Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How's this for a non Ody-owner deal? I just installed a pair of the now-famous Pioneer 1695 speakers in my neighbor/friend's Ody. Since the pesky rainshield has been discussed quite a bit, I thought I'd shoot some pictures of what needed to be done. The first shot is of the stock hole with the stock speaker removed.

Next I cut out the rainshield just enough to allow the 1695 to fit in the hole. As you can see, there is plenty of rainshield left to do its job, if in fact, its job is needed (debatable). The cut was done with a sharp utility knife, and took all of 20 seconds. This is actually the "ugly" one. The other side went even better.

And finally, the 1695 installed in the door with a rakish 45* tilt to the tweeter.

The whole job, including learning curve, keeping the dog from eating the leftover holloween candy in the street and taking pictures took no more than 20 minutes.

The sonic improvement is well worth the price of these speakers and the minimal install hassle IMHO. This has to be the best bang-for-the-buck stereo upgrade available.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Sir D,
Man I wanna be your neighbor. I've got this furniture building project I'm working on and I could use some help.......

Seriously, we really should be neighbors. I imagine our wives wouldn't put up with us together though!
(wanna move to the peninsula?)

I used to do stuff like that all the time (helping out friends and the like) but so little (time) to go around these days...

Anyhow, great job, great pics. I see you have the horn rotated in the "I like my highs" orientation.... Yoweee!!!!!

With this mod experience under your belt, I have to ask....Are you SURE you don't want that '02?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S. John -

Well, this is for a good friend who does PLENTY of favors for me. I am a sucker for my other neighbors though. Once they figured out I was "handy" it was all over...

I wanted to go with the "super-highs" since my friend (who I'm sure is reading this, so I have to be nice
) was listening to the old speakers with both the bass and treble cranked to max. I figure that with this set-up he can at least flatten the treble. One thing I noticed right off with these speakers is that they'll play at least twice as loud as the stock speakers. If they had some power behind them I'm sure they'd be even better.

Oh, I still want an '02...but I'm still not going to get one. Can't wait to see what happens in the next year or two on the Ody redesign.

Ahhh. If we lived near each other, we'd never get anything done - what with all that beer-drinking and all...

- Sir Darell

·
Registered
483 Posts
Darelldd/Shinjohn:
With this kind of setup, do you have to disconnect the tweeter located in the dash for a 2002 Ody? Did you also upgrade the rears? If you did, can you also post some pics?
Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was done on a 2000 Ody. Nothing else was touched. There are lengthy discussions about the tweeters, rears, etc. on other threads in this forum though. I was just filling in some missing shots of the modified rainshields.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice pics, Darell! On my 2002, I had to notch out the area that is under the connector plug shown in the pics in order to provide clearance for the filter components that are attached to the back of the speaker frame. Maybe this is different on the 2000.

Kuruma, the tweeters are wired in parallel (buried somewhere in the wiring harness, I assume) with the front door speakers. If you want to disconnect them, you should pop the grills out of the dash and disconnect them. Watch out for those pesky metal clips again, one under each edge of the grill, facing you. However, since I installed my new Blau head unit I can FINALLY HEAR the tweeters, so I am leaving them connected. (As an aside, does anyone know about a tweeter upgrade?)

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sinbad, I think Chuck did a tweeter upgrade. Another trick is to simply change the value of the capacitor on the tweeter.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
Nice pics, Darell! On my 2002, I had to notch out the area that is under the connector plug shown in the pics in order to provide clearance for the filter components that are attached to the back of the speaker frame. Maybe this is different on the 2000.
</font>
Thanks! The electronic goodies touched the rim as I shoved the speaker in the hole, but with a little rotating shove, they slipped right in without a problem. I was surprised to find that I could even use the stock holes for the screws to mount these!

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. The only other thing I did that isn't yet mentioned is the removal of a few plastic studs. They pop right off with the knife. They're obvious when you try to fit the new speaker.

Go get 'em!

------------------
-= Darell =-

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
I usually don't care much about car stereo, since most of cars/van/suv cost north of $30k usually equip with quite decent audio.
And my philosophy is that if I want to enjoy real Hi-Fi, I would rather spend money at home where I can relax and really enjoy.
However, you guys keep bragging how good and worthwhile to upgrade to Pioneer 1695 made me want to do the same.
Can someone please tell me what is the reasonable price for a pair of 1695 and where is the best internet store to get that?
Also, about the cutting of rainshield, will the cut compromise the purpose of that rainshield which as the name apply, I assume it protects the speaker from raindrop, am I correct?
Oh, one more silly question, what did you guys do with the removed factory speakers?

·
Registered
130 Posts
With much direction from this board, and after a whole lot of searching---I paid $79.00 plus $13.00 shipping from etronics. Noone could beat that. (I also ordered the 1086's at the same time, so they cut me a deal: only $27.00 for the two sets.)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
Can someone please tell me what is the reasonable price for a pair of 1695 and where is the best internet store to get that?
Also, about the cutting of rainshield, will the cut compromise the purpose of that rainshield which as the name apply, I assume it protects the speaker from raindrop, am I correct?
Oh, one more silly question, what did you guys do with the removed factory speakers?
</font>
About $80 is the lowest you'll find. Also check eBay, as I've seen some new ones offered there as well.

The way I cut it barely compromises the rainshield, but there are many on this board (me included) who don't think the rainshield is really necessary with quality aftermarket speakers.

I personally just gave the stock speakers back to the owner. They'll sit in his garage until the place burns down, I'm sure
If they were mine, they'd be in the trash.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for answering my rainshield questions.
I have seen 2 models of 1695 from Pioneer:TS-A1695 and TS-E1695, they both are sold for $79.99 by etronics.com.
Which one you guys installed?

·
Registered
239 Posts
2 more questions:
(1)I also found a pair of front speakers sold by HandA for a lot less, just $46.8, are these just the replacement of the original speakers that comes with the van, not an upgraded pair?
(2)Since we cannot order both the navigation and entertainment system at the same time for the 02' van, I found HandA offer the IVES for $1349. So, it does not mean the nav and IVES cannot co-exist in the same vehicle. Do you think owners of the 02' with nav can buy the IVES from HandA and installed themselves ? I am asking this because I am afraid there may be comptibility problem of having both nav and IVES in the same van and that's why Honda cannnot offer both together for new owner.

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2)Since we cannot order both the navigation and entertainment system at the same time for the 02' van, I found HandA offer the IVES for $1349. So, it does not mean the nav and IVES cannot co-exist in the same vehicle. Do you think owners of the 02' with nav can buy the IVES from HandA and installed themselves ? I am asking this because I am afraid there may be comptibility problem of having both nav and IVES in the same van and that's why Honda cannnot offer both together for new owner.</font>
The factory RES system is DVD based, with the DVD in the dash. The IVES system is a VCR, and it is in a box in front of the dash. As far as I know, the reason you can't get both NAV and RES is a space problem in the dash (the radio for RES is bigger), and you should be able to add the IVES VCR system to a van with NAV. There are other threads on this.
Chris

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for answering my rainshield questions.
I have seen 2 models of 1695 from Pioneer:TS-A1695 and TS-E1695, they both are sold for $79.99 by etronics.com.
Which one you guys installed?
</font>
TS-A1695 with the compression horn tweeter.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Ahhh. If we lived near each other, we'd never get anything done - what with all that beer-drinking and all...</font>

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
Darelldd/Shinjohn:
With this kind of setup, do you have to disconnect the tweeter located in the dash for a 2002 Ody? Did you also upgrade the rears? If you did, can you also post some pics?
Thanks.
</font>
Disconnecting tweeters is optional, as stated by sinbad. This is a matter of personal preference. Read the 2002 LX upgrade discussion; I talk in length about my tweeter mounting philosophy...

As far as rears are concerned, most people upgrade at the same time, but its not necessarily recommended, just depends on what you want in terms of sound. I say if you are limited in budget, do fronts first, then consider rears and/or subwoofer, depending on what you think is lacking in the system.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 11-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
And my philosophy is that if I want to enjoy real Hi-Fi, I would rather spend money at home where I can relax and really enjoy.
</font>
Back in my non-kid/non-married days, I absolutely agree with this philosophy. My argument for great car stereo is: where else do you sit in one position for long periods of time AND have the time to listen to music? When I get home from work, I can't listen to music or watch the HT hardly at all; I spend time with my kid, talk to my wife, sit down all together for a meal, etc...

Granted, getting audiophile sound in a car is next to impossible. I've spent many, many hours tweaking my car system (my commuter vehicle) and it still doesn't sound as good as my (less expensive) home setup. But my car system is very, very good, and I have no complaints or regrets for doing it! I listen to it more than my home stereo, so it is worth it to me...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 20 of 48 Posts