Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: 2001 Odyssey LX Speaker Install

I know this thread has been beaten to death already, but I wanted to sorta document my install in case it could help someone else out there.

Based on recommendations from odyclub, I decided to install the Pioneer 1665 speakers in the doors and 1045 (yes, there's an alternative to the 1086's!) in the rear side panels. The 1045's seem to be an upgraded 4" model in Pioneer's line, as they have the same look as the 1665's.

I was a bit hesitant about hacking the door panels on my "new" car, but you can't see the carnage once the speaker is installed.

I purchased the harnesses at Best Buy (Metra 72-7800). These made the install a snap!

I used some electrical tape to "bunch up" the wires from the Metra harness close to the speaker and don't have any noise from the windows touching the harness when going up and down.

Now I can see why the baffles are recommended for the rear speakers. There are several spaces around where the speakers mount which would let the back wave and the front wave from the speaker cancel out what little bass comes from the 4 inchers.

The bass from the front speakers is not as boomy as it used to be (which makes it sound like there's less), but sounds much smoother.
The rear speakers are brighter (they now have tweeters) but the bass is non-existent. I think the baffles would help in this regard. When I find some, I'll remember to post my before/after comments.

Anyone know where I can find some baffles aside from Crutchfield?? Chain stores?
I'm in the South Florida area.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oops! When you get to that site, click the Tech Summary section, and then look for Honda subsection, there is an installation of speakers illustration on 2000 Odyssey and a picture of the baffle is shown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts