Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I inpsected and test drove it today and everything looks great. I put down a security deposit and will pickup the van tomorrow morning.

Is there anything else I need to double check or inspect?

I did check the power windows and doors and it all worked flawlessly.

Only problem was there is two remotes and 1 key? What's the cost to replace another key?

TIA

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
We couldn't let you pick it up before we asked you to search on the issues with the transmission on the 2002-2004 Odysseys. It is a recall for overheating of a gear for the 5-speed transmissions for all 2002s, 2003s and some 2004s. Read up on it and ask lots of ?s on the history of the transmission. Make sure to operate all the electrical features before leaving the dealer. This is just a starting point...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Get your Money Back ASAP! It is a pile of crap!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought transmission was resolved in 04s? Plus I checked the recall and the VIN was not included.

Owner never had a transmission problem or so he said.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I thought transmission was resolved in 04s? Plus I checked the recall and the VIN was not included.

Owner never had a transmission problem or so he said.
No it was not solved in 04...that is when it came out. All Honda did was apply a band aid to the tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WW, thanks for info. Do you know if the band aid solve the problem? Or are owner who don't fall into the recall still having problems?

thanks

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I do not know, all they added was an Oil kit to lubricate the part that was failing. Mine has not failed, but the killer was highway driving and we do all in town. I know some have failed....the rate I do not know. I know I would not have bought the van had I known Honda had a recall comming that they swept under the carpet for years and years

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
We don't want to make you feel paranoid because the chances are in your favour that you will not have a transmission problem. Just want you to be informed of the potential.

Oh and one other thing you should know is that wild willy has made it his quest in life to NOT promote the Honda name - as if you did not already figure this out yet. ;) He is a friendly nasty sort of guy. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NDNV,

thanks for the balance view. I think I might go with it. Getting under KBB.

I know timing belt will need to be replace but I think everything else checks out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
NDNV,

thanks for the balance view. I think I might go with it. Getting under KBB.

I know timing belt will need to be replace but I think everything else checks out.
Welcome, and there is plenty to read about here which will help you to properly maintain your rig.

These are great driving vans that are incredibly functional, my sister has a '99, I have an '01, and my brother has an '04, and my neighbor had an '01; the '99 is on its 2nd transmission which is now showing signs of dying, neighbor's '01 was on its second tranny when he sold it, my '01 is on its 3rd tranny now, and my brother's '04 is still on the original but it has less than 50K miles on it yet.

Your van has the 5-speed auto which they started using in 2002 (through 2004), which still has a higher-than-average failure rate. You can read transmission threads here for the next month if you really want to, but among them is some very good information to be had which will be helpful to you.

Honda's big mistake was to use an undersized automatic transmission in a full-sized vehicle that weighs over two tons when empty. When I bought my '01 used, I specifically bought one that had just had the transmission replaced, so fingers-crossed, I will not have to deal with that issue for a few more years. Your mileage may vary (YMMV)!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spoke with a couple of friends who were 2nd Gen owners and all are very happy with their odyssey and has not had any problems. I'll post pics of my ODY later tomorrow. Wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im officially part of the Ody club now.

Please feel free to recommend any crucial threads.

How should I go about replacing a key?

saw the uncut honda keys for $12 on ebay. Read I need to get it cut and then programmed by Honda ($50)?

Is there a DIY at home method?

TIA

·
Registered
6,861 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
We're driving a 2002 Ody with 175k miles. Relatively few problems.
My understanding the most significant transmission problems with the 2nd gen Ody started with the 2002 year with the switch to the 5 speed automatic. Seems the internal fixes to the transmission improved the reliability such that the 2004 year is probably the most reliable Ody. And more reliable than the 3rd generation which started with the 2005 model year.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Forgot to mention..I have 46,ooo miles

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's my 04 Ody. Just spent all yesterday cleaning the interior. Might wash it later today if i'm not too lazy.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Willy, what a nasty thing to say about yourself! :DD This is a surprise, since I've never known you to have self-esteem problems....

...BTW, nice van...both of them. Taffeta White is my favorite, but my second is that Silver Metallic you guys are sportin' on the Odys.
:joy:

OF

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
That was when it was new...Not lookin quite so good these days

·
Registered
60 Posts
haha I feel your pain Wild Willy!!!

The thing about one's relationship with a vehicle has a lot to do with how much trust you put into its rugged reliability.
You push a car into a ditch and it comes out of it unscathed, then you trust it more and more.
With Odys, you drive them on flat windless ground at 60mph and the tranny code flashes and you pretty much never trust them again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts