Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am closer to Denton, but will travel...

So, after doing some troubleshooting, I am fairly certain my PCM is the problem. As a matter of fact, all the other codes it was starting to throw are all linked to the PCM, so it all makes so much sense. I found a very clean, low mileage PCM on eBay through a good seller. Now I just need someone to program it, as well as have my keys relearned.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone that can do this in North Central Texas? I really don't want to go to the Honda dealer. They've been blowing up my phone and email as it is, trying to get me to buy a new one. Yeah, it's their job, but I'm not in the position to.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am closer to Denton, but will travel...

So, after doing some troubleshooting, I am fairly certain my PCM is the problem.

As a matter of fact, all the other codes it was starting to throw are all linked to the PCM, so it all makes so much sense.

I found a very clean, low mileage PCM on eBay through a good seller.
Now I just need someone to program it, as well as have my keys relearned.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone that can do this in North Central Texas?

I really don't want to go to the Honda dealer. They've been blowing up my phone and email as it is, trying to get me to buy a new one.

Yeah, it's their job, but I'm not in the position to.
Your welcome

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Just as a point of info, the PCM is usually the most reliable thing on your van.

Look for cables and bad connectors and wet junction boxes like the one behind the driver's kick panel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as a point of info, the PCM is usually the most reliable thing on your van.

Look for cables and bad connectors and wet junction boxes like the one behind the driver's kick panel.
I followed a troubleshooting guide that was provided to me on another thread, and all the wiring checked out, connections are fine, and the next step is to test the car with a good PCM. The guide really indicates that if it’s not the wiring, it’s the PCM. The O2 sensor that is not reading electrical activity, that wiring goes straight to the PCM. I have a camshaft position sensor not reading either, and I had that replaced a few years ago.. It seems like all roads are really leading back to the PCM, I don’t know what else it could be.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
With the correct vin the ebay seller should have been able to program the pcm to your van. Look up reman pcm's online, and maybe if you mail them your pcm they could check yours, for a fee, and if it is bad send you another.

Again, pcm's are remarkably reliable, almost amazingly so.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
Honda's guides say to swap PCM with a known good PCM as a troubleshooting step, though that's not always warranted and it's not always correct. Don't think I've ever heard of PCM failure on this gen.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yup. I love how often that's a troubleshooting suggestion from Honda. I Keep two spare PCMs in my garage just for that purpose. Doesn't everyone???

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
To be fair, those guides aren't necessarily meant for the average DIYer, they're meant for a Honda tech. I doubt the average DIYer has access to HDS, another common troubleshooting suggestion.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There are scan tools that can do (virtually) all the things the HDS tool can.

Question about fairness: If a Honda tech substitutes a PCM from the dealer parts inventory, powers the system up and starts the car, and the problem remains.

He takes it back out, and is it now still a "new" part, since it has been installed and operated? Do you think the dealer would sell it as new?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts
I suppose, yes... and to be fair, the PCM would have 0 miles on it. That's basically new.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I suppose, yes... and to be fair, the PCM would have 0 miles on it. That's basically new.
Below are excerpts from Majestic's return policy. In line with all dealer pars departments I am familiar with. I'll let them speak for themselves.
  • We cannot take back installed or tried parts.
  • Electrical parts are not returnable.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
It's also possible that the service department has some known good PCMs that are reserved strictly for them and are used when needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts