Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 02 EXL-RES on order. I would like to upgrade the stock speakers, so I was thinking of getting 4 Pioneer 1695's to go i the stock locations. But in the latest Crutchfield catalog, I noticed they have Polk EX 602a's on sale for $79.95 pair, or the EX365 for $119 pair. Anyone have any comments on how the Polk's compare to the pioneers? I want something that is easy to install in the stock location, but I don't mind spending a little more money to get better sound quality.
Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Back in the middle ages when I got my Ody, Crutchfield was advising that you could only use 5-1/4" speakers in the front, and sold me Polk 502a's for the front. They sounded a little better that the stocks. Recently, I replaced them with Pioneer 1665's, and the difference is unbelivable. While I'm sure the 602's are somewhat better than the 502's, I really doubt they are any match for the Pioneers. Crutchfield's service is good, but their prices are certainly not the best.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Chris - I have always thought that brands like Infinity and Polk and Boston are better than Pioneers, Sonys, JVC etc etc.

But...

AFter reading through the experiences posted here I went with the Pioneer 1665s and I am very very happy with them. One or more members here even replaced more expensive Infinity speakers with the Pioneers and heard improvement.

Either Pioneer has really stepped up this year, or their speakers simply shine in the Odyssey's acoustic environment.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Personally, don't like Polk coaxes. Don't suit my tastes... Polks in my experience tend to emphasize the midrange too much, and tail off on the high end. Bass response also lacks relative to what I've experienced with recent Pioneers and other brands like Boston, etc..
My rec is 1695s all around. If you wanna save some bucks and like a "brighter" sound, the 1665 are not be a bad way to go.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went in to buy the Pioneer speakers that have been recommended on this forum but walked out with JLA's. I love them! Lot's of bass. Spent $198.96 installed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Teague:
We have an 02 EXL-RES on order. I would like to upgrade the stock speakers, so I was thinking of getting 4 Pioneer 1695's to go i the stock locations. But in the latest Crutchfield catalog, I noticed they have Polk EX 602a's on sale for $79.95 pair, or the EX365 for $119 pair. Anyone have any comments on how the Polk's compare to the pioneers? I want something that is easy to install in the stock location, but I don't mind spending a little more money to get better sound quality.
Chris
</font>

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's a JLA? Is there a model number?
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
JL Audio. They've been makers of very popular subwoofers over the years, now very recently producing a line of full range speakers, as well as amplifiers.

www.jlaudio.com

-SJ

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I just installed the Pioneer 1695's in the front, and Man, what a difference! Everyone should seriously consider pushing those factory speakers off a cliff! More later, when I have time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Resurrected

I'd thought I would raise this post to the top in hopes of someone providing some feedback.

Noone seemed to have done a side-by-side comparison of the Polks EX602a and Pioneer 1695. Now it seems both are being discontinued (but can still be had from Crutchfield or Comparison Sound). I am thinking of getting the Polks just because I like the sound. However, I do like some bass to my sounds, and I am concerned the Polks may emphasize the midrange more then the bass. The 1695s seem to hit the bass more. I haven't been able to get feedback from someone who has listened to both to compare. Oh, the reason I am looking at these 2 is cause I don't want to spend alot of $$$.

Shinjohn, have you heard both of these and can you recommend?

TIA

- Z

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Re: Resurrected

Mr. Z said:

Shinjohn, have you heard both of these and can you recommend?

TIA

- Z
It's been awhile since I heard Polk's coaxes... Based on what I remember, I'd probably go Pioneer for the sake of bass response and overall balance. Keep in mind too that the 1695 is not an extremely "crisp" speaker either.... If you want a punchier sound on the low end for rock, pop, etc... go Pioneer. If you really value more presence for voice, Polk may suit you better, I'd think. But I did not compare these side by side, and my memory these days is..... well you get the picture.
Hope this helps.. if even a little...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to this. I have Polk DX6's (front and back) in my '02 Ody and they sound Ok (not much bass). Mainly I use Kelton sub for low end and it seems to mix well. :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: Resurrected

Mr. Z said:
Noone seemed to have done a side-by-side comparison of the Polks EX602a and Pioneer 1695. Now it seems both are being discontinued (but can still be had from Crutchfield or Comparison Sound). I am thinking of getting the Polks just because I like the sound. However, I do like some bass to my sounds, and I am concerned the Polks may emphasize the midrange more then the bass. The 1695s seem to hit the bass more. I haven't been able to get feedback from someone who has listened to both to compare. Oh, the reason I am looking at these 2 is cause I don't want to spend alot of $$$.
I replaced all 4 with Polk EX365, I compaire the Pioneer 1695, Polks EX602a, Polk EX365 and other brands. If you had Polk speakers befor and like the sound from them, then you will not like the Pioneer 1695. Only could tell little difference between the 2 Polks at Circuit City store. EX365 has good base in the front door install(I haven't install AMP yet, nextweek), but the rear, you won't get much better than the factory speakers(I'm going to have to do something about this, when installing the AMPs). FYI, the last 3 car sound system i replace, i only used Polks, so i guess i'm bit bias to Polks, but i do compair all the brands i can, everytime i get new speakers. Right now, i'm trying to come up with a speaker box/cargo area cover and put 6X9 speakers back there. I was going to make something to cover up the carge area anyways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are wanting the Pionere TS-A 1695 speakers, I wouldn't wait too long. I tried to order some last week. Most places show them as out of stock. I tried ordering from 3 different places and all 3 orders were cancelled. I was told that this speaker model has been is been dropped from the Pioneer lineup. (I can't confirm if this is true or not.) Several local stores have them as well as a few Interenet sites but they charge list price. I ended up getting a pair on Ebay for $89.00.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the great feedback. I am leaning towards the Polks, but I haven't been able to hear either the EX602a or 1695 in a sound board. Future shop here in Ontario (owned by Best Buy) used to carry them but stopped both models due to discontinuance of the products.

Crutchfield had about 400 pairs of the 602a in stock when I spoke to them last week. The EX365 are a little more than what I wanted to pay. I just picked up a Thule Evolution 1800 for the roof...that set me back some $$$.

-Kevin

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have polk 602s all around and like the sound, the bass, i think it could only be improved to a certain point. i think the sub is the way to go. they are an improvement over the factory speakers and circuit city out here had them for $69.98 clearance. I was not able to compare them to the 1695s but did listen to the 1655 and for me, i liked the polks more. hard to tell on a sound board especially when they are on different boards with different systems powering them, the pioneers were at best buy. ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts