Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you had the same experience as me. I picked up my new Odyssey today and have made 3 short trips around town. After I parked the car each time, and walk nearby the front, I smell something that resembles burning oil.

Is this normal for new cars? Perhaps some kind of coating in the engine parts that needs to burn off? Anyone have the same smell? How soon did it go away?

Thanks. Other than the smell, the car is awesome!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm sure it is just new car buring smells. Don't wory about it...you bought a honda...you have bgger problems in your future:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it is just new car buring smells. Don't wory about it...you bought a honda...you have bgger problems in your future:)
Thanks. I'm going to just ignore it for the next 1-2 weeks. Hopefully it will go away. Bigger problems?! :) This is my third Honda, let's hope no major problems come up!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
This is actually my 3rd as well. Each got worse...........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi!

I don't know much about mechanics, but I think you should hear what happened to us yesterday when we went to pick up our new EXL. As we were driving to the dealer, he called to say that they'd just got the van off the transport truck and after driving it, found there was a leak in a seal. It was going to take them several days to get the parts, take out the transmission, and fix the leak. We decided we didn't want to risk it, so we opted for another van. When I asked the dealer how we know this van doesn't have the same problem that just hasn't shown up yet, he said that we'd smell burning oil if it did!

I'm sure hoping this isn't the situation with yours, but it does sound suspicious. Wonder what's going on that this is happening?

Hope you get it all worked out fine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi!

I don't know much about mechanics, but I think you should hear what happened to us yesterday when we went to pick up our new EXL. As we were driving to the dealer, he called to say that they'd just got the van off the transport truck and after driving it, found there was a leak in a seal. It was going to take them several days to get the parts, take out the transmission, and fix the leak. We decided we didn't want to risk it, so we opted for another van. When I asked the dealer how we know this van doesn't have the same problem that just hasn't shown up yet, he said that we'd smell burning oil if it did!

I'm sure hoping this isn't the situation with yours, but it does sound suspicious. Wonder what's going on that this is happening?

Hope you get it all worked out fine!
Woah, that's not what I want to hear :( Hopefully, my case is different. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why did you buy a third one instead of trying another brand?
Only one van listed in his sig but 6000 plus posts on a Honda forum and not a single one with anything constructive or useful to add.

If it is actually true and the experience did get worse with each one then there is no explanation needed. You can lead a [email protected]@ss to water but you can't make him drink.

JD

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Why did you buy a third one instead of trying another brand?

Well, at the time it was rated as the best van on the market, so that is what he bought. Those ratings changed.......Soon after honda sweeping the tranny issues under the carpet came to light. Those red dots turned to black dots with consumer reports

1 - 10 of 10 Posts