Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Passenger Sliding Door - Dead

11808 22
Yesterday, after closing the passenger side sliding door by pulling on the exterior handle (door closed fine by the way), a warning light appeared on the dash and the door is now "electrically dead". It can still be operated manually. I've checked the 20A fuse in the passenger kick panel and it is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was "the fix"

Steve
---------------------------------------
2005 Odyssey EX-L Slate Grey Pearl (Sagebrush in the US?)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Do search on this forum - I believe EricD at some point had a post on how to reset the door - I "believe" (so you must check) it involves removing fuse #7 (passenger side fuse panel), waiting 2 mins, and putting it back in. Be ready to have your radio pin handy as you will need to re-enter it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing the #7 fuse several times for progressively longer periods of time (15 minutes the last time) did not yield results.

Disconnecting the battery terminal did the the trick.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (I'll search better the next time).

Steve

· Registered
294 Posts
It's actually fuse #7 on Drivers side fuse panel. Also, I have had 1 van in last week that the reset did not work. The van also set a body dtc. we had to clear this code first, then the door worked.

Eric

· Registered
1,198 Posts
My driver side slider stopped working Sunday, the sliding door light came on. Stopped by the dealer today and he said that they had to clear two codes to get it reset. He mentioned that the door also kicked out the window power also. He said that mine was the second one that he has seen in two weeks. He blamed it on the door being frozen and that I tried to open it. Strange that the door stopped working sometime in the afternoon and that it was at the third place that I went to, also I told him that I have put silicone grease on the door seals and that my doors do not freeze shut. All this time when the sliding door idiot light was on, it worked fine manually.

EridD, will the trick with fuse #7 work if an error code was stored? or does this need to go to the dealer to be cleared first?

· Registered
3 Posts
It

Hi,

we had this problem a month back and two days back, both the time dealer fixed it ... the reason they gave was due to extreme cold .. and it seems that is correct as whenever this has happened the temp was around -20 to -30 and its exactly same door Driver side passenger door.
was it same for you as well ?

regards

Milind

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I misread EricD's original post and was removing the #7 fuse from the passenger side fuse box. Coincidentally, this fuse is also 7.5 amps and this is why pulling the fuse didn't work. I likely did not have to disconnect the battery terminal.

I sure appreciate this forum as I'd rather try simple things myself rather than have to take it to the dealer.

Steve
--------------------------------
'05 EX-L Slate Grey Pearl

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Re: It

milindks said:
Hi,

we had this problem a month back and two days back, both the time dealer fixed it ... the reason they gave was due to extreme cold .. and it seems that is correct as whenever this has happened the temp was around -20 to -30 and its exactly same door Driver side passenger door.
was it same for you as well ?

regards

Milind
No, not that cold yet, it was 20 on Sunday when it stopped working but tonight it will be 0 so we'll see if it acts up again this week, like I said, with the silicone grease on the top seals, I don't expect the doors to freeze shut.

· Registered
2 Posts
New Owner! and Driver's side sliding door

Hello to all...

This forum is great!!...after lurking here for about 3 weeks, I made a purchase of a Touring with Nav/Res. Midnight Blue....I have owned 3 Chrysler Vans prior to this...and got tired of the cars becoming money pits at around 50,000 miles....I could not be more pleased...This Van is awesome...Love all the toys!...Thanks to all here for the great information....Now onto the question....

My Drivers side sliding door stopped working last night (it was about 8 degrees) Which fuse should I pull to reset the door...just looking for some clarification...

Thanks....

-M

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New Owner! and Driver's side sliding door

managerman said:
Hello to all...

This forum is great!!...after lurking here for about 3 weeks, I made a purchase of a Touring with Nav/Res. Midnight Blue....I have owned 3 Chrysler Vans prior to this...and got tired of the cars becoming money pits at around 50,000 miles....I could not be more pleased...This Van is awesome...Love all the toys!...Thanks to all here for the great information....Now onto the question....

My Drivers side sliding door stopped working last night (it was about 8 degrees) Which fuse should I pull to reset the door...just looking for some clarification...

Thanks....

-M
Check here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21420

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Re: New Owner! and Driver's side sliding door

managerman said:
Hello to all...

Thanks....

-M
Congrats on the new van.. good color choice!! Get some Slyglide from NAPA Auto and put it on the upper door seals, this will prevent the door from freezing shut when it is below freezing.

Last night, temperature was below zero, this morning it was still at zero when I when to start the van (it is outside... wife gets the garage) van started up no problem, both sliders worked also. Guess the problem that caused the door to stop may not have been cold weather.

· Registered
3 Posts
We have had the pass. side power sliding door die 3 times now. The van is less than 2 months old and has less than 1,000 miles. Our crappy Chevy Venture NEVER had power sliding door problems. But ... I'll take broken doors on an Ody over working doors on a Venture anyday!

Our Honda service dept asked me to leave the van for the entire day so they could address the problem. They just called me. There were 5 codes stored. They cleared the codes and reset the door. They said Honda knows there is a problem with the doors, which they believe is caused by moisture. There is nothing they can do to fix it, other than reset the codes/door. The service guy said he would keep in touch with me about this. They expect Honda to find a solution eventually. He recommends that I do NOT USE THE DOOR! OMG! And for extra added fun when they were attempting to fix the door they cracked the door panel. Ugh! He ordered me a new one but of course I will have to take the van back AGAIN to get that fixed.

I am very frustrated by this right now.

I will definately try the fuse trick next time the door stops working. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
160 Posts
We also had a passenger sliding door failure, but ours was of a slightly different character.

We were traveling with my Mom, and she was having trouble with the whole concept of "the doors close themselves."

She was outside, pulled the handle, and as the door moved she kept tugging on the handle. She's not a huge, buffed out person, although she was giving it a good pull.

The door stopped with a loud, sickening "thunk." After which it wouldn't close automatically and it took me 20 minutes to close it manually.

It turns out she had managed to break both the track in which the door slides and the guide that goes in the track.

The dealer fixed it no questions asked, and said that they've never seen someone actually break the track in either a 2nd or 3rd gen Ody.

I told my mom to lay off the steroids. ;)

· Registered
1,198 Posts
OdyMommato3 said:

I will definately try the fuse trick next time the door stops working. Thanks for the info.
If your doors do not work automatically, just turn off the power switch for the doors (driver door armrest) and the doors work great manually.

· Registered
2 Posts
2000 Odyssey

My automatic driver sliding door died after trying to open it when it was frozen (had silicon sprayed the seal 2 months ago, anyway...). I pulled the #1 fuse on passenger side (manual said this was for the driver sliding door) for 5 minutes- no help. Then I disconnected the negative battery terminal for < 1 min.

That did the trick.

Did have to reset the radio code.

Thanks to all who posted.

dnatus

· Registered
218 Posts
To expand on the "pull the #7 fuse fix". When you do this (per the Honda service manual - Rohoming the Doors, page 22-436), do all of these steps:

1) Key off
2) Turn main switch for power doors off
3) Pull #7 fuse in panel located on driver's side kick panel
4) Put #7 fuse back in
5) Open either door manually, until completely open
6) Close the door until completely closed
7) Open the other door manually, until completely open
8) Close the door until completely closed
9) Turn ignition switch to ON (III)
10) Turn on the main switch for the power door
11) Check each door for proper operation

My passenger side door stopped working, and is now (knock on wood!) working fine again once I went through this procedure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.