Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Performance or Peril from Lowering?

10K views 61 replies 9 participants last post by  Lorax 
#1 ·
I thought that I saw H&R had sport springs available for the '99 up Odyssey, but they seem to have disappeared from the tirerack site.

Assuming they are available (or something comparable), I'm looking for opinions on lowering this kind of vehicle.

It should improve lower the CG and therefore improve the handling/stability. Of course you have to be more mindful of bottoming out. I understand there are consequences in tire wear etc. as well.

What do you think?

#2 ·
Lorax,
I just got a 2001 LX this week. Now, being a rodder for years and years I'm looking at this ody in my driveway and imagining how sweet it would look with a two inch front and three inch rear drop! How about taking those steelies out to sevens in front and eights in back with stock caps? Opp's, wife says hell no!!! Good luck if you do please let us see how it turns out.

#3 ·
I think you guys are gonna fit in juuuuust fine.

I'm looking into an air bag setup for the rear since I want to pull a trailer from time to time. I'd love to be able to haul my car to the strip with the Ody.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

#5 ·
How about finding a local importer who can get stuffs from Japan. Seems like they have all kinds of accessories for Odyssey over there.

Check out the Odyssey on this page (it's in Japanese, but like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words): http://www.azect.co.jp/Lineup/aero/lagreat/lag01.HTM

Update: H&R Springs does make Sport Springs for Odyssey 1999-up, part #51810, 1.5" front and 1.4" back lowering. I checked with King Motorsports in Milwaukee, WI and was told that it won't be available until mid April.

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 03-08-2001).]

#6 ·
Yeah, I recently ordered the H&R springs from King Motorsports. They said its gonna take at least 5-6 weeks for delivery. The cost was about $230. That's not bad considering the company H&R sells'em for $350.

Ryan, I know exactly what you mean. I constantly look at my Ody thinkin' how good it would look lowered.

And Jim, I HAVE the air bag setup on my Ody. All I can do now is hope they can get along with the new springies!

But yeah, once they're installed I'll let you all know how it turns out.

#7 ·
Hmmmm... Lowering springs can certainly help CG and handling but if they allow the suspension to touch the bump stops under cornering, there is no suspension at that point any longer and the vehicle will handle very bad (I repeat: very bad).

Hopefully, the springs available are engineered well enough to prevent this.

------------------
Jim

#8 ·
hgani,

That is just the kind of thing that I am looking for! Have you seen any other kits?

I'll have to look into contacting some of my relatives in Japan.

There is also a bodykit for the miata (RE Amemiya) I would really like to get. They make a knockoff locally but I don't want fiberglass. I've seen it on a showcar - looks great, except for the wing.

#10 ·
Lorax, Nemogira is correct, only Wings West has body kits locally.

Nemogira, did you really order the H&R Springs from King Motorsports for $230? I did order from them and was told it costs $250, but then they called back and told me it won't be available for about 4 weeks, so I told them to cancel it. I then contacted Doug at www.tirerack.com and was told that it won't be available for 8+ weeks and their price is $243

Triplecut, most lowering springs are progressive rate springs, meaning that they get stiffer as the load increases. Honda shocks are rather stiff, so I don't think the springs will get so compressed that the bump stopper will ever hit the shock body. Besides, you can always shorten the bump stopper.

H&R Springs lists the 51810 for Odyssey 2000-up, I checked around and found that Honda may have used different springs for 2000-up Odyssey. Part #'s for spring, bump stopper and the upper seat are different for 2000 than 1999 model.
I have a '99 Odyssey EX, but I am going to go ahead and install the springs as soon as they are available.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks for the leads on kits, nemogira and hgani.

I hope some of them are Urethane. I won't put it on if it is fiberglass - in my opinion, its too fragile and cheap.

I want something that's eyecatching but blends in with the original styling - less is more.

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-09-2001).]

#13 ·
hgani,

They did tell me $230. Originaly their website said it cost $185. Thats pretty good price compared to some other places I've seen. So I quickly ordered it. But then they called back and said it was mistake. Maybe they knocked down the price because of the mistake. Most sites sell them for about $250. So I guess that's about right.

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 03-09-2001).]

#17 ·
Doesn't work...oh well. As for the white face gauges. Try maybe Ebay or WWW.PROCARPARTS.COM

They don't have gauges for Odysseys but they do have for 98-01 accords (4cyl). From what I hear "most" of the 4 cyl accord gauges fit on Odyssey. All but ONE, the speedometer. So if you willing to have just the two outer gauges white - go for it! As for me I'll wait till I can get all three.

#21 ·
I checked with Wings West directly. They charge the highest prices (if they didn't, it would be hard to get distributors).

The best price I found online (but I didn't try too hard) was at http://www.autoaccessory.com/. I was going to purchase when I noticed that they had a 'Priority Code' block. I decided to search around a little to see if I could find a code. I came up with the following:

Save 15% off code: A7P
Save 10% off code: Q3M
Save $10 on $75 code: C5F
Save $20 on $120 code: X1U

I used the 15% off code and it gave me the $550 price. I called a guy at AZC (a local shop I've purchased wheels from before) and asked if he could match. He said yes so I ordered from him.

The kit comes in this week.

Getting back to the original topic, I thought I saw a few of the Japanese aftermarket companies had coilovers for the Odyssey, but I can't remember where. I will definitely wait to get those instead of just springs. I want to be able to adjust the height - I'm worring about dropping it too much with just springs, especially after I put on the bodykit.

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-18-2001).]

#23 ·
I checked Tein's website. They seem to have a huge range of suspension products for the Odyssey. I couldn't determine what the differences were between many of them or to which Odyssey model they applied.

The good news is that the dollar is so strong that the prices are looking better (assuming I can have a Japanese relative buy it and ship it). 120,000 Yen for one kit is approximately $980.

#24 ·
Tein Suspension (English) Application Guide: http://www.tein.co.jp/htech2e.html

The numerous Odys you see listed are for the Japanese Odyssey. In Japan our van is considered the "Lagreat". It's listed as 'Scheduled to Release'. I emailed them and they said it would cost over $2000! Too much for my blood.

I plan to wait until they come out with some adjustable shocks n' struts here in the US.

The reason:

1) It costs alot to import parts from Japan
2) Coil-over Shocks cost alot and
3) Those coil-over springs will eventually weaken and guess what...it's gonna COST a lot to replace'em.

- nemogira

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 03-21-2001).]

#25 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
1) It costs alot to import parts from Japan
2) Coil-over Shocks cost alot and
3) Those coil-over springs will eventually weaken and guess what...it's gonna COST a lot to replace'em.
</font>
1) Yep. Luckily there are companies here in the States that do great work.
2) Yes, but some setups cost the same as a set of performance dampers and lowering springs.
3) If we had some made they'd be rebuildable.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.