Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2014 Odysee had a couple pistons blow and they created a hole in the engine. 60K miles Dealership service manager said he’s seen nothing like this and it’s as if something inside the engine blew.
we purchased this 2 years ago and. Do not have extended warranty.
has anyone else experienced this and do you think contacting Honda corporate would help?

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
This is (luckily) a very rare occurrence. I can't say I've heard of holing a block in a stock J35 before. (now, the buddy of mine that has one in his sand rail... different animal)

You can contact Honda corporate, but don't expect much. You are out of the warranty by miles (just barely) and out of the warranty by time (by more than 50%). Sounds like its time for a used engine, sadly. Try to get an Odyssey engine from the 2014-2017 with low mileage, and disable the VCM system after the install.

-Charlie

· Registered
5,041 Posts
Our 2014 Odysee had a couple pistons blow and they created a hole in the engine. 60K miles Dealership service manager said he’s seen nothing like this and it’s as if something inside the engine blew.
we purchased this 2 years ago and. Do not have extended warranty.
has anyone else experienced this and do you think contacting Honda corporate would help?
what cylinder numbers?
bank 1 (rear cylinders 1,2,3) or bank 2 (front 3,4,5)

do you know if the piston rings were previously repaired for carbon buildup due to active vcm.
cylinders 1-4 are affected.
it would be on record with the dealer based on your VIN.

pistons have to come out for that work, if the tech didn't reassemble and torque properly you could throw a rod.

or as mentioned a rare occurrence.

would press Honda for some good will due to the low mileage.

· Registered
11,008 Posts
a couple pistons blow and they created a hole in the engine
This is very bad, but highly unusual.

Under what driving conditions did it happen? Idling? Passing? ...

Any noises or other abnormal conditions immediately prior?

Talk to your dealer first and get a damage assessment. Honda will accept technical info only from a dealer. Otherwise, you won't get anywhere with them. It's going to be a battle, but you need to make your best case.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

· Registered
322 Posts
Note that a certain number of 2014’s had a crack develop in the head around one of the cam journals. I would find out if perhaps that was an issue, and if so, see whether Honda will cover it.

I’m not saying this was directly related, but a loss of oil pressure or coolant in the oil can obviously have major effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note that a certain number of 2014’s had a crack develop in the head around one of the cam journals. I would find out if perhaps that was an issue, and if so, see whether Honda will cover it.

I’m not saying this was directly related, but a loss of oil pressure or coolant in the oil can obviously have major effects.

Thank you. We are dealing with the dealership and Honda. Dealership is forwarding all technical info along with pictures to Honda.
we have been assigned a case # from Honda also. May take awhile but it’s worth the wait.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,197 Posts
I think I have heard of someone else having this issue on the Odyssey subreddit. Definitely very interesting. I can't remember but I think it may have been the same model year as well, VCM not disabled.

· Registered
603 Posts
I'm guessing it throw a rod or two - a piston can't 'blow' and put a hole in the block or oil pan. I'd say this is extremely rare with the J35 engine. A possible cause would be cylinders flooded with gas from stuck injectors after running, then bending or breaking rods on the next start. Otherwise from low oil, used-up oil, failed oil pump, excessive RPM and/or very severe driving.

· Registered
322 Posts

Link to thread on cracked head.

· Registered
5,041 Posts

Link to thread on cracked head.

that's a casting issue, the OP said the rods went through the block, no response what cylinder numbers or if there was previous work done on the motor.

· Registered
322 Posts
that's a casting issue, the OP said the rods went through the block, no response what cylinder numbers or if there was previous work done on the motor.
Yes it is. Depending on the severity, you could end up with water in the oil, coolant in the cylinder or any number of other issues related to it. Who knows what might have happened, but it’s worth checking out as a possible, underlying issue that might save him/her money if HMA decides it is liable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.