Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it seems its a BAD IDEA(tm) to close the rear hatch by pushing the H (beer can thin was how it was described in the dent post) I thought I'd see how everyone closese their hatch.

I don't think I have a set way; I know I pull down w/ the inside handle until I can reach the outside of it then usually give it a strong push (maybe even with my hands on the rear brakelights) to close it. Any ideas on the best way to close it?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Using a strong push may mean an adjustment could be improved. Mine closes very easily, virtually every time, doesn't rattle and doesn't require any extra push. Sometimes, pushing harder traps the air inside the van making the hatch try to compress the air inside. Assuming that the bumpers are adjusted just right, a fairly slow but deliberate push should close it the first time just about every time. If this doesn't work on yours, turn the bumpers in a little and try again.

The old VW bugs used to be like this. The harder you slammed the doors, the less likely they'd close. Close them gently and they'd close every time.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true..but you *still* have to grab it somewhere. I guess what I'm asking is there an ideal spot 'outside' of the hatch to apply pressure. I just realized I didn't explain myself very well in the previous post. In other words; you CANNOT close the hatch from the inside handle unless you are Hercules. You MUST put your hands on the outside somewhere & PUSH it down. I sometimes push on the H (nice & centered & just my height) and after reading the other post became alarmed and want to avoid putting pressure in the spot...I also want to have something to tell my wife (push 'here' honey) that has something backing it up.

Either way; bumpers turned in or not you have to apply pressure to the outside of the hatch. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Probably. But the fact that someone had to pay a guy to cut holes in his hatch to pull out the dent by the H got me a little worried.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (3300 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights * Chuck/Hy's Glovebox Light
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Marvyn,

This is what I do.

With the hatch up/open, I grasp and pull down with my right hand on the grab handle on the hatch.

When the hatch is about 45 degrees down and past me, I let go of the grab handle and use my left hand to push the door on the license plate. Actually, I have those clear plastic license plate covers. So I really am pushing on the plastic cover.

No dents, dings, or hand prints

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. Are you ears burning? I was just sending you an email at the same moment I saw this (I have 2 computers right beside each other hooked up to the net).

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used the license plate to push before as well. I guess my problem is that I'm not consistent with where I push.

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (3300 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights * Chuck/Hy's Glovebox Light

P

·
0 Posts
You should see how I close the hatch on our Toyota van...I'm so short I literally have to JUMP and get my palms on the outside (no grab handle) and then you have to give it a big umph and hopefully it'll close. Usually takes three tries.

Can't wait unil we get the Ody. Will probably close it with the license plate or just make a fist and close it with the top part of my fingers (of course removing my hand before it goes through the sheet metal).

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
529 Posts
Since I'm the guy who had to pay for repairs from pushing on the "H" emblem, let me tell you how I solved the problem. (Actually, the guy who fixed the dents showed me). I place my fingers on the outside of the bottom lip of the door and pull it down to chest level (you could also use the strap). At this point I place both hands on the lower lip and simply "throw" the door down the rest of the way. It works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:

Either way; bumpers turned in or not you have to apply pressure to the outside of the hatch. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Probably. But the fact that someone had to pay a guy to cut holes in his hatch to pull out the dent by the H got me a little worried.

<table><tr><td>
</font>
No, sorry for the misunderstanding, but that was my point. If you have to PUSH it closed something may be wrong. It doesn't matter where you push it, it's WHETHER you have to push it.

In my case, my garage is so small that I can't easily even stand behind the van to close the hatch; there just isn't enough room back there. Standing beside the back of the van, I just lay my hand on the lower left lip of the hatch and apply enough force to start it downward. Once it's moving, my hand's off it for the last foot or two and the hatch closes completely and solidly. I've never had to push it closed. Pushing it when it's already in contact with the latch is what would bend all that beer can grade metal.

Common sense says if it didn't latch, close it harder, but in reality it's often the case that it may close more reliably if you do it more gently. None of the Honda's doors or latches will need a final push when they're adjusted right.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey, I can't even get my hatch open or closed inside my garage!

My method is to pull down fairly briskly on the inside handle, which usually will get the door closed. If it doesn't I just give it a shove on the bottom of the hatch, and live with the fingerprints. Oh, and even though I'm 6'2" 200# I'm certainly not Hercules, just average guy build.

Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the hatch is dirty on the outside, I just give a quick pull down from the inside handle and that does it. Otherwise, I push on the tail lamp assembly that runs across the back. No problems and it won't dent like the sheet metal.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My vote is for the license plate. No dents, no prints, just a closed hatch. Right, do not apply more force than necessary to get it closed.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
255 Posts
I pull on the inside grab handle and pull it down halfway, then I press on the taillight lens or bottom right corner to gently get the momentum to close it the rest of the way. Works great!. I've also thought about sticking a 4x4in square of the paint protection film on the right bottom corner, below the right taillight lens, so if the van is really dirty, my wife wont accidentally scratch the paint by touching/rubbing the dirt into the paint..... Am I anal or what
:rolleyes:

My sister's '02 Ody built in Alabama, has "weaker" struts on the hatch. When I helping her load the van one day, I noticed a big difference on the amount of force needed to pull the handle down. If my hatch is halfway open, it will jump open if I push up on it barely. My sister's will "rest" halfway open, and the struts are not strong enough to fling the hatch open. Yes, it will open it, but not as fast as mine. Guess her struts are made by a different vendor, or is a different batch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do about the same thing, a strong pull on the inside handle usually does it for me. If I mess up, I push on the plate.

Another point, I like to keep my van, plate, etc. clean. However, in NYS (don't know about other states), any type of cover over the license plate is illegal. Get stopped by a cop on a bad day, get ready for a ticket.

BB

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use to have troubles with it not closing all because I use to be too carefull not to slam it. I'd end up pulling it back up part way and give it a second push from the H.

Now, not sure I'd call it the best way, I grab the bar inside and pull with a continual force and let go at the right moment to let it close completely without it slamming, I guess it just took getting familiar with it.

·
0 Posts
selvan777 said:
Now, not sure I'd call it the best way, I grab the bar inside and pull with a continual force and let go at the right moment to let it close completely without it slamming, I guess it just took getting familiar with it.
That's exactly how I close it as well. No slamming needed:) ! No need even touching the outside rear hatch (an especially good idea now that it's filthy from all the snow and salt:mad: ).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hava also been concerned about pushing down on the rear hatch to close it. I close it by pushing down on the real lower lip, just a quick push does the job. I have noticed that there are two small dents in the first body line up from the bottom of the hatch. I don't know if the wife did it of one of the service techs when I had it in for service. I am very careful now for fear of putting more dents in the rear hatch.
Keefly

·
Registered
276 Posts
bennett

I grab the handle on the inside of the hatch and when it is about40% down I push on the plastic handle on the outside(Used to open hatch). Dealer recommend that instead of pushing on the tail lights like was sujested in another thread.

Steven

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just use the inside handle to close the rear hatch (using normal strength) -- no problems and no fuss.

BTW, I stand 5' tall so I'm no Hercules by any stretch of the imagination! :)

Emma

·
Registered
344 Posts
Emma said:
I just use the inside handle to close the rear hatch (using normal strength) -- no problems and no fuss.

BTW, I stand 5' tall so I'm no Hercules by any stretch of the imagination! :)

Emma
Hi Emma,

The question is do you have to jump to reach the handle?:D

Just busting on you! My wife also is 5' tall, actually 4'11.5''.:p

·
Registered
608 Posts
Used to slam the rear hatch...

It took me a few times to realize the hatch was closed and I was slamming it needlessly... I now have found if I push it to the point where it gets past the gas supports trying to hold it up and just let it fall, it is just hard enough to close itself..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts