Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning on a 2,000 mile trip to Salt Lake City for a wedding this Spring. I just wanted to find out if I can drive the van non-stop for 26 - 33 hours? Good or bad? I only have 11 days. If it takes me 2 days to get there and two days back, I only have 7 days left to enjoy. (This is not a math problem). This does not include stop overs, if any, along the way.

Also, any interesting spots along the way. I guess 1,000 miles would be along I-80.

Or maybe it's not even worth it unless I can stop over at TrickedOdy's shop for intakes, exhaust, etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
YOU driving the Odyssey, or any other vehicle, for that long is pretty much suicidal, if not murderous. I assume you will have co-drivers and, no, I see no downside to running the van for that long, aside from some very tired bodies upon arrival. Just watch the old water temperature guage, check the fluids at gas stops, and have fun.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry:
You are right on your assumption. I've got my wife & my sister-in-law as my co-drivers. I was just concerned that the van will be running continuously for that period of time.
Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A while back, I and my wife and 3 other people drove a Chevy station wagon from Orange County, CA to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We stopped only for gas and bio needs. It must be at least 24+ hours.

We spent a week in BC and drove back to OC the same way.

I don't think you'll have any problem with the Ody.

------------------
GG '02 EX-L NAVI

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
The Ody makes the PERFECT road trip vehicle!

Make sure the oil is changed, the fluid levels are good, the tires are at the proper psi, and buy a case of Jolt.

Take time to enjoy the whole process of the trip. "Getting there is half the fun." Never stress over deadlines that you make for yourself.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
94 Posts
My all-time road trip took me from Pittsburgh to Dawson B.C. in 72 hours. We were on our way to Alaska via the Alaska Highway. Since the highway hadn't been paved then we had to stop in Dawson and switch to drivinge only in daylight hours (gravel roads have no painted lines to keep you on track so we opted for safety). We drove my brother's company car, a Pontiac with a moderately sized V-8 engine. We experienced not one problem related to the functioning of the car. Take the advise of the previous reponders about engine fluids and tire pressure and you shouldn't have a problem. Also realize that some drivers have a higher tolerance than others for staying awake long hours behind the wheel. I remember that I slept through the entire state of Montana while my brother and our friend drove! Would I do it again? You bet. I have better memories of being on the road than I do of the destination.

If you'are coming through Colorado on your way to Salt Lake City, I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is worth a few hours stop-over. About half way through the canyon is a great pull-out and rest stop called Hanging Lake. There is a wonderful trail that leads up to a small lake, and takes about two hours up and back. Definately a winner.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you have children, make frequent stops. 3-4 hour intervals will be good before they start to complain. Two days would be enough time to get to Utah. If you don't have a co-driver, get sleep after 7-9 hours of driving even if you don't feel tired. Even one hour of sleep is refreshing.
Take your time and don't worry about the schedule. Enjoy your time with the family in one place for hours on end.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
famguy said:
... 3-4 hour intervals will be ...
Does your family tend to have cast iron or rubber bladders?

Seriously, I think shorter intervals are more desirable, both for the kids and the driver(s). For a very long trip I suggest that 2-3 hour intervals between "short" breaks is more appropriate. On shorter (?) trips, say 250 miles/5 hours, you might make it in a single leg.

Just my 2¢ worth,
Mel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts