Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
279 Posts
Hello anyone is using this part called pedal commander?
As main advantage:
  • Eliminates Throttle Lag from Your Gas Pedal Making Your Gas Pedal Response More Sensitive
There is no lag from the VCM system, that's a fallacy only promoted by oddyclubbbers. Throttle response controllers are routinely used on many makes, and the owners universally report better throttle results, but it will have to be tested here, with the most favorite guys weighing in, of course. cheapo one, dont know if works: https://www.amazon.com/Throttle-Con...-1-1-5055-173-&vehicleName=2014+Honda+Odyssey

·
Registered
715 Posts
They work,
You will definitely notice a difference in acceleration and response. Especially in the most aggressive setting.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
As main advantage:
  • Eliminates Throttle Lag from Your Gas Pedal Making Your Gas Pedal Response More Sensitive
What exactly is the problem you are looking to address with this? Do you find yourself wishing you could chirp the tires more easily in the grocery store parking lot? Need to do a burnout pulling away from your kid's dayhome? Or is this already happening and you want to turn the sensitivity of your throttle response down?

I have no trouble getting the jump on other drivers when I really want to just by putting my foot into it a bit. And just to pre-empt all the smart-mouths and jacka**es waiting to pounce on me after that last sentence, no I don't try to race anyone in my minivan because (obviously) anyone worth racing can beat me if they want it bad enough. But if I need to change lanes ahead of someone and the other guy doesn't really care whether I do or not, I find I have more than enough throttle response and power to do it. And no, I don't wait for the fuel savers to sort themselves out - I handled that problem expeditiously long ago.

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
Increasing throttle sensitivity promotes wasteful driving with regard to fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Increasing throttle sensitivity promotes wasteful driving with regard to fuel consumption.
The hooligan in me doesn't have a problem with this. 😉

The pragmatist in me says "What's the point? You're driving a minivan."

·
Banned
279 Posts
its called disabling the VCM...
why are auto rightists vs science & engineering? vcm or no vcm , i get 8.5 sec 0-60mph runs, same road back to back bothways averaged. why be a fact denier? why apply fact denying to motorcars? i'd enroll in the neraest college for automotive engineering if i were you? & you were my friend. why be political on an auto site, reminds me of ex-wife

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,109 Posts
Plenty of people do use them on other vehicles, though I don't imagine very often on an Odyssey. It doesn't increase max power in any way, just (mostly) makes lower throttle inputs higher. You can do that yourself with your right foot and avoid having an lighter wallet.

I'm sure it plays little tricks to get better immediate throttle response by over applying throttle input to the ECU then backing off, so I suppose it isn't a complete 0... but... minivan? (throttle plate movements are 'smoothed' out by the ECU to lower emissions, this it where the throttle 'lag' feeling comes from. If you move your foot more quickly on the throttle, this effect is less, so you can do it mostly yourself - but then your passengers will wonder why you are driving like a jackass)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
534 Posts
As main advantage:
I am sure you will be pleased with the performance of this device. The engineers of today are very crafty. You want to see a 2.5 ton FWD multi-drive shaft interference engine with a transmission that can’t tow without an extra cooler give maximum rpms and torque as fast as it can. Since drag racing is not popular anymore, let me give you a look into the future.
You will find you can pass everything but gas stations. Then you will find out the rpm limit of alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump, and tensioner pulley bearings. As you replace each item with a heavy duty replacement when they fail then you will find out which of your axels universal joint are built better. You may also notice the clutch plates in the transmission start to slip. The odyssey is not that aerodynamically designed so wind resistance will load your parts to their limits. This is the world of peak performance and the laws of physics. This performance may be what you want, so happy motoring the odyssey engine is very peppy.

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
To all ... Pedal Commander is geared towards the light turbodiesel truck market (3/4-ton and 1-ton ... and even heavier turbodiesel trucks).

It is not useful for the Odyssey. What's the action we can take on VCM-"equipped" Odysseys to get rid of this lag during that brief transition from less-than-six cylinders back to full V6 capability?

its called disabling the VCM...
If you have a 2008 or newer turbodiesel truck with DEF, SCR and DPF, sequential turbos, etc., then Pedal Commander is a great product to eliminate throttle lag while "the rest of the installed gear catches up."

somebody please run a quasi-scientific test on this thing, i want one!
You don't need to test it. It's a successful product for the turobdiesel truck market.

For those of you who remember rebuilding the occasional 4-barrel carburetor (or even small foreign 2-barrel jobbies), there was that accelerator pump that allowed you to have decent throttle response until you got the smallest amount of rev increase and vacuum to let the carb "get onto the jets." Pedal Commander, from an electronic diesel injection management perspective, is analogous to that.

Personally, I've never minded easing onto the throttle, towing or not, in a turbodiesel truck and letting everthing spool up and then keeping revs reasonable to allow staying in the narrow powerband through gear changes going up an onramp...

...however, I can see where one has to navigate a cityscape all the time, with stop and go traffic, where Pedal Commander would be helpful.

OF

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,109 Posts
Personally, I've never minded easing onto the throttle, towing or not, in a turbodiesel truck and letting everthing spool up and then keeping revs reasonable to allow staying in the narrow powerband through gear changes going up an onramp...
I've heard a saying on at least one turbocharged car (gas engine) forum: If you have turbo lag, you in the wrong gear or the wrong car. ;) (though now with the days of autos on everything, I guess that isn't so true anymore)

-Charlie

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
I've heard a saying on at least one turbocharged car (gas engine) forum: If you have turbo lag, you in the wrong gear or the wrong car. ;)
Hear, hear! 🍻 😁

OF

·
Banned
279 Posts
To all ... Pedal Commander is geared towards the light turbodiesel truck market (3/4-ton and 1-ton ... and even heavier turbodiesel trucks).

It is not useful for the Odyssey. What's the action we can take on VCM-"equipped" Odysseys to get rid of this lag during that brief transition from less-than-six cylinders back to full V6 capability?

If you have a 2008 or newer turbodiesel truck with DEF, SCR and DPF, sequential turbos, etc., then Pedal Commander is a great product to eliminate throttle lag while "the rest of the installed gear catches up."

You don't need to test it. It's a successful product for the turobdiesel truck market.

For those of you who remember rebuilding the occasional 4-barrel carburetor (or even small foreign 2-barrel jobbies), there was that accelerator pump that allowed you to have decent throttle response until you got the smallest amount of rev increase and vacuum to let the carb "get onto the jets." Pedal Commander, from an electronic diesel injection management perspective, is analogous to that.

...however, I can see where one has to navigate a cityscape all the time, with stop and go traffic, where Pedal Commander would be helpful.

OF
With you, dont feel any throttle delay on odyssey. I did feel about a tenth sec on camry . it was blamed on e-throtte when new. It died in traffic last week when a rodent got under timing belt for 2nd time, destroyed engine. Probl wanna use rodent tape and spray under hood from now on!

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
With you, dont feel any throttle delay on odyssey.
I never said I don’t feel throttle delay on VCM-equipped Odysseys. The last 2010 EX-L I drove had that weird stumble when adding power to pass. It was definitely a bit longer to get off its hind legs than any of the three Gen 3 Odysseys we’ve owned (we still have one left).

OF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts