Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times this website can discourage people from owning an ODY. Discussion about "howling wind," "low fuel mileage," and other tidbits really paints the wrong picture. No car is perfect. Pickiness obscures one point: We all love our ODYSSEY more than anything.

I researched every mini-van availabe until I was blue in the face, and I was in a number of the new ones, and the only one that was worth its salt besides the ODY was the Sienna but, it was so small, inconvenient in design, outmoded and expensive that it made the ODY look like a steal!

TO THOSE WHO ARE CONSIDERING BUYING AN ODYSSEY: You will love it..

KeithB

'02 EX-L ODY Granite Green (Grey)

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KeithB:
No car is perfect. </font>
Hi Keith -

While I understand your concern, I think the quote above is really the main point. The danger of NOT discussing the problems is that people may have too rosey a picture of the van and expect perfection - only to be dissatisfied when the delusion comes crashing down.

And really, the problems and concerns are typically listed in a forum called, of all things, "problems and concerns." If that forum were blank, it would be a disservice for two reasons:
1. Potential buyers would incorrectly think there were no problems and concerns
2. The owners with problems and concerns would have nowhere to discuss them and to get help.

In my book, ALL information (both pro and con) is good information. To make an informed buying decision, there is nothing better than ballanced information.

I'm glad you love your van, and I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way - even the ones posting about their problems.

Drive happy.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think this is an excellent forum for Odyssey Owner's to express not only the great benefits of the Odyssey, but also the concerns and complaints that arise. I have found that we have here some excellent troubleshooters that truly help, and I find that a great service -- a good neighborhood with helpful neighbors , so to speak. But the only way we would get the advice we need is if we express our questions and sometimes complaints.

The Odyssey sells itself ... even with our expressions of imperfection.

·
Registered
596 Posts
A site such as this can be of great benefit to prospective buyers. If I had read a lot of this stuff, I would have actually been "there" during my test drive, even though it was short. I have yet to get much out of a test drive, since all is so new and seems to feel great. I doubt that there are many on this board or any other who have not seen a lot of the "newness" wear off after the first few thousand miles. By that time, one is over the euphoria of the "new car experience" and is turning a much more critical eye on the vehicle. That, at least, is my experience. This forum and others could serve as "Chicken Soup for Prostective Buyers" and will before I make my next automotive move. I like my Odyssey, but, not as well as I did in the first 5K miles. I guess the old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt", contains a lot of truth. One of the greatest examples of this is our own Chuck, who seems to like the vehicle and, at the same time, is quite peed at the details. I guess that was four cents worth, but, there it is.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000434.html

Ironically, I like my Ody more now than when I first got it. I love the way it feels and handles compared to any van I've driven. Yes I like it better than anything else available and I think I'd buy another one if I needed another van.

On the other hand, I like Honda a lot less and have lost a lot of respect for them as a manufacturer, something that's important to me when making a buying decision, so I will look a little harder comes the next time to buy.

Unfortunately, though, as you can see at the above thread, I'm not the only one bothered by sloppy manufacturing, and sorry, but my contempt has nothing to do with familiarity.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, Chuck, but you have "changed" your van. I'm talking about vehicles which are basically the way they came and perceptions gleaned over the first few months of ownership. Had you not made all the "mods" you have, would you say that the expectations formed in your test drive would have been realized? What I'm saying is that it is tough to really notice how things are when driving a new vehicle for a few miles/minutes and are overwhelmed by all the "newness". Bringing it up to a higher standard causes all bets to be called off. You have been saying that the vehicle should be delivered in somewhat the shape you now have it in, and I am saying that it is very hard to assess the vehicle before purchase to see how refined it really is. Call me crazy, but, I'm a very picky car guy and I still remain fairly clueless during a brief test drive.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Yes, Chuck, but you have "changed" your van. I'm talking about vehicles which are basically the way they came and perceptions gleaned over the first few months of ownership. Had you not made all the "mods" you have, would you say that the expectations formed in your test drive would have been realized? What I'm saying is that it is tough to really notice how things are when driving a new vehicle for a few miles/minutes and are overwhelmed by all the "newness". Bringing it up to a higher standard causes all bets to be called off. You have been saying that the vehicle should be delivered in somewhat the shape you now have it in, and I am saying that it is very hard to assess the vehicle before purchase to see how refined it really is. Call me crazy, but, I'm a very picky car guy and I still remain fairly clueless during a brief test drive.

Jerry O.

</font>
Heh, heh, yes and no. How's that for an answer, Jerry?

I'm not sure I can completely answer because, for me at least, there are a number of different parts to the answer.

Of course, none of us can ever know all of the idiosyncrasies of a vehicle before we've owned it for a while, but I can't say I've ever been really surprised about how a car rode or handled or otherwise behaved after I bought it. If it's ever happened, I don't remember it. I HAVE been surprised when a couple turned out to be junk after a while, but that's not something the test drive reveals.

Some of it is the fact that I'll usually have driven the model I'm interested in two or three times at least. I was very lucky to have test driven two different Odys for a total of about an hour so I didn't feel I had any unpleasant surprises when I finally got to drive my own. Our crappy roads around here reveal a lot about a vehicle's solidity. In fact mine felt more solid than the ones I'd driven when I drove it home.

I also can't say I bought mine thinking everything was gonna be tight and rattle free forever. I knew after my first test drive that Honda put emphasis in places where Toyota didn't and vice versa and decided that I'd be willing to make the tradeoffs. I knew, to at least some degree anyway, that I'd have to do a little soundproofing, etc. and I was prepared and even looking forward to it.

I had driven a new Corolla and Civic and I also drove and rode in a number of Siennas, so I pretty much understood the different philosophies and was more or less prepared.

I think what I wasn't prepared for was the extent of the cavalier attitude of Honda and their slow response in fixing problems. That was something I DIDN'T expect, especially from a Japanese company so closely in competition with Toyota. I had more or less accepted the rattles, etc., as things I was prepared to deal with, but my real disappointment started showing up when the problems that people with 99s had complained about started showing up on mine, like cracked spoilers and squeaky window motors. One strong feeling I had when I ordered mine was the '01 was old enough to have the bugs ironed out. This is the major place I placed confidence in Honda because of their rep and it's probably the biggie when it comes to my disappointment with them.

I also have to admit that my disappointment is greater because of how great I think the Ody is compared to other vans, and I've driven a lot of them. None of them measures up to what I like out of a vehicle like the Ody does.

This doesn't mean I expect Honda to make it flawless. That won't happen at ten times the price. It's just that I hate to see them design such a great van in the ways I appreciate and then get so careless about the last little bits that would make it a flat out, hands down world beater. The bottom line is that I'm disappointed because I like it so much. Does that make sense?

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hope Honda reads this website and addresses these issues in the next generation of Odys. I'm hoping that they have finally settled on an appropriate drive train configuration and can divert their energies to the overall quality issues that have been brought up by the membership here.
It's actually by voicing these "picky" issues that they get addressed in the future.

With more Ody capacity added and the looming recession, Honda might actually have to compete.
As I've stated before, the next Sienna will probably be the benchmark that Honda will be compared to. Honda will have to respond or lose market share.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
I hope Honda reads this website and addresses these issues in the next generation of Odys. I'm hoping that they have finally settled on an appropriate drive train configuration and can divert their energies to the overall quality issues that have been brought up by the membership here.
It's actually by voicing these "picky" issues that they get addressed in the future.

With more Ody capacity added and the looming recession, Honda might actually have to compete.
As I've stated before, the next Sienna will probably be the benchmark that Honda will be compared to. Honda will have to respond or lose market share.
</font>
Yup. I agree completely.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, it makes a lotta sense, Chuck. The thing I keep telling myself is that we are talking about AMERICAN Honda, which seems to be a different animal than the JAPANESE company that created the super reputation. The other thing I see in this is that most of that great reputation was created by a few generations of much less complicated vehicles (e.g. mostly manual shift, more basic cars) and, now that they are in the "big leagues", so to speak, with all the bells and whistles, things seem to have changed. All that said, you're right, simple stuff like body integrity and NVH should be pretty much a no brainer, by now. Go figure!!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts