Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2014 Odyssey Van towed in this week to a Honda Dealer due to misfiring and three bad piston rings. I need help in getting this “known” problem by Honda fixed!!!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,769 Posts
First of all, this is hardly Odyclub news.

You're better off towing it out of there, getting a VCM disable device, and replacing the plugs. VCM is what caused it, and nothing Honda does will truly fix it. Save yourself the money of a ring job and do this, which is a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: exploreco

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Honda will never recommend nor install a VCM disable device, yet this is the only cure for this problem.

Reactions: Lucky48

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same issue for my 2016 Odyssey (125K miles). So if I'm reading this correctly, if I replace the plugs and muzzle the VCM system the piston ring issue "goes away" for lack of a better word? That would certainly be the preferred way to go. One question though, won't my new plugs get fouled by oil getting into the cylinder if the piston ring isn't fixed. Also, will all the various lights that are going crazy stop or is there a way to make them stop? Caveat I don't know if I'm using the right terminology here but hopefully you know what I mean.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
One question though, won't my new plugs get fouled by oil getting into the cylinder if the piston ring isn't fixed.
There's a good chance the rings will free themselves after you disable VCM and all the cylinders are firing all the time. Once free, they will function as designed to stop oil from entering the cylinder and fouling the spark plugs.

Check the plugs after a few thousand miles post-VCM. If they are still showing oil deposits, the engine may need a soak to free the rings. But cross that bridge when (and if) you come to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts