Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I began the installation of the lumbar system on the passenger side first. Started at about 2pm today, Frank from Automotive Safety Technologies said it would take about 1.5 hours for the install. I must be getting old, its now 8pm, the seat's apart, the carpet and trim are up, and I still haven't made he electrical connection yet. I'm determined to finish this one tonight! Hopefully the driver's side will go somewhat faster. Removing the seat fabric wasn't difficult, in fact, all you need do is remove the armrest, and the backrest cover only needs to be removed up to the first horizontal inseam on the front of the backrest. After you access the rear of the backrest to install the bladder between the springs and foam padding, tie wraps hold it in place. Route the tubing along the frame and on the right side to below the seat cushion. Part of the problem has been the routing of the wires. I found an ideal spot for the pump/motor location, but it has created an issue for the wiring. At the front of the seat cushion near the slide release handle is a perfect size pocket for the assembly and it almost fits up in there flush. I modified the install by gluing large pieces of Velcro to the motor assembly and pocket area (no need for tie wraps)so far so good. Fishing the wire under the seat from the rear towards the front was made a little easier by an existing flap of carpet below the slide out underseat storage drawer. I managed to route the cables between the drawer and inside of the seat base. You need to move the seat fully forward to make sure that the cable has enough length and then secure it so when the seat slides back it doesn't get caught in the tracks or other areas. The next toughest part was sawing open the hole in the seat side plate for the switch. I have a high end model RotoZip that is only several months old. I've used it only a few times and now its making weird noises and getting hot. I barely was able to cut open the square hole before it started smoking
. Back it goes to Home Depot tomorrow. I'll save my money and buy a Dremel, it least its easier to control. Oh I just remembered another reason this has taken so long, I've been documenting this for you guys so you can learn from my blunders. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can.

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Thanks a TON for documenting the procedure. It's a pain in the butt while you're doing it, but it pays off when it helps just one person. I've been working on Chuck's procedure on the ROSS installation. I hope to have that live this week. Lots of pics.

Dremel ... tool of the gods.

Spring for the 90 degree angle attachment for ~$25. I port matched my exhaust ports to my header on my SE-R with that little tool and it worked like a charm. Money well spent. You'll wonder how you worked without it.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Keep up the good work! My lumbar support and replacement ROSS system should be here in a few days. I'll replace the ROSS first and by that time your pics should be up to guide my install of the lumbar support.

------------------
Odyssey Pictures and Projects on FotoTime
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
PS: Did you remove the seat from the van or are you working on it in place?

PPS: Taking pictures while you're trying to solve installation problems is fun, but a pain in the but, isn't it?

------------------
Odyssey Pictures and Projects on FotoTime
Chuck

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work all done
... Now I know why Honda charges more for their options, at least there isn't much guess work and experimenting in installing
. Next time you guys complain about the cost, keep that in mind. After installing the passenger seat first, with seat bolted in, install took forever (see first post). By the time I did the driver's seat the next day, I knew better and more. Power seat almost mandates you remove it or you won't be able to access area in front to mount pump/motor.
In retrospect, if you remove the passenger seat, you won't need to run cable from behind as I did. This will save a lot of time.
Switch install was 2nd most difficult, passenger seat was relatively easy. Driver's seat with power switches and different configuration of seat frame was much more challenging. Final switch location wasn't in optimum spot, but it was the best I could do. It would have been better in front of the seat switches instead of behind them.
Tip for installers: Inserting the air tubing into the pump/motor was tough. Tubing is relatively hard, I used pliers for better grip, this helped to insert. Better be sure of your routing before doing, because once the tubing is in, its hell to take out.
Many scraped knuckles and severe cut on one finger working on drivers' seat, too many mechanical parts keep getting in the way. Installation Tip: Leave power connected until the end, you'll need to reposition the seat a lot during install, even when its unbolted. Have a good multimeter to check wires at fuse block for 12 volt. Passenger side had a large red wire at base of block, easy to find and tap into. Driver's side a little tricker, one at top of fuse block same color and size. Assuming you want yours to work even if ignition is off, otherwise more work to find. Fundamentally, this is an easy install, painful and time consuming but not rocket science. Not having precise locations for the switches and BKM for cable routing made for more challenges. Of course, now that its done, I could do it far less time.
BTW, works great! Acid test will be this upcoming weekend when we take our trip to LA and visit family. Normally 6.5-7 hours with 1 gas stop. In the Ody after 2.5-3 hours, my back will start to bother me. Can't wait to see if this was a waste of time and money or something else to curse at Honda for leaving out?
Good luck to all who go for it, after the install, I collapsed into seat and almost wore the battery out playing with it
!

Here are the photos of the installs:
http://community.webshots.com/album/11092193MXjVAugaAG

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Outstanding work, Hy! Your pictures will be very useful when I do my install.

Could you show a picture of the driver's button location?

Does anyone know if any Honda vehicle (or even an Acura) has a switch operated lumbar support? I am considering obtaining a 'factory' switch. (However, this is probably not worth the effort because the switches that come with the unit look good.)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you show a picture of the driver's button location?

I posted the photos by seat, so if you go back and look you will see two categories:
"Ody Lumbar Support - Pass Seat" & "Ody Lumbar Support - Drv Seat." You'll find what you are looking for in the appropriate area.
After it was complete, I considered the look of the buttons as well. They are not bad looking, but they do lack the OEM color coding. I will probably get in touch with my contact and have him dye match the switches to match the interior (same as OEM). Another possibility is to locate an auto paint supply store and see if you can purchase some interior paint for the vehicle. Two years ago, it wasn't available, but by now it should be. They can sell you a generic and inexpensive aerosol sprayer and you could do it yourself. Now would be a good time to do it, before you install them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great job hip and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm assuming this pneumatic lumbar support inflates in and out with the switch. I was wondering if there was an up and down adjustment or is that fixed by the installation?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
Great job hip and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm assuming this pneumatic lumbar support inflates in and out with the switch. I was wondering if there was an up and down adjustment or is that fixed by the installation?
</font>
exindenver.
The switch pumps the bladder up, there is a check valve so you can't overinflate. The deflate side of the switch is passive, it opens a valve that allows the air to escape using your body weight against the bladder to force the air out. As for the height adjustment, you are correct, it is fixed by the placement during the installation. Usually its the lower back that seems to need the additional support.
Hope this helps.
=Hy=

·
Registered
126 Posts
hip,
One more question.
Is there some adjustment during installation as to the vertical placement of the support to custom fit it to your back? Did the instructions have recommendation for its placement to optimize the support? How did you go about the placement during installation? Are you able to check it before putting the cover back on?
Okay that was more than one question.

BTW have you ever been in a 1st class seat where it has the power lumbar support with the oscillating mode where it cycles in and out and up and down feeling like a lower back massager? Wonder what it'll take to rig that up to this pneumatic lumbar system. Of course without the up and down part.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings,
We have just returned from LA after a four-day trip and am I pleased to report that the pneumatic lumbar systems have more than paid for themselves! After over 18 hours of drive time, I can report that the systems have increased the comfort level far beyond my expectations. After a normal 2-1/2 hour stint behind the wheel, I usually am ready for a spinal transplant. But with these new additions, I can honestly say on a scale of 1-10, the Ody seats have gone from a 4 to an 8 (IMHO). While they still lack the lateral support of the Accord's seats they now have infinitely superior lumbar adjustment. Both my wife and myself could not believe what a difference these have made. Hope you all get a chance to experience these for yourselves. Well worth the $150 (2), and entire weekend doing the install. When the trip was over, the most sore part of my anatomy were my buns, now if they could only make a pneumatic bun support...?
As for the height adjustment, these were positioned by estimate, as the instructions do not give any specific height location, in fact they are sort of generic for all models. I placed the lumbar supports behind the foam, approximately where I felt the lower part of my back would be. As it turned out, this pretty much coincided with the foam cushion contours. If you check my pictures (see previous posts) and count the number of horizontal wires from the bottom, you should end up with a fairly optimal location. I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'4" and the vertical locations seemed ideal. You could inflate these by mouth and check and see if you want to raise or lower them before attaching more than one or two wire ties.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hy,

I've finally gotten around to hooking up the power to the passenger lumbar support.

Where did you tap in for yours exactly. I couldn't really tell from your pictures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lorax:
Hy,

I've finally gotten around to hooking up the power to the passenger lumbar support.

Where did you tap in for yours exactly. I couldn't really tell from your pictures.

Thanks.
</font>
There's several points you could tap into, the easiest to locate is the large red power line coming across the the bottom (passenger side) or top of the fuse panel (driver side). You can carefully strip away some insulation along the red wire and wrap your pump/motor feed (red wire) around the exposed portion and then solder and wrap with electrical tape (this was my method). Or you could purchase some of those handy wire taps that allow you to "pinch" onto the existing power wire and offers you a place to attach your power feed wire (to the pump/motor). If you have a multimeter, you could also check other wires and find another source.
Hope this helps,
=Hy=

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks Hy. I found a spot below the passenger side fuse panel - a big red wire at 12V. I don't know what it's used for, but I'm pretty sure I won't overload it, based on its size.

Everything is working good now. I really like the supports.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lorax:
Thanks Hy. I found a spot below the passenger side fuse panel - a big red wire at 12V. I don't know what it's used for, but I'm pretty sure I won't overload it, based on its size.

Everything is working good now. I really like the supports.
</font>
As far as I can tell it may be the main feed for the fuse block, so you should be ok. As for the supports, if you like them now, just wait till you've driven the van for a few hours...what a difference! I almost couldn't believe these were the same seats!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts