Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY close to purchasing a 2003 EX from my local Carmax with 100k on the odometer.
$9,995 and i will add the extended warranty that will get me to 150,000 miles.

What should I be looking for as far as kicking the tires are concerned?
The do the usual speel about the 128 point inspection and stuff..

I will be honest and say I am worried about the transmission failing after reading reviews and some stuff around here on the forums..

I am not afraid of turning wrenches... just AFTER the warrenty period!!

Do I check for codes? Smell trans fluid for burnt smell.. or look for dark color?

We are supposed to be there in a few hours to test drive and look as it was delivered from a different location.

Any quick help would be GREATLY appreciated!1

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you want to avoid the transmission failing, buy a Toyota Sienna. You should be able to get a similar age/miles Sienna for about the same price as an Odyssey. This is the smart way to avoid the otherwise inevitable transmission problem. Avoid the all-wheel drive and run-flat tires on the Sienna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn.

Really had my heart set on the ody.
I have looked around my area for the Sienna.. a few grand more for the same year..

i am not worried about the trans as long as I am under warrenty.. i will have 50,000 mile warranty or 6 years.. which ever is first.

seems like there are some extra maintenance steps on these vans that are popular like change ATF fuid every 6 - 12,000 miles...

·
Registered
447 Posts
$9995 for a van that has 100k? I should have sold mine before it started getting hungry for parts!!
For $10K more you can have a BRAND NEW Dodge Caravan. I've seen them advertized
for $19950. I've had both Ody (now 130K miles) and Caravan sold at 120k, with origional tranny. The Caravan had less problems BY FAR.
You're paying extra for that great Honda Accord/Civic reputation, which I haven't found on this Ody.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am VERY close to purchasing a 2003 EX from my local Carmax with 100k on the odometer.
$9,995 and i will add the extended warranty that will get me to 150,000 miles.

What should I be looking for as far as kicking the tires are concerned?
The do the usual speel about the 128 point inspection and stuff..

I will be honest and say I am worried about the transmission failing after reading reviews and some stuff around here on the forums..

I am not afraid of turning wrenches... just AFTER the warrenty period!!

Do I check for codes? Smell trans fluid for burnt smell.. or look for dark color?

We are supposed to be there in a few hours to test drive and look as it was delivered from a different location.

Any quick help would be GREATLY appreciated!1

Thanks in advance..
Do not, I repeat, do not buy the Odyssey. As mentioned earlier, try a Sienna.

Even with a warranty, not worth the headaches. READ THE OTHER POSTS !

:nothappy:

·
Registered
305 Posts
People can change their ATF frequently, add an extra tranny fluid cooler, add extra filters, not tow, drive gently, and their trannies still fail.

Then Honda says the only thing they can do is replace them.

Even after owning an Ody and reading thousands of post and talking to Honda service people, I still don't completely understand why the transmissions go bad, why Honda didn't fix the problems sooner, why Honda doesn't train their tech people to fix them rather than just always replace them, or how to really prevent failure.

Different people have different theories about these trannys and have different recommendations on how to prevent failure. I don't think anybody really has THE ANSWER.

I think $9,995 is too high. Your extended warranty is probably adding $2,000+ to the price. Look on craigslist and see what 2003 Ody's are going for in your area. Then add $4,000 for a tranny replacement some time in the future.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
If you do buy that van - ask them to throw in the 105K timing belt service in. It is around $800 to $1K for this service.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good point New Dad. Did this van have new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, and spark plugs recently installed? Somebody probably sold the van instead of spending $1,000 to have this done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anything man made will fail regardless of make or model especially automatic transmissions! That is all.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What other man-made automatic transmission fails at such a high rate Sleepless?

·
Registered
447 Posts
damn.

I have looked around my area for the Sienna.. a few grand more for the same year..

$12K for a Sienna with 100k miles, that seems crazy too.
I think you can get a brand new 2011 basic model for $25K and a new Caravan with extended warrenty for $21k (maybe less for 2011, they're dealing).

My brother's 2000 Sienna tranny went bad at 83K, so Toyota's not immune to
this disease either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts