Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from someone that just changing the springs and not the shocks will cause damage to the car ? If it is true, how come ?

·
1,484 Posts
It won't cause damage to car itself. But it will put more stress on the OEM shocks. The OEM shocks and OEM springs are made to work together to absorb all those bumps in the road. Now if you use the OEM shocks with lower, stiffer springs – they won’t work as well together because of the lower spring rate. The stocks shocks will not last as long because of the added stress it’s under. The best thing to do is either get aftermarket adjustable struts n’ shocks or coilovers. That way you could fine-tune them to match the new lower spring rate. Hope this helps.

-nemogira

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is I cannot find any coilovers and shocks for our odyssey except for springs ! Any ideas ?

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
The problem is I cannot find any coilovers and shocks for our odyssey except for springs ! Any ideas ?</font>
No one can. At least not yet. Actually, I know Tein make some adjustable coilovers. Problem is it cost like $2000!
Just be patient. I'm sure someone will eventually come out with some for the Ody. Especially H&R - since they make the only available lowering springs. Maybe we should form a request group or something so they could make some shocks. What do you think?

-nemogira

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in man ! I asked a guy and he said H&R springs won't cause much trouble with the stock shocks considering that H&R doesnt even recommend cutting bumpstop like most do.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
I am in man ! I asked a guy and he said H&R springs won't cause much trouble with the stock shocks considering that H&R doesnt even recommend cutting bumpstop like most do.</font>
What kind of car does he have? I think anything lower than 2" will give you something to worry about. I'll ask some manufacturers what we could do to get production started on some Odyssey shocks. I'll keep you posted.

-nemogira

·
1,484 Posts
Small update on 2 aftermarket shocks companies

KYB: Next year will add 2000-2001 Odyssey GR2 shocks. No adjustable AGX are planned.

Koni: No current plans for the Odyssey. But once it IS in demand expect to wait several months to a year before they are released to the consumers. (Because of testing and development)

- nemogira

·
Registered
261 Posts
why ONLY 2000 and 2001 models?

what happened to 1999? why is it so hard to ask makers to design one for the 1999 models? why?

why? why not?

------------------
1999 Honda Odyssey
Granite Green

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know anything about the 1999 models.

But anyways, THAT'S GREAT ! At least I know I can get an aftermarket shocks for my ody after the stock shock is blown if I keep my plan and install the H&R springs. YEAH !!

BTW, did KYB specify when the shocks will be out ? Did they say about what month next year ?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am new to this, but what is a camber kit ?
DO our oddy need one when lowering it ?

Also, will lowering the van affect the speedometer readings ?

·
1,484 Posts
"why ONLY 2000 and 2001 models?"

I really don't know. Maybe because it was the opening model and Honda was still making last minute changes. They probably set the standard by 2000. But there's still hope though...things could still fit.

"did KYB specify when the shocks will be out ? Did they say about what month next year ?"

No, but I could ask. Keep you posted.

"what is a camber kit?"
I believe it's a part in the supension that keeps the tires n'wheels from tilting inward. The more aggressive you lower you car the more the wheels n' tires will tilt. Like this. Stop looking at the girl and look at the wheels. See?

DO our oddy need one when lowering it?
No one knows the effect(s) of the H&R springs because no one has got them yet. But as soon as I get mine (hopefully soon) I'll give you all a full report on how it goes. General Note: If your tires dramaticallly start going bald more on one side than another...then you KNOW you need a camber kit. That's if you can find one.

-nemogira

·
Registered
2014 Acura RDX
75 Posts
What wheels?

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
C : the power of assembler, with the flexibility of assembler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Often times, when lowering a vehicle, the wheels, when viewed from the front or back, tilt inward. This "tweaked" look often results in excessive wear on the insides of your tires. In many cases, this can be fixed with an alignment, and you won't need to purchase additional equipment. In others, the stock geometry won't allow a sufficient level of adjustment to correct the problem, and in that case, a camber kit is required. These are simply replacement parts that allow much finer tuning to get the car within factory specs.

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1997 GS-R 4-door
1995 NSX-T

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh....so we won't know until we got the springs.

Then will lowering the car affect the speedometer readings ?

Also, will changing the springs void the waranty ? Will they say I have changed some compoents of the car and so they will no longer cover it under warranty ?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I have nothing to add. I just thought we really needed to revisit this photo.

Carry on ...

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like I said, lowering a vehicle DOES NOT affect speedometer.

As for warranty, well, obviously the manufacturer (HONDA) won't warranty the newer springs, but they can always take the attitude that if your new springs caused another factory component to fail, it's your problem. Examples of this would be a Cold-Air Intake setup ingesting water and causing hydrolock. I can't see in a situation like that having the car manufacturer repairing engine damage under warranty.

Now, concerning spring installation, most eventual wear results in the shocks needing to be replaced, and those aren't usually convered under the manufacturer warranty anyways.

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1997 GS-R 4-door
1995 NSX-T

·
1,484 Posts
Based on your car listing and your well informed knowledge of suspensions...I was wondering if your could answer a question I've been wondering about for a while now:

What prevents us, Odyssey Owners, from using adjustable shocks from let's say an Acccord or a Passport. Since they're adjustable - can't we just fine tune them to the Ody?

-nemogira

·
Registered
148 Posts
What prevents us, Odyssey Owners, from using adjustable shocks from let's say an Acccord or a Passport. Since they're adjustable - can't we just fine tune them to the Ody?

I'm just guessing here, but isn't there a significant weight difference between the two? Even though the springs carry the weight, the shocks do have to control it. Maybe I'm wrong, after all I don't even know how to disconnect a speedometer cable

Goodnight Nemogira

1 - 20 of 25 Posts