Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After following several message threads (especially http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000094.html) I decided to install Pioneer TSA-1665's and TSA-1086's along with foam baffles (rear only) to replace the stock speakers in my '01 EX. I also visited several local stores trying to evaluate this combination in advance but I couldn’t find anyone that had both of these speakers set up in the same demo area.

I ordered the speakers and baffles from Autotoys (reasonable prices and free shipping). I picked up a couple pair of Metra 72-7800 wiring adapters at a local Best Buy.

Installation was pretty simple. The rain guard had to be modified (see Chuck's installation) for the front speakers. A utility knife with a fresh blade did the job quickly.

I originally just let the wires hang loose but they interfered with the windows; nothing serious, just some noise when the windows operated. I solved this problem by tie-wrapping the factory wire to the door panel through the small hole at the bottom of the speaker opening. I also tied the two wires from the adapter together to hold them close to the speaker.

While I was installing the speakers my wife and I evaluated the replacements versus the originals (she originally questioned why I wanted to make this mod) with the new speaker on the right side and the original on the left. We both agreed there was a definite improvement, better bass and highs and a much cleaner sound.

We just came back from a week long, 1600+-mile road trip (Minnesota, to Chicago area, to Northeast Indiana, and back, with lots of driving around Chicago and Indiana). We're quite pleased with the performance of this setup.

BTW: I have a Sony 10-CD changer (RF modulated type) installed under the front of the driver's seat with the wired remote run into the glove compartment.

Mel

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
How long did it take you to get the things from Autotoys? How long before a shipping confirmation?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
How long did it take you to get the things from Autotoys? How long before a shipping confirmation?

</font>
IIRC less than 24 hours, almost certainly within 48 hours. I think the speakers were shipped the same day I ordered them even though only one pair showed as "in stock" when I was placing the order.

Mel

·
Registered
568 Posts
Why do you need foam baffle for the rear TS-A1086?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
In the case of the Pioneer 1086, bass response is better using the baffle. Some speakers work better with a small "enclosure" while others work better in an "infinite baffle" configuration. If you have access to a given speakers parameters (Qts, Fs ,Vas) you can usually ballpark this.

Most installers just try the baffles out to see how they sound. If the baffles are no good, the speaker tends to sound "boxy", and bass response suffers....

In general though, most car speakers were designed for use without baffles, and therefore people have used them for the purpose of keeping moisture out of the speakers when doing a door installation, etc..

Hope this helps,
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Pioneer TSA1655 fronts and TSA1086 rears. The sound is much better - not earth-shattering mind you, but much cleaner and clearer - especially at higher volumes (which is nedded at highway speeds). Not a super improvement in bass, but noticable.

Used the harnesses (4.99 / pair at Best Buy) and installation was simple. The rear speaker grills were a little hard to remove (on one, I lost the metal clip into the cavity of the van). The front grills were a snap to remove (no pun intended).

Since I'm not much of a music nut in the car (I have a short commute) the upgrade was worth it - and at about $120 for everything, a bargin. JEFF

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the foam baffles for the rear speakers? Is it possible to fabricate something similar? I've got the speakers from eBay but no baffles and I'm not sure I want to pay shipping just for this item.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfearing:
Anyone have a picture of the foam baffles for the rear speakers? Is it possible to fabricate something similar? I've got the speakers from eBay but no baffles and I'm not sure I want to pay shipping just for this item.</font>
Check out crutchfiled.com they have pictures of 4" baffles

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfearing:
Anyone have a picture of the foam baffles for the rear speakers? Is it possible to fabricate something similar? I've got the speakers from eBay but no baffles and I'm not sure I want to pay shipping just for this item.</font>
sfearing,
Check out this link to the autotoys website. They have pics of the Pioneer install, with baffles in the rear...

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY_2000/Odyssey_Speakers_Lts/odyssey_speakers_lts.htm

p.s.- you can make your own with plastic/wood/fiberglass, but its probably alot more trouble than buying the vacuum formed baffles....

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the links to the pictures, guys! From the looks of it, the purpose seems to be to create a little resonating chamber close behind the speaker rather than the whole cavity back there, right? If that's all there is, then I'll rig up something or stop by my local car stereo installer and see what they've got.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys,

I also replaced the front stock speakers with 1655s. What I'm wondering is whether it's worth it to replace the rear fills with the 1086s. Since they're just 4" and so far rearward, do you really here them from the front location? I wouldn't be replacing them for the benefit of back seat riders - no one that rides in the back of my van cares one way or the other. Has anyone tried out new fronts without new rears, then upgraded? If so, how noticeable is the difference?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Hey guys,

I also replaced the front stock speakers with 1655s. What I'm wondering is whether it's worth it to replace the rear fills with the 1086s. Since they're just 4" and so far rearward, do you really here them from the front location? I wouldn't be replacing them for the benefit of back seat riders - no one that rides in the back of my van cares one way or the other. Has anyone tried out new fronts without new rears, then upgraded? If so, how noticeable is the difference?

Thanks!
</font>
Rob,
I've got a longwinded opinion on rear speakers in this thread, 2 or 3rd to the last post...
I only have upgraded fronts right now, factory in rear. Subwoofer is my next step....

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000176.html

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
</font>
Rob:

I had the same question as you. I can't hear anything from my rear speakers. But since my kids sit there all the time. I might just upgrade them since people are upgrade both of them. I just won a pair of 1086 from ebay. I will let you know after I install them.

bjk

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses and the pointer to the detailed review. I'm going to hold off for now, concentrate my few discretionary dollars on some detailing products...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Got my TS-A1086 and speakers harness. Going to install and test the new TS-1086.

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
568 Posts
Swapped out the rear speakers with TS-A1086. It took me only 10 minutes. Hardess job was to pop the speaker grill open. Sound is definately much improved. My kids love it. They could enjoy the sound as the front seat passangers now.

If you haven't done it. DO IT NOW.

------------------
'01 GG EX
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 Arrived
Lojack

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah. And buy mine, new in the box, complete with foam baffles, for $45 shipped to your door.

Yeah, I was going to get an 01, but ended up with an 02. Cart got before the horse on this one, so here they sit, waiting for some nice Ody owner to take them on.

[email protected]

·
Registered
182 Posts
I replaced the rear speakers with the TS-A1086's (Thanks, adam1991) and they do sound a lot cleaner. No problems installing, but it took me longer than 10 minutes. One of the metal clips fell into the cavity and it took a while to recover it. I also used the 7800 harness adapters and wrapped the connectors in foam so I wouldn't hear any rattles later. The baffles were a tight fit, its a good thing they are flexable. The original speakers seemed to be larger, maybe 4 1/2" and covered the cutouts better, so the baffles helped seal that area too.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
88 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
One of the metal clips fell into the cavity and it took a while to recover it. </font>
I lost one of the metal clips the same way, installing the same speakers. How did you recover it? That well is pretty deep and I figured it was lost forever. JEFF

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by benezrj:
I lost one of the metal clips the same way, installing the same speakers. How did you recover it? That well is pretty deep and I figured it was lost forever. JEFF</font>
If you are lucky, you can reach your arm down toward the rear corner of the van and fish it out with your fingers. Otherwise, use a magnetic tipped retriever... you can get one from your local HW store. The only problem is locating the clip if it has falled down a little crevice! If you can't grab it, the only way to get it if you really wanna find it is to pull of the panel.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts