Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to clean my air filter on my 2005 at my 30,000 mile interval but it was spotless on both sides. Would it then be fruitless to change?

Thank You,

Joe

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
cabin air filter? engine air filter? By spotless you mean no big chunks of stuff, or it's still as clean/white as it was when it went in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
air filter

cabin air filter? engine air filter? By spotless you mean no big chunks of stuff, or it's still as clean/white as it was when it went in?

Engine air filter. No chunks of any kind and yes as clean and white as when it went in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Engine air filter. No chunks of any kind and yes as clean and white as when it went in.
I don't think it's physically possible for the air filter to be THAT CLEAN after 30,000 miles unless you drive only in Class 100 clean rooms!!! Have you had any maintenance done recently where they may have changed it for you and you didn't know it???

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I agree - there's just no way it's going to be perfectly clean after 30k miles. (unless the air box has a big hole in it and you aren't moving air through the filter at all, but you'd notice that when you popped the hood)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
air filter

I don't think it's physically possible for the air filter to be THAT CLEAN after 30,000 miles unless you drive only in Class 100 clean rooms!!! Have you had any maintenance done recently where they may have changed it for you and you didn't know it???
No maintenance done. The air in south Florida is pretty clean no manufacturing and very close to the ocean so there's always a breeze - that may have something to do w/it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
No maintenance done. The air in south Florida is pretty clean no manufacturing and very close to the ocean so there's always a breeze - that may have something to do w/it.
I still don't think an engine air filter can be clean as new after 30,000 miles even in South Florida. I live in Seattle and we are by the ocean as well, and we get enough rain that our air is amongst the cleanest in the country (that's our reward for tolerating rain 10 months out of the year). Yet, STILL, after 30,000 miles, I can easily see dirt on the air filter.

I still think something is wrong with this scenario... either the air is not going through that filter, or someone changed it without you knowing, or there is a serious gap or hole somewhere in your air intake.

But to answer your original question, of course if it is clean as new, there is no point in changing it. But I would seriously look over the entire intake system to see if air is really going through that filter. I don't buy that it is if no one changed it recently...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
air filter

I still don't think an engine air filter can be clean as new after 30,000 miles even in South Florida. I live in Seattle and we are by the ocean as well, and we get enough rain that our air is amongst the cleanest in the country (that's our reward for tolerating rain 10 months out of the year). Yet, STILL, after 30,000 miles, I can easily see dirt on the air filter.

I still think something is wrong with this scenario... either the air is not going through that filter, or someone changed it without you knowing, or there is a serious gap or hole somewhere in your air intake.

But to answer your original question, of course if it is clean as new, there is no point in changing it. But I would seriously look over the entire intake system to see if air is really going through that filter. I don't buy that it is if no one changed it recently...
I bought the vehicle w/25k on it. There was no record of it having been changed but I suppose it could have been.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought the vehicle w/25k on it. There was no record of it having been changed but I suppose it could have been.
Ah HA! That's the little missing detail that we needed to know! Air filters are usually changed between 20-30K miles, so it's likely the place you bought it from have the vehicle completely serviced before putting it up for sale, thus you have a new air filter (amongst other things). I CAN BELIEVE an air filter can look clean as new with only 5K miles on it.

So there you go.. that has to be the answer... so if your filter looks new, don't worry about it and go with it till the next air filter maintenance minder notification.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
air filter

Ah HA! That's the little missing detail that we needed to know! Air filters are usually changed between 20-30K miles, so it's likely the place you bought it from have the vehicle completely serviced before putting it up for sale, thus you have a new air filter (amongst other things). I CAN BELIEVE an air filter can look clean as new with only 5K miles on it.

So there you go.. that has to be the answer... so if your filter looks new, don't worry about it and go with it till the next air filter maintenance minder notification.
Yea I bought the car from a dealer I just didn't think that they would have changed the filter any earlier than scheduled. I just changed my cabin filter yesterday - it was dirty.

Today I am going to put some gutter guard on my front grill to protect the AC condenser from rocks. I've seen a lot of posts from people discussing their AC systems going from rocks hitting the condenser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts