Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey EX (3.5 V6 w/ 9-Speed ZF Auto) Forest Green Mint
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone! We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey EX with about 45k miles on it. Once we had new, it gave us nothing but, problems. The issues we had were the 9 speed tranny not shifting well. The sliding doors wouldn’t latch, especially by the passenger side.
RESULTS: In case of the 9 speed tranny, it seemed the be fixed by a throttle body cleaning, hard battery reset, tps relearn. Still shifts okay but, it’s unrefined. The 24mph to 25 mph shift was the most harshest. The sliding door latch was fixed with the recall notice. (Both kinda fixed around 38k miles)
NEW PROBLEM! —HOWEVER, just yesterday around 9:25AM, I opened the passenger side sliding door using the “OPEN” button from the driver seat. Suddenly I heard a huge “BOOM!” I thought it was like a water bottle being jammed or something. As I got home, I realized that the rear passenger quarter panel window was broken. The plastic or rubber molding under the rear quarter panel window and near the sliding door latch assembly was missing. I’ve looked by the curb and I saw the molding with shattered glass. There was nothing protruding in the way in order for the assembly to fail such as tree branches or a wall. We always park the vehicle at the sidewalk curb because, that’s the only option in our residence. Living in Los Angeles, the temperature yesterday was about 60 degrees high. I’ve heard in some posts that, window may shatter when experiencing extreme weather conditions. I live in Los Angeles so, weather has nothing to do with this.
CONCLUSION: I haven’t gone to repair the vehicle yet. Thinking of heading to the dealership to fix it and inform them that, this seems like a defect. (Although, I think the dealership won’t honor that) It currently has about 45k miles so, the limited warranty is out. What should I do? Should I contact a lemon law lawyer? Help Please!
Overall Vehicle Condition: Currently, the 9-Speed Transmission I started earlier seems to shift okay. However, at times, especially light throttle, it seems confused and unrefined. The new problem of the sliding door latch, exploding the window. On FM Radio, the speaker sometimes makes immense amount of static noise. The touch screen sometimes ”loses power” “Hold three seconds to activate”
PLEASE POST A REPLY IF YOU’VE HAVE EXPERIENCE ANY OF MY ISSUES AND HOW‘D YOU GUYS RESOLVED IT. I WILL POST UPDATES IN REGARDS TO THE SITUATION.
UPDATE: September 30, 2020.
Yes, it took me 6 months to get it to the dealership which sounds fishy but, COVID-19 put the slammer and therefore, didn't want to risk being infected until today where, 2 recalls had been mailed to us.
Went to a local stealership and quoted me, $882.94 + TAX to fix the quarter window. (Passenger Side 3rd Row Window) (Basically nearly, $1,000) Didn't oblige and instead, called American Honda. American Honda said, if a Honda technician thinks it's a manufacture defect then they may pay for the damages. Nevertheless, I'm sure you folks out there already smell the answers with these sleezeballs. Next step, get a quote from an independent auto body to see if it's cheaper. I WILL UPDATE YOU GUYS AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE SO ANYONE WHO HAS THE SAME ISSUE CAN DISCUSS. (SEE MY RESPONSES BELOW)
UPDATE: October 09, 2020.
I have gotten multiple estimates from different body shops and so far, they're around the $700 price range. All were somewhat unconfident about the job and afraid of the window issue reoccurring. I've committed to one body shop locally, and he seems to be legit. Only time will tell. I will update as soon as it's done.
LAST UPDATE: OCTOBER 28, 2020.
$700 Total for the sliding door repair. So far so good. $220 for a transmission fluid change.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Which is why, Consumer Reports, downgraded Honda Odysseys, to below average in reliability.

I hope Honda, get's it act together. But I have my doubts. :mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, you have no case, and lemon law doesn’t apply in your situation.

Just file a claim with your insurance.
If I file an insurance claim, I assume my insurance premiums will go up in the future right? By the way, my deductible is $1,000 and I doubt the repair is more than that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which window is that? Is it the window in the sliding door or the unmoveable window that extends to the back of the van? Thanks.
It's the unmovable window, I'm going to take a picture of it later. The plastic trim under the window exploded off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which is why, Consumer Reports, downgraded Honda Odysseys, to below average in reliability.

We had a 2005 Odyssey EXL with Nav. Bought it brand new. It was totaled so thats why we bought the 2018 one. Super trash. Definitely get the 10-speed one which is EX-L and above as those are refined.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please excuse the hideous cameraman haha but, here are the pictures of the damage. The broken window is on the passenger side. The driver side window picture is just for reference. Notice the plastic molding by the sliding door assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
It's the unmovable window, I'm going to take a picture of it later. The plastic trim under the window exploded off.
Thanks for your response and your pictures. Kinda reminds me of what I've read about sun roof explosions in cars. Seems like, as a pure guess, the design engineers have not allowed for different expansion characteristics between glass and metal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your response and your pictures. Kinda reminds me of what I've read about sun roof explosions in cars. Seems like, as a pure guess, the design engineers have not allowed for different expansion characteristics between glass and metal.
I went to the dealership today, and basically told me to pay up. Honda's are crooks. It was my fault for not taking it sooner.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
624 Posts
How bizarre. Have you gotten a quote yet for the rear window panel? I wouldn't imagine it costing more than the windshield; however, that panel has the antenna looking lines (defrosters) on the glass so it may cost more than the driver side? How much did they quote you? The stealership that is... them crooks!

We had a 2005 Odyssey EXL with Nav. Bought it brand new. It was totaled so thats why we bought the 2018 one. Super trash. Definitely get the 10-speed one which is EX-L and above as those are refined.
I know what you mean, I've owned hondas and acuras for decades and have just seen hondas decline down the drain in quality. This very well may be our last honda as much as I love the van... the build quality and other issues are just a sore to think about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
How bizarre. Have you gotten a quote yet for the rear window panel? I wouldn't imagine it costing more than the windshield; however, that panel has the antennas on the glass so it may cost more than the driver side? How much did they quote you? The stealership that is... them crooks!

I know what you mean, I've owned hondas and acuras for decades and have just seen hondas decline down the drain in quality. This very well may be our last honda as much as I love the van... the build quality and other issues are just a sore to think about.
Yeah, just went to the stealership and ask the service consultant about it. He said this is an "external issue" and it will cost $800+ to repair. (PDF Attached Below) Looking back, in the way it's kind of our fault for not bringing in the vehicle as soon as it happened. When we opened the passenger sliding door, we heard a huge bang and thought, a water bottle bottle was stuck. Also, the 3/36k limited warranty was already over. As stated above, this happened approximately 6 months ago and this was the beginning of the COVID-19 era so therefore, we didn't want to go. This itself is understandably sketchy but, at the same time, we didn't want to have the risk of any COVID-19 infections. I've contacted American Honda and the representative basically said really the only option is to have a different or same Honda Dealership Technician investigate the damage and relay the information to American Honda if the technician found this problem to be either a manufacture defect or an issue of the recall about the sliding door we had done in August. Nevertheless, you already know what these sleeseballs gonna say, pay up of course. Sigh
So far, we're thinking of getting the vehicle to have another estimate from an independent body shop. If it's cheaper than the stealership, then we'll proceed.

Also, I would like to share the experience with the stealership. Back when we had to bring in the vehicle about the tranny, the stealership service consultant thinking our transmission jerkiness was due to fuel injectors and asked me where I usually pump my gas. (DOES IT MATTER?) He doesn't realize that the, gasoline industry is government mandated and has to at least reach the minimal requirements. On top of that, the technician wasn't able to replicate our tranny jerk issue, he insisted and offered us to ride in another customer's odyssey and we were riding in a 2018 Odyssey Touring. I told the tech beforehand, it's not the same it doesn't have the 9-speed tranny. The sleeseball technician said "no, it's all the same." When we test drove the customer's 2018 Odyssey Touring, he was like "Ohh yeah this ones a lot smoother." Honda Technician knows a lot less than a customer? WOW.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
This 2018 Honda Odyssey EX with (3.5 V6 w/ 9-Speed Auto) is a pile of diarrhea. Nearly 3 years of ownership (bought brand new) with 48k miles and had nothing but, transmission problems, sliding door problems, sliding door operations causing the passenger quarter window explosion, vehicle saying "BRAKE" randomly (Rare issue but still). I know I may sound like a mom trying to complain about things but, it upsets me that we're spending 35k on a brand new vehicle and yet, it has more issues than a way older car. Basically, this car is a lemon in my opinion but, I'm afraid it's a little too late. Looking back, despite these issues are obviously not my fault but, kinda feel like, I let myself down on not reporting the issues quickly enough. Lesson Learned. Please share this to folks who have a similar issue to any stated above. Thanks for the replies and remember, STAY DANGEROUS! If you stay safe, safes get cracked! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Everyone! We have a 2018 Honda Odyssey EX with about 45k miles on it. Once we had new, it gave us nothing but, problems. The issues we had were the 9 speed tranny not shifting well. The sliding doors wouldn’t latch, especially by the passenger side.
RESULTS: In case of the 9 speed tranny, it seemed the be fixed by a throttle body cleaning, hard battery reset, tps relearn. Still shifts okay but, it’s unrefined. The 24mph to 25 mph shift was the most harshest. The sliding door latch was fixed with the recall notice. (Both kinda fixed around 38k miles)
NEW PROBLEM! —HOWEVER, just yesterday around 9:25AM, I opened the passenger side sliding door using the “OPEN” button from the driver seat. Suddenly I heard a huge “BOOM!” I thought it was like a water bottle being jammed or something. As I got home, I realized that the rear passenger quarter panel window was broken. The plastic or rubber molding under the rear quarter panel window and near the sliding door latch assembly was missing. I’ve looked by the curb and I saw the molding with shattered glass. There was nothing protruding in the way in order for the assembly to fail such as tree branches or a wall. We always park the vehicle at the sidewalk curb because, that’s the only option in our residence. Living in Los Angeles, the temperature yesterday was about 60 degrees high. I’ve heard in some posts that, window may shatter when experiencing extreme weather conditions. I live in Los Angeles so, weather has nothing to do with this.
CONCLUSION: I haven’t gone to repair the vehicle yet. Thinking of heading to the dealership to fix it and inform them that, this seems like a defect. (Although, I think the dealership won’t honor that) It currently has about 45k miles so, the limited warranty is out. What should I do? Should I contact a lemon law lawyer? Help Please!
Overall Vehicle Condition: Currently, the 9-Speed Transmission I started earlier seems to shift okay. However, at times, especially light throttle, it seems confused and unrefined. The new problem of the sliding door latch, exploding the window. On FM Radio, the speaker sometimes makes immense amount of static noise. The touch screen sometimes ”loses power” “Hold three seconds to activate”
PLEASE POST A REPLY IF YOU’VE HAVE EXPERIENCE ANY OF MY ISSUES AND HOW‘D YOU GUYS RESOLVED IT. I WILL POST UPDATES IN REGARDS TO THE SITUATION.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Consumer Reports unfortunately is not a good source. I'm sure they work with the manufacture because, some of their rankings are B-A-N-A-N-A-S. Despite my issues with the 2018 Honda Odyssey EX (FWD 3.5 V6 w/ 9-Speed Auto), I'd say the Odyssey are reliable but, get one with the 10-Speed Auto. DON'T EVER GET THE 9-SPEED. The 3.5 V6 engine is phenomenal. The other parts, fit and finish, not so much but, I believe I'm stuck with a lemon. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,335 Posts
How bizarre. Have you gotten a quote yet for the rear window panel? I wouldn't imagine it costing more than the windshield; however, that panel has the antennas on the glass so it may cost more than the driver side? How much did they quote you? The stealership that is... them crooks!
Windshield is usually the cheapest to replace as they're the ones most often replaced and there is a lot of aftermarket available.
And I always believed those lines to be rear defrosters, not antennas, as it is the only window besides the very rear one that you would turn to look through when backing up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your mistake was buying the first year of a redesigned car. That's a huge no no, no matter the brand. And a redesigned model with a brand new transmission... no way Jose. You gotta get one a couple years after the redesign so that the company makes improvements. In this case, Honda scrapped the 9 speed in 2020 and put the 10 speed in all models.

I had a 98 Accord I bought used in 2004. I was well versed and read up on the transmission issues that they were having at the time. Test drove the car and found the service paperwork in the glovebox, a brand new transmission had been put in at 65k miles. In those 6 years since 1998 Honda had made improvements and a new transmission fixed it. Never gave me a lick of trouble for the 4 years I owned it, although I was super conservative and changed transmission fluid every 12k miles, and every other time I had them do it 3x to be damn sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a good source when one doesn't agree with them, but the Bible when one does. lol.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider Consumer Reports a reliable source but, I guess it may be a good reference point. Every vehicle unfortunately is going to turn out different. In our case, pile of dog poop. The worse source would be J.D. Power because, they award Chevrolets like if it was a Russian tank and they make any award that, they can come up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Windshield is usually the cheapest to replace as they're the ones most often replaced and there is a lot of aftermarket available.
And I always believed those lines to be rear defrosters, not antennas, as it is the only window besides the very rear one that you would turn to look through when backing up.
Mr. Serega12, I believe you're correct. I had called a window repair place and wasn't able to give me a quote because, according to them, that passenger side fixed panel can only be found at the dealer. He said, only option is to go to a junkyard because, he wasn't able to find any aftermarket parts. Yes, those lines in the window I would assume are defrosters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your mistake was buying the first year of a redesigned car. That's a huge no no, no matter the brand. And a redesigned model with a brand new transmission... no way Jose. You gotta get one a couple years after the redesign so that the company makes improvements. In this case, Honda scrapped the 9 speed in 2020 and put the 10 speed in all models.

I had a 98 Accord I bought used in 2004. I was well versed and read up on the transmission issues that they were having at the time. Test drove the car and found the service paperwork in the glovebox, a brand new transmission had been put in at 65k miles. In those 6 years since 1998 Honda had made improvements and a new transmission fixed it. Never gave me a lick of trouble for the 4 years I owned it, although I was super conservative and changed transmission fluid every 12k miles, and every other time I had them do it 3x to be damn sure.
Yeah you're correct! The reason why we purchased the 2018 Odyssey was that our beloved, 2005 Odyssey with Nav had been totaled. Thus, we needed a vehicle quickly at the time because, we were planning a trip with loved ones. We were about to get the 18 Sienna but, since we loved our 2005 Odyssey and the notion of a fully redesigned vehicle, we fell for it. After the several recalls had been done for the 18 Odyssey, the dealer had offered us 23k I think but, we felt like at the time that must be the end of our issues. Boy oh boy we were wrong. Ahh I see, these Honda crooks knew this issue coming and scrapped the 9-Speed. Smart move for them other wise, class action lawsuit would be boiling right now if the 9-Speed was still around.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts