre-lubed as well, and came with 3 bolts.

I did not have to perform a reset either. The worst part of the "putting it all back together" was getting the door panel to fit back on the door, forward by the side mirror.

Just after I pulled the broke one out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Uber newbie here. Funny how so many responses to this thread start with "My wife...".
Well, the exact same thing happened to me today. I get home from work and my wife says something just went "pop" in the passenger door and the window slid down for good.
Interesting searching on this common problem here. Door trim removal and window prop up tonight. I'll order the new regulator once I've confirmed it's the problem.

Loving this board. Thanks for all of the detailed info and help here.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
30 Participants
precidia_96
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing