Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced the PAX tires in Jan 2009. (29Kmiles) We also received a some small $ from the Class Action Lawsuit as they were worn about in 26k miles.

Last week , after just another 20k MILES (49k), they are worn out again. 2 front tires now, rear tires in a few months. Honda and an Independent service center gave us the option of totally replacing rims etc as discussed on this forum. (almost 2k)

Honda Dealer showed us where there is space for a spare "regular tire", (donut?) and mentioned that while traveling a 17" tire may be hard to find (?)

HONDA suggested we contact Michelin as it appears there is not only Wear but also Dry Rot.

Has anyone had any luck contacting Michelin directly?

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Best bet is too replace the tires and rims with non-PAX as that is what I did. You can find threads on this fourm that discuss the issue in more depth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think everybody can agree that the best course of action is to buy my PAX tires. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/23-buy-sell-trade/152755-pax-wheel-set-260-a.html

Seriously though, I wouldn't think you'd get much satisfaction going to Michelin given the age and mileage on the tires. Especially since they know you're not going to buy replacements from another company. :D

If you're fed up with PAX I second the suggestion to look into depax options, starting with the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't consider 20+-K miles high mileage, or 3 years old. I just emailed Michelin, said they had dry rot, gave them the tread info............they called me INSTANTLY, said the Dealer must call them and describe the dry rot etc. Case is open.

I did ask for a Cash refund of some kind. More to follow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ho Ho

The Dealer started hemming and hawing when I told him what to do. He admitted the dry rot was not that bad (superficial), and that 5 32nds on the front tires wasn't too bad, that 3 32nds is when you need to think about replacing! Rear tires are 6 32nds.

Sounds like he was trying to push an unecessary Immediate sale, when in fact we can get some more good miles.

Will see what he says tomorrow after he calls Michelin.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've got ~50,000 miles on the 2nd set of PAX tires. First set went about 47k, I've got it documented somewhere here on Odyclub. I'm going to put 100k on the vehicle before I replace tires. Yes, they are worn. They have less wear than the first set did at 47k. The reason, I keep my air pressures 40+ since putting the 2nd set on the vehicle. One thing you to have to tolerate is the the 'look' of wear on the outside treadblock.

The outer treadblock is what is called, a "bridge," from what I remember. When the tire goes flat, there is extra thick rubber on the outer tread blocks that help keep the plastic ring inside centered on the center of the tire. So the tire will remain in place AT SPEED even with 0 psi. If it didn't, the tire would fold over, ride really rough and possibly chuck the tire off the rim. This "bridge" I think it's called, has thicker rubber inside and out, and that thickness protrudes up into the outer tread block. Therefore when the tire wears, this outer edge appears to be wearing faster. Actually its not, it just doesn't have the tread depth that the rest of the tire has. And you'll have to tolerate the 'worn look' of that outer treadblock.

That's why the dealer and Michelin will tell you to judge tire wear at the center of the tires. And yes, my tires have less than 5/32nds. I'd say I'm at 3/32nds, maybe less, all around. I keep them rotated and they wear even.

The vehicle has never had an alignment either. I can't complain. They're more expensive, but they do have a benefit in the case of a flat, even more if it's a blow-out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We also keep ours rotated & have aligned once. Amazing you got 50k and 47K,,,,,,,

Did you have your air pressure @ 40 with the first set, and do you think this makes them last longer?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No, didn't have it set that high the first set. And yes, I think it makes a difference.

Granted you do have to tolerate harder impacts on certain road undulations. But not something we've ever had a problem with. Matter of fact, I notice some sharp inputs from the road due to the air psi, but the wife has never said a word to me about it, if she's ever noticed anything.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hawkinomics - I'd be interested in your wheels and tires if they weren't so far away. That could get me another 25k to 45k miles I bet! It's downhill from Canada to Atlanta, just start them rolling, and I'll paypal you the money! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Haha, well if you can wait a month and I still have them I'll probably be headed your way on my way to FL. I could deliver them to your door for a small additional charge. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would be interested, if you still have them by then. Although, the small additional charge would have to be small.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MICHELIN has agreed to give us 60% OFF on new Pax tires due to the Dry Rot.

Of course we pay for alignment, and maybe "gel packs", whatever they are ($32.)???

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got 51000 on two year old pax tires on a 125000 mile '06 touring. They are at 5/32 now so I have a month or so before replacement. I'm trying to decide...de-pax or not. New Pax cost $ 1179 plus install charge. New wheels and conventional tires are less than $1000 but I'm not sure about ride, handling, mileage etc. We are happy with all right now but all the Honda people are amazed at the great mileage and the tire guys say pax haven't been made for three years so all pax are old stock. Any one care to comment...or give advice?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got 51000 on two year old pax tires on a 125000 mile '06 touring. They are at 5/32 now so I have a month or so before replacement. I'm trying to decide...de-pax or not. New Pax cost $ 1179 plus install charge. New wheels and conventional tires are less than $1000 but I'm not sure about ride, handling, mileage etc. We are happy with all right now but all the Honda people are amazed at the great mileage and the tire guys say pax haven't been made for three years so all pax are old stock. Any one care to comment...or give advice?
Super lucky you got 51k miles. We have put on 2 sets of tires with only 55k miles on our 05 ODY touring. 1 set in 2009 with 28k miles
However, complained to Honda and got a discount of 50% Jan 2012 , maybe part of a lawsuit, I don't remember.
We did investigate new wheels etc, yes less money.

Honda does offer that option. But the rep said it would not handle/ride as well as with the Pax. don't know if it was BS or not, but we stayed with Pax

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 Touring we bought new. I only have 53000 miles on it, but I've been through 3 sets of PAX tires. I dePAXed just last week finally. One of my PAX tires appeared to have dry rot on the sidewall.

I wish I had dePAXed sooner. The ride and handling have improved. Noise for me is about the same, just a lower frequency maybe. The main thing though, is I can get flat tires repaired anywhere. I now have choices as to tire manufacturers when I replace the tires, and the tires will be much cheaper. Mileage should improve as well.

I think getting rid of PAX is the way to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to mention, our last set of Pax tires were replaced because of dry rot that is why 50% off. I will depax the next time.......Thanx for input

1 - 18 of 18 Posts