Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son opened the passenger rear slider just as my wife was pulling into our tight garage, and the front of the door made contact with the side of the garage opening. She immediately backed out and tried to shut the door but it wouldn't go. I now have the van (2011 EX-L RES) in the garage and here are the issues:

-Luckily, no paint damage.

-The top slider attachment appears to be fine and in its tracks.

-I got the slider assembly cover off along the back body panel and the two plastic wheels appear to be in good shape, except the track was bent out in one spot so the front roller popped out.

-The major problem is the bottom roller. It also bent the track in one spot and the two white rollers are outside the track towards the inner part of the van. I have spent the better part of the last two hours trying to pry it back in the track, with no luck. There is a bottom roller that rolls along the base of that track, and it seems to be stuck in a little groove, preventing me from lowering that bracket and pulling the door outwards. I'm worried about bending the track more.

At this point I may just start taking the brackets off. If I can get the rollers back in the tracks, then fix the bent areas of the track, then attach the door, I'll take my chances with the adjustments.

And yes...the sliding door shutoff will be used more frequently, my son will be moved to the third row (impending twins will assume the captains chairs anyways), and we'll be a bit more careful entering the garage.

Ugh.

·
Registered
170 Posts
the bigger question would be:

how is your son able to reach the door open switch in the first place?

unless he's older.

I know neither of my daughters can reach it when strapped into their seats.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I have auto locks programmed so unless I put in P or open the locks, the locks don't open. The door doesn't open in D either. We also have a rule. We stop the Oddy in the drive way and let every one out (tight garage) and then we pull in the Oddy into the garage. Same rule for getting on. They can get on from the passenger side but usually the kids wait for my wife or I to pull the oddy out on the drive way before hopping on. Since we cannot open the tail gate (hits the garage door), we have to pull out the oddy to load/unload the trunk any way. Has worked fine so far. :)

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Very unfortunate accident. Suggest you replace any bent parts that you remove so everything will work together again when reassembled. Otherwise, this door may be bothersome forever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
this is one of my greatest fears as I have a 2 year old that has already learned how to open and close the door!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts