Honda Odyssey Forum banner

If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Squeaking breaks at 200 miles; parts bent, replaced pads and machined rotors , 500 miles later and it squeals again (not normal operation). Static popping noise from speakers; it’s more prevalent when RES is on but is still noticeable when listening to the radio. AC is underpowered, it doesn’t cool the cabin off. Honda blames it on the coolant they now use. They didn’t think out the design of this van. They moved the air vents from the headliner to down on the sides of the door. That doesn’t help when you have a rear facing car seat; it makes for one sweaty baby and add that to the fact that the van doesn’t do a great job cooling the cabin to begin with. Sliding doors are painfully slow to close. Latch hooks seem to be placed in a weird position on the seats; seems narrow and makes it hard to install certain car seats. Tailgate clunks loudly when shut. Body wise, nothing seems to be placed with any precision. The bumper is gapped on each side (space is relatively large, appears as though it may not have been put together properly). Dashboard had a zillion rattles that became evident with only a few hundred miles. It rattled like a freight train and had to be stuffed with soundproofing foam as there was too much play in the dashboard to begin with. I’ve been in several other odyssey’s this year and they don’t all have the same issue. It’s a matter of lack of quality control and luck of the draw I guess. The finished of this vehicle seem cheaply made, perhaps to cut costs. The infotainment is a big issue and it’s well known. Telling consumers you don’t have a fix for it and expecting them to accept it is unacceptable. I don’t have an answer as to what kind of car to get; I’m still researching. What I can tell you is that there is no perfect vehicle, but this experience has made me wish I kept my Sienna.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Probably not. Would give the Pacifica plug-in a serious look. It would have been cheaper and just as reliable (specifically the plug-in model).

·
Registered
125 Posts
No. There are a few relatively minor things I don't like about my 2018 EX-L. The main reason I would not buy this van again is the knocking engine that Honda seems to be refusing to fix. However, now that I know what to look (and listen) for, I would try to find one that does not knock. The rest of the stuff I could live with...no vehicle is perfect.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No, 2001 original owner. 4th. transmission. Great engine. but back then, did not have VCM, and other improvements.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Knowing what I know now after 22k miles on a 2018 Elite - probably not based on Honda's inability to solve the potentially deadly stalling problem on slow-speed turns

I say probably because I didn't do much research on alternatives 2+ years ago so I would have to judge the replacement.

Perhaps Toyota will wake up and produce a reliable updated Sienna.
Hate to go with a Chrysler product based on past experience with our Notso-Grand-Caravan, aka, "Death Trap Central."

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, would buy again. Our 2019 EX has been working fine for us.

However, the 2nd row seat backs don't fold down all the way and don't lock in the tilted forward position making them back-breaking to remove. The floor is not flat making lying down in the back quite uncomfortable. But I have a fix for both so they will no longer be issues for us.

Otherwise, our EX has been working fine. No engine knocking, 9 speed transmission or other issues.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really hated my 18 when it was new, Honda has made a lot of fixes which improved it to pretty bad from frustrating and awful. If Honda makes changes other than cosmetic we might pick up another in a couple years... Not for 6 months after the release and relentless pursuit of the forums to insure it isn't another 18 all over again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stay away of this van the only thing has good is the look otherwise is a lemon bad rotors you need to resurface each 1,000 or 2,000 miles cost 200 to 250 dólares radio stop working at lease three times a month shift problems on low I read this in a lot of comments and are thru I got the 2018 odyssey elite touring and on maintenance is dragging my pocket....don’t buy a Odyssey never in my life...soy sad I spent 55,000 thousand dollars

·
Registered
22 Posts
YES
2018 Elite with 60k miles on it was totaled in an accident recently and would purchase again.
Weve had no issues
We are currently looking around at what to get but keep coming back to the Ody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Compared to the 2015 touring that i traded in for this regrettable 2019 exl, i would NOT get the 2019 but i would keep the 2015...
Older 2015 is superior on so many points that giving it up made me depressed.
Second row seats has so many issues that you will encounter you will just shake your head which includes air vents and fold down(they dont fold down).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Stay away of this van the only thing has good is the look otherwise is a lemon bad rotors you need to resurface each 1,000 or 2,000 miles cost 200 to 250 dólares radio stop working at lease three times a month shift problems on low I read this in a lot of comments and are thru I got the 2018 odyssey elite touring and on maintenance is dragging my pocket....don’t buy a Odyssey never in my life...soy sad I spent 55,000 thousand dollars
Curious to know how you have such bad rotors. Unless your driving habits are awful, nothing necessitates a resurface every 2K miles. In mixed driving, mine has almost 28K miles and its only 14 months old and my brakes are perfectly fine. How many miles do you have on the van and how is it draining your pocket? If you have similar mileage like mine, it should be just oil & filter changes with tire rotation. 55K? I spent almost 10K less than yours for my 2019; cant understand that either. can you start a thread about the troubles with your van?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts