Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Received my Pioneer 1665's yesterday, purchased them on e-bay for $52 + $9.95 shipping (Local Best Buy wanted $98.00 + 7% state tax). Installation took about 20-25 minutes. What a difference for $62...

Rock'd to Boston's 'More than a Feeling' on the way to work today... I haven't felt that song vibrating the windows for 10 years. Thanks to all who posted installation Pictures and instructions.

Now I've got something else to add to my tag line.

'01 GG LX
CD Player
Mud Flaps
Cargo Tray
Pioneer 1665's

·
Registered
239 Posts
Most of the others installed 1695. What is the differnece between 1695 and 1665 ?
Do you have to cut the rainshield like others?
What about the price and performace, any difference?
Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
Most of the others installed 1695. What is the differnece between 1695 and 1665 ? ... What about the...performace, any difference?
Thanks.
</font>
I really need to decide the difference in performance between these 2 babies. Does anyone has any experience or heard them both.

now, I know the 1695 is a 2-way while the 1665 is a 3-way......if I went with 1695, I would miss the mid-range BUT if I went with 1665, I might miss the bass.

Please help.

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Abyez hit upon the design features, but keep in mind that your subjective judgement of the sound is far more important tha whether in is 2-way, 3-way, has a horn, etc....

My assessment, real quick:

Price difference: ~$25-$30

Bass response: they are pretty darn close. I don't think most would notice any difference, if any.

Imaging, clarity, overall SQ, this is subjective. I'd recommend the 1665 for people who prefer a brighter sound. Most consumer products are getting to sound more like the 1665, exagerating certain highs to get that "crisp" sound. I'd say people who listen more to pop, rock, etc... will like this speaker. Also, if you are tight on budget....

The 1695 may only be 2-way, but this is a pretty darn good speaker for the price IMHO. I believe it represents a significant jump in clarity and accuracy over the 1665, though again, this is subjective. It is not as "crisp" as the 1665, and that's why I rate it higher. It has a more natural sound to me and is better overall for a variety of music. I listened to classical on the 1665, and just thought, ughh... WAY too bright, not the way stringed instruments should sound. The 1695 was much smoother. Horns are known to some to be harsh, but his one really isn't. And since you can rotate the horn, you can control the dispersion pattern of the highs/mids, thereby allowing you to adjust to your tastes without touching the tone controls on your radio.

My advice for those deciding b/w these two: go to a car audio/electronics place and listen to the 1665 if you are undecided. If you love the sound, buy them. The sharpness is something people either love or hate. If it's too bright, get the 1695. (1695 is not easily found in most retail stores)

Of course there are many other brands out there that are excellent too. Pioneer just happens to fit well in Hondas, and represents a good value for factory upgrades. Feel free to go out and shop around. In fact I really encourage it!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lotus18,

Yes, I still had to cut the rain shield... Not a problem at all, it took longer to put a new blade in my knife that it took to cut the rain shield itself.

I picked the 1665's over the 1695's based on the price difference. I went to the local best buy and listened to both the 1665's and the 1695's. Not much difference between sound as far as my ear could tell.

I was looking for a low dollar improvement in the Odyssey's sound system, and not trying to replicate the acoustics of Carnegie Hall. To sum it up "I was looking for the best Bang for my buck"

Rakmann

'01 GG LX
Cargo Tray
Mud Flaps
Pioneer 1665's

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rakmann, did you actually find the 1695's at a BestBuy? Mine here in the Kansas City area doesn't carry them, or at least the Overland Park store doesn't. Would have listened to both if they had. But, no matter, the 1695's should be delivered today and I can't wait to get them in, as well as those 1086's in the rear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
did you actually find the 1695's at a BestBuy? </font>
Yes, my local BestBuy also carries them both. I took my favorite CD's with me to a local BestBuy to compare 1695 and 1665 before deciding to go with 1695... And, of course, I didn't buy them from BestBuy

Sid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MerpsMom.. The BB in Robinsion Township, PA had both models available.

I did purchase the Speaker Wiring adapter from Best Buy ($4.95). I figured that was the least I could do for letting me evaluate the speakers.

'01 GG LX
CD Player
Mud Flaps
Cargo Tray
Pioneer 1665's

·
Registered
58 Posts
"What is the differnece between 1695 and 1665?"

Physically the 1695 is a two way with a horn tweeter and the 1665 is a three way with (going from memory) a ~1" poly cone tweeter and a tiny (.25"?) poly dome tweeter. The 95 is about $30 more than the 65. Appart from this they both look and are dimensionally very similar.

"Do you have to cut the rainshield like others?"

The 1665 does require the rainshield to be removed. The 65 and 95 are the same mounting depth as I recall.

"What about the price and performace, any difference?"

I ordered some 65s without auditioning them based on some positive postings about them here combined with intution, intentionally picking them over the more expensive 95's. Executive summary: (1) This is the first and last time I'm buying speakers without listening to them first no matter what anyone tells me. (2) The 65s are cheap speakers that sound cheap. Crutchfield's asking price is rediculous for what you get, but fortunately most places heavilly discount them into line (about $50).

The only way to get a speaker you know you will be happy with is to go to a store and spend several days auditioning speakers. You can ask for opinions on sound quality and read all the specs, reviews, and recomendations you want but those are just opinions. In the end the only opinion that matters is your ear's. If the reviews are good but your ears say they sound terrible then you listened to the wrong opinions.

That said, here is my take on the 1665's -- I stand in defiance to others and say they are not a very meaningful upgrade. They are extremely bright to the point they are painful to listen to without turning the treble almost all the way down. Apart from this, they still sound allot like the OEM speakers - Bass response is about the same but with better detail and they are still plaqued with overemphasized midrange that gives the OEM speakers that "I'm listening to a cheap transistor radio" feeling. An A/B with one 1665 and one OEM confirmed the 65s are an improvement, but not a very significant one. On the other hand, $50 isn't a significant investment either.

I have nothing to add about the 1695 as I have not heard it. I conclude though that the blooming mid range may be characteristic of Pioneer speakers and the 95's *might* suffer this problem as well. Best go listen to them. Heck, check out the 65s as well, your ears might like them.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Texneus,
Appreciate the honest post; it's good to hear this kind of opinion on such a subjective matter. Call me the Julian Hirsch of car audio; I find it difficult to totally rip on audio gear, because I think every design/price point has a place out there.... Anyhow, I'd like to make a comment or two:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
I ordered some 65s without auditioning them based on some positive postings about them here combined with intution, intentionally picking them over the more expensive 95's. Executive summary: (1) This is the first and last time I'm buying speakers without listening to them first no matter what anyone tells me. (2) The 65s are cheap speakers that sound cheap. </font>
Sounds to me that you are a fairly discriminating guy; I'm surprised you didn't audition, seeing that the 1665 is very readily available for audition at most car audio stores.... The 1695 is tougher to find (I couldn't locally) so sometimes there has to be a leap of faith there....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The only way to get a speaker you know you will be happy with is to go to a store and spend several days auditioning speakers. You can ask for opinions on sound quality and read all the specs, reviews, and recomendations you want but those are just opinions. In the end the only opinion that matters is your ear's. If the reviews are good but your ears say they sound terrible then you listened to the wrong opinions.
</font>
And that's it, this is the subjective nature of sound quality. What sounds good to one, doesn't necessarily sound good to another. However, opinion boards like these are very good as a point of reference. Then at least you have some knowledge beforehand so you know what to look for, what price to pay, etc... Keep in mind too though that many here are looking for an inexpensive, easy upgrade and don't have the time or inclination to spend alot of time shopping around, listening critically, etc... Opinions are very useful to those individuals. And people's standards for what they want are different.

If we all arm ourselves with knowledge before we make decisions, certainly we are better off. And that's what this forum provides.

That said, here is my take on the 1665's -- I stand in defiance to others and say they are not a very meaningful upgrade. They are extremely bright to the point they are painful to listen to without turning the treble almost all the way down. Apart from this, they still sound allot like the OEM speakers - Bass response is about the same but with better detail and they are still plaqued with overemphasized midrange that gives the OEM speakers that "I'm listening to a cheap transistor radio" feeling. An A/B with one 1665 and one OEM confirmed the 65s are an improvement, but not a very significant one. On the other hand, $50 isn't a significant investment either.
</font>
I agree very much with your subjective assessment, for my own standards, but I would argue too that the 1665 represents to most people a fairly significant upgrade. Many people do prefer a very bright sound, esp for the music they listen too. And that is exactly why some people say they really like this speaker. I would argue too that over factory, the Pioneers have better bass capability in that they don't bottom out nearly as easily, so they can play at higher sustained volumes without distortion. And that's really important in the Ody, where the road noise at 60Hz is as loud as it is on textured pavement.

And as you stated, for $50-$80, what can we expect? Surely not audiophile-type sound. I have $800 (retail) components in my car. I can't compare those speaks with these, it's just not fair. For the price range, the Pioneers are appropriate, and quite good. Many will also say Alpines, Sonys, Bazookas, etc... are also great in this price range. Again, subjective opinion.

I have nothing to add about the 1695 as I have not heard it. I conclude though that the blooming mid range may be characteristic of Pioneer speakers and the 95's *might* suffer this problem as well. Best go listen to them. Heck, check out the 65s as well, your ears might like them.</font>
My guess is you probably won't like the 95 much either, based on what I'm hearing from you, thought the 95 is more refined than the 65, IMO. Have you looked into something else yet? Are you planning on upgrading again? If so, and if I can help point you in the right direction, I'm glad to help.

Give me some info on your price range, musical tastes, home setup, expectations, etc... and I'll chime in. Of course, in the end, you gotta go audition it, and be happy with it!

Best Wishes,
SJ

-----------------------
Added in edit...
BIG OOOOPS!!!!

Oops Texneus, now I recognize your name and remember... Disregard most of what I said directed to you. I'm rambling again... So did you end up getting something else, like the Bostons or are you still listening to the 65s?

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody_lee:

The terminals of the 1695 speakers do not have any label. Which one is negative and which one is positive? Thanks!
</font>
The smaller (thinner terminal) is negative.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Appreciate the honest post..."

Can't say I didn't expect somebody to respond to that, it's just as well it was you :). Julian Hirsch? Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. I once heard a joke about his reviews a while ago. It characterised all the audio rags reviewers. Stereo Review (the only one I remember because it was actually quite funny) went "It has a nice wood grain cabinet with black grills. If there was ever a speaker that I reviewed, this was one of them".

I have yet to replace the 1665's. The van is the wife's and she hasn't complained all that loudly about it. Plus there is already more stuff going on at home than both of us can keep up with. I actually had to (gasp) pay a dealer to change the oil in my car last month (something I've only done one other time in my whole life). Upgrading an upgrade is realistically at the very very bottom of the honey-do list...if it's there at all. More likely the next upgrade will be a wood dash kit so it's not so plain vanilla in there.

This is also why I bought these speakers without listening to them...no time for something as silly as car audio shopping, just buy someting to fill that hole. I wasn't expecting audiophile sound, but I was expecting much more based on comments here making it sound like they perform much better than price dictates. I think they do what I would expect a $50 speaker to do...better than OEM, just not much and an explination of why. The only way to know for sure if you're happy with this level of performance though is to go LISTEN, which is the point I really tried to drive home. I also think if I paid full retail for these speakers I'd be T'd...I suspect you can do a great deal better for $100.

You asked me one other time what my musical tastes were and I don't think I did you the honor of a reply then, so I'll do it now. It would be much shorter to list what I don't listen to: Rap and top 40. Last night I found myself listening to Vince Guaraldi followed by the Police on (get this) black dual sided 12" rotary devices with a singular RIAA modulated inward spiraling groove, once commonly known as vinyl LPs. :)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Was wondering if people would get the Julian Hirsch joke. What a cornball, that guy. Likes everything, no matter how bad it really was! Needless to say, I stopped reading SR very quickly after I started....

I agree with Dorhn! Some of the best, most natural sound I've heard was from vinyl LPs piped through tubes. I used to have the most extensive set of vinyl in college. This due to the fact I also used to be a mobile DJ!
Never had a totally audiophile analog setup though, always owned SS equipment (but separate components, always) and used the industry standard SL1200 as my TT. Great for jocks, and sound quality was pretty decent..

Anyhow, drop me a line if and when you shop around again for speaks/car audio stuff. Surely I'll keep you in mind, and remember your preferences when that time comes.

Did someone say something about mile long speaker threads?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was in Walmart over lunch today and since I had business in the auto department I checked out their offerings. They had a strange varient of the 1665, the 166_3_. Have no idea what it is, it looks identical to the 1665. Anyway, those looking for deep bass performance should give Sony's a try. Their two way 6.5" was heads and shoulders above the 1663/5 on the bottom end for the same price. It even slightly bettered the Pioneer 6x9 for bass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw the 1663s in WalMart also. Too noisy for a good listen though
I have tried to find out more about them on the net but so far have been unsuccessful. I sent Pioneer an email via their website asking for differences between the 1665s and 1663s. Will report back if I ever get a reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts