Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put them in yet? How do they sound? How difficult to put in?

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Anyone put them in yet? How do they sound? How difficult to put in?</font>
I didn't get the 1695's, but I have had the 1665's (3-way) for almost a week, so I figured I'd put them in last night and let everybody know.

First off, why the 1665's for me: Well, I'm a big believer that the best way for nice midrange sound is to have a dedicated midrange driver. This was reinforced after the Infinity's I had previously installed, while offering much better sound than the OEM speakers, but still lacked in midrange volume and clarity. And the 1665's were only $10 more than the 2-way 1655's. I paid $55 for them plus shipping. I didn't want to pay $20 on top of that for the 1695's and go back to 2-way, so I purposely settled for the middle ground.

Second, their sound: EXCELLENT!!
This is exactly what I had hoped for. Big clean and clear sound from mid-bass frequencies on up. Now these aren't going to win any competitions, well, at least with the OEM head unit driving them. And I still need my subwoofer. But I am now very happy with the front speaker sound, so my quest has ended. Kudos to Toyman.

BTW, these fit right in the factory speaker screw holes without the use of an adapter ring like the Infinity's used. And since I had already cut out the rain shield for the Infinity's, these fit right in. I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut it some anyway. I used the Honda speaker harnesses, looped the wires thru the little hole in the bottom of the speaker opening, around and thru again to take up some slack and hold the connector away from the window travel path (and hopefully prevent an added source of rattle).

Finally, I used one of the 4" foam baffles, since I didn't use them with the rear speakers, to make new rain shields. The 6.5" baffles are way too huge/deep for the opening, and if they're indeed the slim ones, I'd hate to see the deeper ones. I trimmed the square flange to round, cut off the bottom so the depth ends 1/4-1/2" before the window (plenty deep for the speaker), and then cut it in half to make 2 shields. I placed them over the speaker basket, they are held in place by friction and do not interfere with the screws into flange mount - there is a "second tier" interior surface that the baffle's flange butts to.

I am a very happy camper now, let the good tunes roll...

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2500 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Infinity speakers

[This message has been edited by sdp (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
And oops, I just updated my signature...

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2900 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

·
Registered
103 Posts
A quick update:

Well, I've had a couple days to drive around listening to the 1665's instead of my just after install fiddling/testing in the garage. And I still say wow! These 3-way speakers sound very, very good. Toyman was not just blowing hype in the Pioneers sounding better than the Infinity's. I fiddled with the bass control with my sub-woofer off, and I am rather impressed with how much bass these can put out. Not as much as I'd want, but certainly enough that I wouldn't have been so gun-ho to get the sub-woofer if these were the factory speakers. Hail Pioneer!

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2900 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdp:
I didn't get the 1695's, but I have had the 1665's (3-way) for almost a week, so I figured I'd put them in last night and let everybody know.

First off, why the 1665's for me: Well, I'm a big believer that the best way for nice midrange sound is to have a dedicated midrange driver.

BTW, these fit right in the factory speaker screw holes without the use of an adapter ring like the Infinity's used. And since I had already cut out the rain shield for the Infinity's, these fit right in. I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut it some anyway. I used the Honda speaker harnesses, looped the wires thru the little hole in the bottom of the speaker opening, around and thru again to take up some slack and hold the connector away from the window travel path (and hopefully prevent an added source of rattle).

I am a very happy camper now, let the good tunes roll...

</font>
Hi Steve,

I was wondering, did you have to modify the factory grill that covers these speakers on the door panel? They sound like I good option. I was looking at some Kenwoods that were a bit more expensive but your favorable post on the Pioneers changed my mind. I've got a set of the 1665's coming from Crutchfield and the did say the mods to the rain shield would be needed (I expected that) but they weren't sure if the grill would cover the tweeter without interference. I'd appreciate you're input here.

Thanks & Drive Safe,
another "Steve"

·
Registered
354 Posts
I, too, am waiting for a set of 1665's from Autotoys. In the meantime, I have a set of 1655's that I bought for the Accord, and I temporarily stuck them in the Ody. BIG IMPROVEMENT, and definitely the way to go if you do not want to do any cutting. Before, I had 5-1/4" Polks that Crutchfield recommended and they were a big improvement over factory. The Pioneers are an even bigger improvement over the Polks. Since I, too, have already done the cutting, I ordered the 1665's and expect them to be even better.

Like sdp, I have the KB sub. there used to be a "night and day" difference with the sub turned on and off. With the Pioneers, the difference is much more subtle.

I have 4" Blaupunkts in the rear (also a Crutchfield recommendation). I don't think changing them to Pioneers would make a noticeable difference, but I did put in the XTC baffles as Toyman recommended, and it did make some difference.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steve,

No interference from the grill. The tweeter and midrange are mounted side-by-side, and IIRC they either don't, or just barely, protrude above the outer edges of the whole assembly. So no problem there.

Bob,

I'd be curious to know if you can notice a difference between the 1655's and 1665's.

BTW, Crutchfield charges nearly $100 for the 1665's. Steve, did you happen to look at Autotoys? - they're only $70 there. I paid $55 from Millionbuy.com, the cheapest dealer I could find, only because I don't trust Ebay that they'd be new, never tried to be installed, and not reconditioned.

Crutchfield has it's good points too, though. I didn't use my 6.5" foam baffles, and when I went to return them, they just credited my card and said don't bother sending them back b/c it would cost them too much in shipping. But favorable policies such as this come at the cost of higher prices. FWIW...

[This message has been edited by sdp (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
354 Posts
OK. I finally put the 1665's in. When I had previousely put the Polks in, I didn't have to cut out as much as you guys with the infinity's did. Only two little "triangles" in the back. The 1655's fit in with no problem, of course, and sounded great. When I tried the 1665's they fit, but the fit was tight, and due to them touching the plastic or the air path being blocked or whatever, the base sounded worse that the 1655's. I then cut out the baskets like the infinity guys and reinstalled the 1665's and they now sound excellent. If I turn off the sub and turn up the bass a little, it sounds almost as good. I don't have the baffles like you do. Do I need them? Does anyone else with the basket cut out have any water problems?

For anyone that wants the best possible solution without cutting, the 1655's are the way to go. If you don't mind cutting out the basket, the 1665's are even better. I can't believe I'm listening to the the same head unit!

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobf58:
I don't have the baffles like you do. Do I need them? Does anyone else with the basket cut out have any water problems?</font>
Good question. I just did it instead of throwing away the unused baffle. Part of me says Honda put a shield there for a reason. The other part of me says, "Yeah, because of their crappy speaker with a paper cone that might disintegrate upon contact with water." I don't know the real answer. Anyone else?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you don't mind cutting out the basket, the 1665's are even better. I can't believe I'm listening to the the same head unit!
True, but I still wish it had more oomph. I can turn it up fairly loud, but then it won't go hardly any louder as I crank the volume knob around like winding a watch (remember when you had to do that!). Note that it never reaches distortion as it just can't get loud enough. There are some subtle passages in some of the music I listen to that I turn up to hear better, especially if I'm trying to figure out what the vocalist said, but this unit just can't get there. Nemogira - note that I don't have these problems with my Black Sabbath. They don't know what a "subtle passage" even is.

As I noted in another post, hopefully someday (preferable the 02's), Honda will come out with a better head unit that I can get from Trevor and replace mine. Trevor, does the Accord have any better head unit's that'll keep the steering wheel controls and fit our Ody's? Acura's?

[This message has been edited by sdp (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
True, but I still wish it had more oomph. I can turn it up fairly loud, but then it won't go hardly any louder as I crank the volume knob around like winding a watch (remember when you had to do that!). Note that it never reaches distortion as it just can't get loud enough. There are some subtle passages in some of the music I listen to that I turn up to hear better, especially if I'm trying to figure out what the voalist said, but this unit just can't get there. Nemogira - note that I don't have these problems with my Black Sabbath. They don't know what a "subtle passage" even is.

</font>
I'm much happier with my 1665's too and have had similar concerns as sdp. I haven't had the volume problem he refers to but I still wonder about the power of the radio head itself.

Has anyone tried an aftermarket amp with speaker level inputs on the stock radio system?

Inquiring minds......

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intrepid 175
01 TW Navi
I Have also installed the 1665's and they sound great. Your right, they just need a little more power to them.I Installed a Jensen XA250 amplifier with a Scosche FAI-3 interface between the head unit and amplifier. It really sounds great.

·
1,484 Posts
Nemogira - note that I don't have these problems with my Black Sabbath. They don't know what a "subtle passage" even is.
</font>
Nope! If anything...Black Sabbath ain't SUBTLE! Passage?...maybe if it was a passage to hell or something, I don't know?

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
88 Posts
I didn't get the 1695's, but I have had the 1665's (3-way) for almost a week, so I figured I'd put them in last night and let everybody know.</font>

SDP - I've got the 1086s for the rear and have been trying to decide on the 1655 (easy install) versus the 1665 (some cutting). Is there as much cutting of the rain sheild as the infinitys? I'd like to avoid the cutting but would prefer the better 1665s if I'm bothering to upgrade. Was it much of a problem? Someone said (was it you?) that you could fit it in (tightly) without cutting - true? Thanks JEFF

·
Registered
354 Posts
benezrj,

Scroll up a little and see my previous post. I had the 1665's fit tightly with just the back "triangles" cut out. but unless you're going to cut it out completely, get the 1655's as they'll sound better, with NO cutting.

sdp,

Why didn't you use the baffles in the rear? I found it helped a bit.

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the 1665's fit tightly with just the back "triangles" cut out. but unless you're going to cut it out completely, get the 1655's as they'll sound better, with NO cutting.</font>
Bob - with the back cut all out, do the 1665 sound appreciably better than the 1655? Is it worth the effort? JEFF

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EzRyder:
Intrepid 175
01 TW Navi
I Have also installed the 1665's and they sound great. Your right, they just need a little more power to them.I Installed a Jensen XA250 amplifier with a Scosche FAI-3 interface between the head unit and amplifier. It really sounds great.
</font>
Hi EzRider,

Thanks for the input. Out of curiocity, where did you mount the amp and could you give more info on exactly what this Scosche FAI-3 interface is? I've never heard of such a device.

Thanks!
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by benezrj:
SDP - I've got the 1086s for the rear and have been trying to decide on the 1655 (easy install) versus the 1665 (some cutting). Is there as much cutting of the rain sheild as the infinitys? I'd like to avoid the cutting but would prefer the better 1665s if I'm bothering to upgrade. Was it much of a problem? Someone said (was it you?) that you could fit it in (tightly) without cutting - true? Thanks JEFF</font>
Like Bob said, I think the 1665's and the Infinity's both need nearly the entire rain shield out of the way. Also note that it is easier to remove the whole rain shield than just part of it. To remove the whole thing I could cut just where the bevel of the shield ends - a flat surface parallel to the door. Otherwise you'd have to cut somewhat inside the hole on a curved, awkward surface. Look at the speaker install photo's others have posted and maybe you can see what I mean.

That said, don't be afraid of having to cut if Bob says the 1665's are that much better. I just used a standard utility knife with a sharp (fairly new) blade. Once you get started it cuts easily. When doing work of this type I always hold my wrist with the non-cutting hand just to make sure I don't slip too far when putting on enough pressure to cut thru the plastic. Once it gets started sometimes it wants to keep going. Each cut took less than 2 minutes. I too was a little timid cutting my new megabuck vehicle, but it was very easy and well worth it.

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 3500 miles

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why didn't you use the baffles in the rear? I found it helped a bit.

</font>
I didn't like the Infinity's back there with or without the baffle. So I put the stock 4"-ers back in, both with and without the baffle, and liked them better w/out the baffle. In the near future I will get the Pioneer 1086's and will experiment again with my 1 remaining 4" baffle. If it helps a lot I will buy another set.

Note that I am not nearly as picky for these speakers as I cannot hear them anyway...

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 3500 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Hi EzRider,

Thanks for the input. Out of curiocity, where did you mount the amp and could you give more info on exactly what this Scosche FAI-3 interface is? I've never heard of such a device.

Thanks!
Drive Safe,
Steve
</font>
Steve,
The Scosche FAI-3 is a little flat box with adjustments to lower the speaker output from the radio to the inputs to the amplifier.The ground wires to the speakers are not used.The ground wire fo the FAI-3 is connected directly to the radio chassis.I used double stick tape and stuck it to the top of the radio.I mounted the amplifier on the floor between the front seats.The tray dosen't go all the way down but we have it up most of the time anyway.It's a good day's job to pull everything apart and install all the wiring. The amplifier also powers the tweeters up front.
Doug

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jeff,

As Steve mentioned way up at the top of this topic, the big difference between the 1655 and the 1665 is in the mid-range to upper tones, the 1665 being a 3-way speaker. I think the difference is worth it, but may change my mind if I experience water damage. I know that many of the folks here have had the Infinitys for at least a year without a problem. I agree with Steve that the factory speakers really need the rain guard but the Pioneers are made to resist water.

Steve,

I have Blaupunkts in the rear that sound hardly better that the factorys. I'm anxious to hear about the 1086's.

What about the rest of you that have already installed the 1086's. How much of a difference from factory?

Bob

1 - 20 of 68 Posts