Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Would you trade your Odyssey for a Sienna?

• YES anyday

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Maybe depending on deal

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No but i wont buy another Honda either.

Votes: 2 8.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 odyssey EX model and I'm over it. i loved it for the first couple months but now,not so much. Everyday no matter hot /cold/full of gas or empty my engine makes a metallic rattling/pinging noise. Its normally only when i accelerate between 0-55. Also when i start some mornings it revs/idles up to 1500rpm there is a loud humming noise as this is going on. More problems my pass and drivers doors and windows creak and rattle. The transmitter for my keyless entry chooses when and when not to work. I was 10 ft away the other day trying to get my doors unlocked and open. They have tried to reset the computer and lube the doors. Another issue I am having right now is that when I try to shift from park to reverse or drive my tranny thumps into gear and it feels like the shifter is stuck(due to tranny not ready to shift yet) then when i go to slow down it double down shifts. Van has less than 10k on it. Thinking of trading it in for a 2011 Sienna XLE.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Try having dealer fix your issues, trading it now may result in financial hose job. But you can call a T dealer and ask for estimate on trade value, see if you are upside down or not, don't bring up problems. The idle issues seems odd given its computer controlled. The downshifts are part of the way it drives, did you drive it before driving it? THe upside is that the engine will be ready to go should you step on gas after downshift, not stuck in 5th and then have to wait for shift. Its different than I'm used to as well, but not "broken". Do you have anything in the doors? Rattles have been noted and mine started rattling recently too, but its an '06.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2010 odyssey EX model and I'm over it. i loved it for the first couple months but now,not so much. Everyday no matter hot /cold/full of gas or empty my engine makes a metallic rattling/pinging noise. Its normally only when i accelerate between 0-55. Also when i start some mornings it revs/idles up to 1500rpm there is a loud humming noise as this is going on. More problems my pass and drivers doors and windows creak and rattle. The transmitter for my keyless entry chooses when and when not to work. I was 10 ft away the other day trying to get my doors unlocked and open. They have tried to reset the computer and lube the doors. Another issue I am having right now is that when I try to shift from park to reverse or drive my tranny thumps into gear and it feels like the shifter is stuck(due to tranny not ready to shift yet) then when i go to slow down it double down shifts. Van has less than 10k on it. Thinking of trading it in for a 2011 Sienna XLE.

When you bundle up all your problems it always looks worse.
Maybe some of these issues are not so bad:
1. Metallic rattle is on several threads as being a loose heat shield, that
just be tighten.
2. I also had noise coming from the rubber seal on the doors. I sprayed
silicon lubricant for rubber, and it did is silent now.
3. Replace battery in remote- usually CR2032; even though it is a 2010,
it could be an old batch, or simply dust in the contacts. Fact: weak batteries have
a decreased range, such as what you now experience.
4.Check if all recalls are done, and make sure trans fluid is at the right level.
What does the dealer say about the transmission? That has been a software update.
5. I love the downshifting, it prevents transmission looking for a lower gear when
you accelerate again- I drive manual trans in other cars, so it is doing
what I would otherwise do manually.

The Odyssey drive feel and handling is superior to the Sienna's.
I know the frustration one has when your vehicle has problems, but once resolved,
your frustration may disappear and be replaced with a great feeling.
What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you bundle up all your problems it always looks worse.
Maybe some of these issues are not so bad:
1. Metallic rattle is on several threads as being a loose heat shield, that
just be tighten.
2. I also had noise coming from the rubber seal on the doors. I sprayed
silicon lubricant for rubber, and it did is silent now.
3. Replace battery in remote- usually CR2032; even though it is a 2010,
it could be an old batch, or simply dust in the contacts. Fact: weak batteries have
a decreased range, such as what you now experience.
4.Check if all recalls are done, and make sure trans fluid is at the right level.
What does the dealer say about the transmission? That has been a software update.
5. I love the downshifting, it prevents transmission looking for a lower gear when
you accelerate again- I drive manual trans in other cars, so it is doing
what I would otherwise do manually.

The Odyssey drive feel and handling is superior to the Sienna's.
I know the frustration one has when your vehicle has problems, but once resolved,
your frustration may disappear and be replaced with a great feeling.
What do you think?
i asked dealer to check all mounts,shields, loose exhaust everything tht might get wiggled loose in transit or just from driving they said they checked and tightened everything nothing loose. they changed knock sensor still making noise and they lubed, took apart doors and found nothing wrong there is nothing in the tracks or in the doors. they will not negotiate a lemon law either. i loved my van until all this happened now i dont know what to do. i would try a 2011 odyssey but i didnt like the way it drove when i had the touring elite they gave me while mine was in the shop. honestly i dont remember is i even liked the ride in the toyota either. i LOVE the look of my 2010 odyssey i just want to have that original love for my car back again. And not the worry. :) i don't know i have only really taken it to one dealer maybe another dealer would be more inclined to actually take the time to check it over more.this dealer said it may be a comp issue that they dont know how to fix. I think the second they say comp issue they freak cause messing with the comp in a car is never easy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
... I think the second they say comp issue they freak cause messing with the comp in a car is never easy....
Sorry but you lost me there. What is a comp issue?

I would insist on driving with the mechanic and point out the problems,
keeping any antagonizing or atittude out of the equation :). The reason
I mention this, is because it is clear how much this is frustrating you.
just saying...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry but you lost me there. What is a comp issue?

I would insist on driving with the mechanic and point out the problems,
keeping any antagonizing or atittude out of the equation :). The reason
I mention this, is because it is clear how much this is frustrating you.
just saying...
Don't know for sure but I'm thinking "comp" is short for "computer"?

To the OP - Your vehicle is still under warranty I'm assuming. If your selling dealer is not handling things to your satisfaction try another dealer. They all get paid for warranty work the same. If still not satisfied, take it up with corporate. You may get them to work with you on invoking the Lemon Law if they can't fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clunk

When you park the van is it on a hill or grade? If so, do you use the parking brake? If so, do you apply the parking brake before you put it in park? If not, this will apply undue pressure on the parking pawl in the transmission and a heavy "clunk" will be heard when shifting from park to any gear because the vehilces weight is resting against that pawl. It's like trying to turn a door knob on a door with someone pushing on the other side of the door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2010 with that many problems??? I think it's time to Trade. Sienna is not a bad vehicle but neither is Honda. Can't understand why you have so many problems with this Odyssey. I have owned a 2003,2008 and now a 2007 touring and I have not had that many problems combining the 3 vehicles. My biggest issue was a battery change. GL..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you park the van is it on a hill or grade? If so, do you use the parking brake? If so, do you apply the parking brake before you put it in park? If not, this will apply undue pressure on the parking pawl in the transmission and a heavy "clunk" will be heard when shifting from park to any gear because the vehilces weight is resting against that pawl. It's like trying to turn a door knob on a door with someone pushing on the other side of the door.
nope no hill or incline flat old driveway.. but ive reallized i cant give up all hope for honda. i see so many here and hear such good things i feel i just got a boo boo OR im just picky ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car had a annoying noise for a long time and i could not figure out the problem it ended up being a manifold heat shield bolt rusted away from the manifold and the manifold was catching air as driving, sounded like metal rubbing together, i didnt replace manifold but just hammered the manifold heat shield closer the manifold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts