Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I just got done helping my brother with his 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 60k miles. He was driving back from a long trip with the wife and kids, when the A/C died and they smelled a "burning" smell. I told him to bring it over, since I've worked on many car A/C systems, and I knew he was not capable of diagnosing the problem, or paying a mechanic.

I saw some residue around the clutch, but the compressor spun by hand and the system had a full charge. I diagnosed it as a burned stator. The part was ordered and I just replaced it along with a 30 AMP fuse for the fan. I adjusted the clutch to about .35MM, fired the van up, and the A/C immediately started to work. Ice cold with 33PSI low and 225PSI high pressures.

Here's the problem. Once the car is driven at highway speeds for 10 minutes or so, the clutch starts to slip and the stator over heats. I'm thinking it's the compressor starting to go and causing too much strain on the clutch. What do you guys think? Great site, by the way. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you checked the supply current to the clutch? Perhaps the current is not sufficient to keep the clutch from slipping at highway speeds. A dirty relay might do that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the supply current to the clutch? Perhaps the current is not sufficient to keep the clutch from slipping at highway speeds. A dirty relay might do that. Just a thought.
I swapped relays in the fuse box under the hood. I assume that's the only one. What is "normal" current supposed to be?:huh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My a/c stopped working yesterday. Took it to Honda. They said the compressor clutch went out. Having it replaced. Haven't heard of other problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any further problems?

I know it's been a couple years, but did this fix the problem permanently. Mine has 60k on it, is no longer under warranty and we are now having this problem.

Thank you,
Brian

My a/c stopped working yesterday. Took it to Honda. They said the compressor clutch went out. Having it replaced. Haven't heard of other problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed some crackling coming from the dash (b/ sounds like under my steering wheel) and then today my drivers side air went out b/ the passenger side works fine. I have a 2006 EX Odyssey. I have noticed that most of the replies on here deal w/ the AC problem b/ haven't seen anything tied in w/ the crackling. Do you think they are related and is there a fix that doesn't involve the shop?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts