Honda Odyssey Forum banner

passenger window stopped working

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sontakke 
#1 ·
today my pass side window stopped working. i had it half way down and when i tried to raise it up, i heard some sound and it stopped. any ideas? how do you take apart the door panels?

#2 ·
The door panel come off like most cars. Remove a few screws holding covers / pockets in place and then pop the christmas tree type fasteners. More than likely you need a new regulator. I think about $100 for the part. You could get lucky and something has just come unconnected.

#3 ·
Thanks - Another Issue - Engine Mounts Worn/Collapsed

Thanks for the reply. Since I needed the vehicle today, I took it to the shop and paid about $350. Wish it happened close to a weekend so that I could have done it myself.

When Honda did their inspection, they found that 3 of my engine mounts have worn out or collapsed and needs replacing. My van has 61K miles on it and is this supposed to happen (no accidents)? Replacement of these is going out to be about $1200. Any thoughts?

They also found
1. inner CV joint boots worn or leaking
2. left and right sway bar links worn/loose

I suddenly feel like I am driving a lemon. They gave me an estimate for $2500 for all these replacements. I am not sure whether I should do these or sell the van and buy a ford/chevy or something. Are Honda vehicles this bad or it just happened to ME?:confused: :confused: :confused:

#4 ·
Wow - sounds like they weren't happy with just $350 from you and went on an expedition. It is hard to believe that all that stuff is worn out / broken at 61K. Maybe get a 2nd opinion.

We had 2 bad motor mounts on our '01 at about 100K. They said these 2 take most of the load. Hard to believe that all 3 of yours are bad.

#5 ·
Definitely get second opinion, and consider having the mounts done elsewhere. If the mounts are bad, you might be able to just replace the upper one in front of the passenger, and the front one down by the radiator. I did both myself, but it was some work on that front one and requires some mechanical experience. This is all our 2004 Ody has needed and we have 103,000 miles. We have not needed any front end work, but then again, we do not ask the dealer to look for problems, because they will always find some. They are excellent vans. Good luck.

#6 ·
tom34diy said:
Definitely get second opinion, and consider having the mounts done elsewhere. If the mounts are bad, you might be able to just replace the upper one in front of the passenger, and the front one down by the radiator. I did both myself, but it was some work on that front one and requires some mechanical experience. This is all our 2004 Ody has needed and we have 103,000 miles. We have not needed any front end work, but then again, we do not ask the dealer to look for problems, because they will always find some. They are excellent vans. Good luck.
I would take it to another dealer ask them to check these things for you and don't tell them what the first dealer said... also a good independent mechanic would be fine for a second or even third opinion ...My friend went to the dealer for an oil change and the dealer said " your air conditioner is not right it needs re-charged etc. etc. " they wanted $295.00 for that ...She brought the car to me asking about this I ran the air conditioner and it worked great very cold and no noises ...I told her that guy just needed some money and figured he would get it from YOU ! ...After that She drove that car for YEARS with no air conditioner problems ...So my policy is buyer beware !

BOB in VERY windy Michigan

#8 ·
second opinion update

I went to another honda dealer today and stood with him. guest what: he showed me what tie bar sway links are and there were very slight grease and he said this is alright. when you see tie bar with more grease then it is time for concern. the CV boots looked very clean. he revved up the engine back and forth to check the engine mounts and said that those are alight too. what is going on? are honda dealers like some other auto parts store? they were trying to rob me of $2000!

#9 · (Edited)
Your second Honda dealer is an exception! Now you have a dealer for life. Please don't go to any other place even if you get tempted. Often people will rationalize saying, "but that shop is more convenient" or "but I had a coupon" or "they give rides" or "free loaner car". Don't fall for it.

It is VERY rare to find a honest repair shop. Once you find it, don't price shop any further.

I have seen too many of my friends and colleagues go back to dishonest shop even after knowing not to.

- Vikas

#11 ·
As a matter of fact, ask for the same service adviser and the same mechanic for your future services. Don't forget to give them stellar reviews when they send you the survey. You really really want to keep these people in the business. Tell your friends and relatives of your experience.

- Vikas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.