Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to go the belt(s) and plugs and have two questions. The belt is starting to make noise in the cold when the AC kicks for defrost. I hit it with a little white grease and no more noise.

1. Is this a single serpentine belt or are their two accessory belts? I am getting different answers from different places. Also, what is the best brand of belt to use. I have been using the Gatorback on my other vehicles with no issues but want to make sure.

2. Confused on plugs. NGK has three options. Copper, plat., and some other plat (laser something) priced accordingly. Anyone have any issues with the regular platinum NGK's? I read through the sticky but still am a bit confused.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. One belt runs the alternator and A/C and has an autotensioner. A second smaller belt, behind the larger one, runs only the power steering pump. Its tension is adjusted by a bolt.

2. Spark plugs - NGK-PZFR5F-11, laser platinum, what what was recommended by Majestic Honda.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have Bosch regular platinum "OE replacement" plugs. I know that most guys around here try to go after the original NGK's but I can tell you that my Bosch plugs have been on the van for 60,000 miles and have been flawless. Paid $1.50 per plug after mail-in rebate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If your plugs only have 67K on them, you probably can go quite awhile longer before changing them. I would always go OEM on the plugs, especially on a Honda.

Yes, you can go cheaper, but on a vehicle like ours with individual (pricey) coils, the risk of damage to the coil from worn plugs (wide gap which causes the firing voltages to increase which eventually breaks down the insulation) is higher. And you won't know you have a problem until the damage has already been done.

In the good ol' days, you had ONE coil, a cap and rotor, and plug wires. On my 1997 Civic, the coil is about $100, cap & rotor about $40, wires $50 (all for genuine OEM parts, online prices), for a total of almost $200. So if I run my plugs way past replacement and have to replace my entire ignition system, it's $200 including plugs.

Now, on Odyssey, I'm looking at $540 to replace all six coilpacks. Yuck. Plus another $60-75 for plugs. Oh, the price of progress!

Check your plug gaps, and if you're within a few thousandths of the setting, I'd throw them back in and run for another 30-40K miles and now worry about it. Use a small amount of anti-sieze on the plug threads when you reinstall them (holds true for any plugs new or used).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts