Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Peculiar Carfax & Service History

679 16
Been looking at CPO EX-Ls. Mostly 18-19s have been in our price. Hoping to snag a deal on a 20 to get the 10sp (though after extensive reading on here I am no longer super scared of the 9sp). Found a 20 EX-L that has dipped into our range but the carfax and service history through the owners page seem a little off. Service history just shows the CPO service being done. Appears to have been a lease and usually it seems like you see dealer maintenance on those. Is this maybe just a DIY person? BC thinking about it, my personal vehicles would probably look like this since I do all my own oil changes.

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Rectangle Font Technology Electronic device Circle
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'08 EX-L
282 Posts
If I were leasing a vehicle I would not touch it. It should be warranted for the duration of the lease. And routine maintenance like oil change really does not save you anything and if a dealer manages to screw this up it is on them. A dealer (let alone indy shop) is not required to report service to CarFax, so there is that. If you are still worried, I would think if someone never changed oil for close to 3 years that would show somehow. Like sludge at the bottom of the oil pan. Or something. Find a mechanic for pre-purchase inspection and ask them if they can tell if the oil has been changed regularly on the car. My bet that it has been.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
I wouldn't figure someone would get no oil changes for 3 years, but it's possible. Like @mitka said, not all services get recorded on the CarFax. I would:

1. Get a pre-purchase inspection from a competent mechanic
2. Purchase the extended warranty from Honda.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
I wouldn't figure someone would get no oil changes for 3 years, but it's possible. Like @mitka said, not all services get recorded on the CarFax. I would:

1. Get a pre-purchase inspection from a competent mechanic
2. Purchase the extended warranty from Honda.
It is Honda Certified so has a warranty. Not sure if a pre-purchase inspection is needed on a Honda Certified Pre-Owned.

That said, I have said this before. Our Ody only has the service records of warranty work at the dealers. I have worked on our Ody its entire life from Aug 2007 to now. Its history would be BLANK but it has been maintained BETTER than the dealership would have done minus the upselling. Our John Clark has worked on some larger stuff like the timing belt change and the AC compressor/condensor change which I am not brave enough to tackle myself.

What struck odd to me in the history above is, on 7/29 it says it was titled at a Virginia DMV. BUT. Its back to being certified on 8/4 at the selling dealer and available for sale in Edison, NJ. So, what is the DMV record in Virginia DMV for?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would just guess the owner lived too far from the dealer and got it done at a small shop. Honda has never offered routine maintenance when I've bought them (unlike Toyota).

That cpo has a very nice engine warranty so I would not freak out if the ody looks and runs great

·
Registered
575 Posts
It is Honda Certified so has a warranty.
Honda CPO comes with a 12/12 bumper to bumper (along with remainder of powertrain warranty), but you can buy a full Honda Care extension as well at the time of purchase. Since it is under 3/36 you may be able to get Honda Care separately (and cheaper) from Haynnis, but not sure about that...I'd call to check.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
Honda CPO comes with a 12/12 bumper to bumper (along with remainder of powertrain warranty), but you can buy a full Honda Care extension as well at the time of purchase. Since it is under 3/36 you may be able to get Honda Care separately (and cheaper) from Haynnis, but not sure about that...I'd call to check.
I was not going after your warranty point for the most part but your warranty information in the quote is a notch flawed.

Per that link it will have a 7 years*/100,000 miles NOT the remainder of the powertrain. Unless I am reading this wrong.

I always thought a CPO gave you a 100K Powertrain warranty. The CPO bumper to bumper of 12mos/12K is an added bonus as the factory 3/36 is running out in a little over a month on this vehicle.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was not going after your warranty point for the most part but your warranty information in the quote is a notch flawed.

Per that link it will have a 7 years*/100,000 miles NOT the remainder of the powertrain. Unless I am reading this wrong.

I always thought a CPO gave you a 100K Powertrain warranty. The CPO bumper to bumper of 12mos/12K is an added bonus as the factory 3/36 is running out in a little over a month on this vehicle.
Thanks for clarifying. Not trying to pass bad info, but I'm relying too much on faulty memory! Appreciate the link.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Not trying to pass bad info, but I'm relying too much on faulty memory! Appreciate the link.
Same here my friend. Same here. Memory is deceiving at times especially with folks who always had great memory. Age diminishes that once great memory rather quickly. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

My understanding is that if under the 3/36 bumper to bumper it becomes a 4/48 bumper to bumper and then the 7/100 on power train of course

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
My understanding is that if under the 3/36 bumper to bumper it becomes a 4/48 bumper to bumper and then the 7/100 on power train of course
Your understanding is correct. It basically adds 1 year and 12K miles on top of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What struck odd to me in the history above is, on 7/29 it says it was titled at a Virginia DMV. BUT. Its back to being certified on 8/4 at the selling dealer and available for sale in Edison, NJ. So, what is the DMV record in Virginia DMV for?
I have the same question. What was it doing in VA for 6 days?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Where does HFS (or other financial institution) record titles on leased vehicles? Could that be the VA title involvement?

Reactions: highvoltage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly it all appears to be irrelevant as it looks like it sold Saturday or today as it's no longer on the dealer website. I saw it for the first time last night and i think price had just been dropped into my search parameters and someone snagged

Was a 20 EX-L at 36.5k if anyone's watching prices

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is some comfort in shopping for cpo, but if you find a non cpo with under 3yr/36k, you can add hondacare for about $1k. Might open up a few other options for you
That idea had just recently occurred and would get me close to the coverage of a CPO depending on years/mileage I selected. Thanks for confirmation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts