Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my water pump and timing belt today, or at least attempted. I marked the belts and pulleys, transferred the marks to the new belt. Put everything together, rotated the crank by hand for about 8-10 revolutions, without resistance. Then attempted to start it. First try failed because like an idiot I left the crank pulley removal tool (55mm) on. Once I pulled that and tried starting again it fired up but there seemed to be a pinging and then knocking as I accelerated.

So several questions. Would leaving the crank removal tool on and trying to start for a half second cause the belt to slip a notch or two? If so, would that cause pinging/knocking? Or is the pinging because I took the negative terminal off and it takes a bit of time for the ECU to "remap"? Really hoping for this latter case, but don't really want to drive the van until I know how much damage I'm going to do to it.

Another question. When taking the mount off the engine (the one attached to the engine itself, not the part attached to the chassis) the top front bolt broke off. About half the threads are left, but it won't grab, so I think the bold was half way out when it broke, but nothing is sticking out of the bolt hole. So there are really only two of the 3 bolts holding it to the engine. I have no idea how to get it out other than taking it to a mechanic and not even sure if they can do anything and I'm sure it won't be cheap. The car has 170,000 miles and if at all possible I'd rather not have to deal with fixing the mount. This is probably a stupid question, but how critical is that third bolt?

So after all this, I'm wishing I'd just left the timing belt alone and took my chances. It looked pretty good when I pulled it out. Its been a long day...

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting to tear it apart again. Got the power steering and serpentine belt off, and rotated the crank pulley until the mark on the pulley lined up with the arrow on the timing belt cover. Check the cam pullies through via the little ports in the timing belt cover and they all appear to be TDC. Not sure if that means anything. I'll take the timing belt covers off tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd give an update. Took the timing belt covers off again today. All of the marks on the cam and crank pulley's lined up TDC through multiple rotations, so whatever the pinging was, was not related to the belt. I did a double check on the spark plug wires, but they all seemed ok. Once everything was put back together, started it up and it ran ok. Drove it around, no unusual sounds. So not totally sure what the issue was yesterday. Maybe one of the plug wires was not fully in place. Anyway, I've got a 180 mile drive tomorrow so we'll see if everything holds together.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ayy, Don't worry, sometimes weird thing happen, and sometimes its just in our heads. Especially after such a big job like that.
I'm gonna be doing my 99 Timing belt next month probably. Is there any advice for getting in there?
By the way, didn't the crank pulley bolt come loose while the remover was still in there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No special tips other than being patient. Some of the 10mm bolts on the TB cover are a bit difficult to get to or see so it involved a lot of "by feel".
The crank pulley bolt did not come loose when I started the engine because the removal tool is only there to hold the pulley, it does not touch the actual bolt. The removal tool goes around the bolt and you need the 19mm socket to take it off. So the removal tool prevented the crank from turning.
In a related note, I could not remove the crank bolt at first. Used a long breaker bar plus a 30" piece of pipe. No go. Eventually tried the "starter" trick. Braced a shorter breaker bar against the frame with the 19mm socket on the bolt and turned the engine over for about a half second. Worked fine. I did have all my plugs out so there was no danger in the engine actually starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts