Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help replacng my 2004 Honda Odyssey PCV Valve? Can someone provide me photos and/or diagrams of its location? Maybe some directions and or tips if ou think it will help. I want to have some ideea what I am doing before I start.

Also, does anyone know if the PCV valve is standard or spring-loaded?

I had to replace my 2002 Accord and I thought would do this one before it goes bad. that was easy, becuase the PCV valve was staring you right in the face.

120K miles on my 2004 Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is a standard PCV. It is located on the drivers side of the engine (road side). The only bad thin is you have to remove the upper intake manifold to replace it. Once you have the intake off, you can see it right on the drivers side. Then you have to reinstall the upper intake manifold and torque the bolts down to proper torque specs and sequence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2000, it's located on driver side on the top of the rear valve cover. You'll have to unbolt & remove the top engine cover/shroud to gain access. See Pc. 2 on the diagram below.

Honda PCV Valve Location Diagram.png

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ditto on my 2002. Take off the engine cover (4 bolts) and you have access. Took not even 15 minutes. I replaced the hose and grommet too. The hose was probably unnecessary, and the grommet appeared fine - until I took it out and it started to break apart. Replacing the grommet is a good idea, and cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced my pcv valve and bushing today. The engine cover has been gone for as long as I can remember, so there was nothing to remove/take off. The location is kinda hidden, it's on the back side of the engine, on the edge of the intake manifold.

Swapping the pcv valve was easy... except I almost lost the bushing. When I tried inserting the valve into the bushing, the softer rubber bushing got pushed inside the crankcase instead. Oops. Had to find a pair of needle nose pliers to yank it out. So beware of that. You have to gently push the valve in while rotating back and forth. The old bushing was stiff and the new one was pretty soft. Could be hardened rubber on the old or the new one was different (beck arnley part).

Old pcv valve was pretty gunked up. Could be the cause of oil consumption, 3 qts over 6,000 mile OCI. Let's see if things improve.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Replacing my pcv valve was a nightmare that took over an hour. The old one wouldn't budge when trying to pull it out so that lead to prying, which lead to the plastic breaking off and eventually I had to pull it piece by piece with pliers. Some of the plastic pieces fell into the engine compartment below which lead to using gum on a stick to take the little plastic pieces out. Not sure if I got them all out and just praying it doesn't mess something up.

had to individually pick ll the plastic pieces out of the hose too because getting the tube out of the hose was impossible so that had to be broken into a bunch of tiny plastic pieces.

The plastic on this PCV valve was very very poor quality. Wish I knew which brand it was! Buy as high quality of a part as you can or you'll have issues like me.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
lukem5, the plastic pieces shouldn't cause any difficulties. The little valve and hair spring, should they drop into the head and fall into the oil passages leading to the oil pump should not be a problem. The oil pump has a sheet metal screen over its inlet (I've seen this while changing an oil pan on a 2002 EX).

OF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts