Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the pictures and info provided my install took 40 minutes, the sound is improved 4 fold.

I did need to cut the housing between 4 and 7 o'clock to get the electronics(capacitors or whatever) past the door housing. This enabled the speaker to fit flush.

Anyways, I'm average mechanically competent, the first speaker took 20 minutes, the second took 5 minutes.

The factory finish is maintained!!!
The sound is much, much better!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
We've really enjoyed ours. Congrats on a successful mod!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks for confirming that you had to cut out (like I did) for the filter components between 4 an 7 o'clock. I think that the 2002 door panel is slightly different from prior years on this. Now put'em in the back for mo'better sound!

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
130 Posts
The etronics website for tracking orders says mine come tomorrow. Maybe, just maybe, I'll do them meself, what with all this information and what not. (Then again, maybe not.) I don't think I'll tackle the rears with the 1086's unless someone here gives me more encouragement. Can't wait to hear these things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have the 2002 model. I put mine in over the weekend. It took me a little bit longer since I was not sure why I can not fit it in after the cut DarellDD showed in A/V section. What I found was, you DO need to do the 4 and 7 clock notch cut (as suggested by sinbad) and remove 2 studs to fit it in. One thing I wish I could do better is to tie the wire more securely so it won't have a chance to interfere with the electric windows (no problems so far)

Boys. This is by far the most worthwhile improvement I have made. I can hear the guitar so clearly from the Fleetwood Mac's Tusk album and the violin from NPR music.

I am thinking about to swap out the rear speakers as well. So far have a tough time to remove the grille out of fearing to lose the clips.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboRT:
One thing I wish I could do better is to tie the wire more securely so it won't have a chance to interfere with the electric windows (no problems so far)</font>
I don't remember the details exactly but when I installed 1665's in my '01 I used a couple of ties to hold the speaker leads to the back of the speaker frame and to the bottom (I think) of the speaker opening. This keeps them from interfering with the window and prevents rattles.

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp95se:
Thanks to all the pictures and info provided my install took 40 minutes, the sound is improved 4 fold.

I did need to cut the housing between 4 and 7 o'clock to get the electronics(capacitors or whatever) past the door housing. This enabled the speaker to fit flush.

Anyways, I'm average mechanically competent, the first speaker took 20 minutes, the second took 5 minutes.

The factory finish is maintained!!!
The sound is much, much better!!!!
</font>
How much($) are the 1695's?

·
Registered
564 Posts
$80 is about the best you'll find.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rkevin3:
How much($) are the 1695's?</font>
Etronics has them for $80.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Turbo, to remove the rear grill, pry up the rear edge just enough to admit a screwdriver and visualize one of the two clips. Then insert a second screwdriver deep enough to make contact with the METAL CLIP and pry up ON THE CLIP just enough to get it over the hump. This keeps the clip from slipping off, and it will remain on the plastic tab. Repeat procedure for second clip.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Maybe, just maybe, I'll do them meself, what with all this information and what not. (Then again, maybe not.) I don't think I'll tackle the rears with the 1086's unless someone here gives me more encouragement. Can't wait to hear these things.</font>
Go MerpsMom, GO!!!! Yeah!! You can do it!
OK, j/k. But seriously, the fronts are not bad, but you gotta go with your own comfort level. If ya lived in the CA Bay, I'd offer to do it for ya free at the meet this weekend!
Anyhow, take care, and the best to ya...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts