Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed reading the posts. Having our son safe in his car seat (and now the new van) is a top priority. By the way, I love our Bitax. My husband was able to get the seat so tight in the van.

My husband and I have beeen looking at swingsets. I have been searching the internet for a similar board with this topic. This mornign I thought, lets try the ody board. Please excuse the different topic, but I really need some advice.

We have thought about building a set ourselves, but the warnings on the pressure treated wood has me scarred. However, if you go to pressure treated wood sights, they qoute studies showing no affect from arsnic exposure.

Does anyone have any helpful info? We have looked into the redwoood sets, but I am not sure a swingset should cost that much.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by newodyowner:
We have thought about building a set ourselves, but the <font color=red>warnings</font> on the pressure treated wood has me scarred. However, if you go to pressure treated wood sights, they qoute <font color=red>studies</font> showing no affect from arsnic exposure.

Does anyone have any helpful info? We have looked into the redwoood sets, but I am not sure a swingset should cost that much.
</font>
Could you elaborate more on the “warnings” and “studies”. I was unaware of any problems with pressure treated lumber.

I didn’t know this either, but when we lived out West for a few years the pressure treated lumber there was very different from what I was used to. In the Southeast, where I am from and now live, pressure treated means a piece of wood waterlogged through and through with a greenish substance, while out West it meant a surface coating with some brownish suff. I would assume there are even more types available. Don’t know where you are from as you’re profile isn’t filled in, but you may be able to get different flavors of treated lumber.

Another alternative to redwood might be cedar, though I don’t have any idea at the pricing comparison. Of course there is always metal, but at the rate things are going I feel certain that we’ll be reading about the dangers of galvanization one day soon.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
We purchased a Rainbow playset this year and its wonderful. My wife was also concerned about the CCA and chemicals in the pressure treated wood. After a lot of internet searching and hours of looking at all the playsets out there we are extremely pleased with the Rainbow system. Since it is getting to the end if not the end of the season most Rainbow dealers sell the display sets at a huge discount not to mention if you ever see a vendor at a trade or craft show ask them if you can purchase that demo set. They take it down and install it the next day after the show is over at a pretty good discount. As you can see I have learned all of this after paying full price on my set. But the kids love it and so do the neighbor's kids. Rainbow does have a website and will send you a video and brochure. 800-RAINBOW or www.rainbowplay.com

Best of luck.....

Soon to be proud owners of a 02 White EX-L RES
(Pick it up on Thursday)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. We are going to go with a set by creative playthings. We originally looked at these, but it is hard to tell quality by the internet! After a good review by Adam, I think this is the set for us.

Thank you once again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts