Honda Odyssey Forum banner

If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Depends on when u ask me. 2018 Canadian top of the line. My 5th Ody the first being in 2002.

A few months ago it was in garage every 2 weeks for one reason or another. Last few months trouble free if I ignore blurry back up camera, inadequate air conditioning , res that has been locking up since last software update after working fine for 50000 miles, navigation that miscalculates arrival time, doors that occasionally refuse to open and a few other “ minor” irritants.

So yes I’d buy another today. Next month who knows.

Certainly obvious that some were built far more carefully than others or that the quality of parts from suppliers varies

·
Registered
96 Posts
We would not buy another 2018 EXL-RES, but we might consider buying another Ody in a couple of years. This would happen only if Honda takes care of the problems and shortcomings in the 2018 model (and this time it would be the Elite model, if any). My wife has been extremely unhappy with what I consider minor irritations such as the quirky infotainment system and a loud (if so far reliable) transmission. The '18 has been a let-down after our near-perfect 2004 Ody. Honda "cheaped down" on the early 5th generation models. There are several design fails and the problems with the sliding doors and 9-speed transmission are now legendary. Unlike our 2018 purchase, we would first do research and much more test driving to see If there was a clearly superior mini-van made by another manufacturer. Perhaps Honda will respond to the 5th Gen Ody's low ratings and criticisms and once again manufacture a highly reliable Odyssey. (Although from my reading about the '19, '20 and '21s, except for installing the 10-speed transmission, changes seem to be largely cosmetic).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely I’d do it again.

To me, the track record of the previous Chrysler products is pretty poor and the Sienna handles so horribly I get carsick in it... so the Odyssey was the best option.

Coming from driving German cars all my life, I expected that the reliability of this would be far better than anything I previously drove... it has. And I expected the build quality to be that of an economy car... it is. Therefore I’m not disappointed.

I was aware of the potential for the transmission issues and the engine knock beforehand too... every car has some odd quirk that is common and annoying. Look up BMW N52 lifter ticks. It’s just a thing you live with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have to say I am happy and relieved that (at least so far), the majority would purchase an Odyssey again. It gives me hope that the next Odyssey will be better than our current 2018 EX-L. The Odyssey is still far ahead of the Sienna in features/$ for the features that we want. Chrysler Pacifica is not an option for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only had it a year with no real problems yet so it's really too early for me. But I sure should have not ever sold my 06 Scion xA that I had purchased new and sold 6 years ago when I retired because when I look at the reviews now it is getting a 4.7/5 by owners who say it is the best car they've ever owned and has given them no problems. Had I kept the Scion I would have had a car that's 2 years newer than my Odyssey and with many fewer miles plus I would have known everything that was done to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curious to know how you have such bad rotors. Unless your driving habits are awful, nothing necessitates a resurface every 2K miles. In mixed driving, mine has almost 28K miles and its only 14 months old and my brakes are perfectly fine. How many miles do you have on the van and how is it draining your pocket? If you have similar mileage like mine, it should be just oil & filter changes with tire rotation. 55K? I spent almost 10K less than yours for my 2019; cant understand that either. can you start a thread about the troubles with your van?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes on a '19 Elite. 13 months so far with 23,000 miles, averaging 23.6 MPG overall and no problems other than an occasional flakey Rain Sensing Wiper System.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?
Nope. While our '04 Odyssey has been a reliable set of wheels, there are too many little shortcomings I've cited before - cheap interior plastics, non-existent door detents, the dumbest location for the interior lights switch ever - to make me even think of buying it or another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No - Unless some major changes were made. We have a 2019 EXL - advantages: Van rides well and is smooth on the road. Has good power and more leg room than the previous model.

We have not had the transmission issues or engine knocking that others have experienced and we are thankful for that, however it seems this is a very real issue that has not been properly addressed by Honda. It gives us cause to rethink buying another Odyssey. It also makes us concerned that Honda no longer take customer service seriously.

As my wife has pointed out, our previous 2011 Odyssey had much more usable interior space than an SUV, especially when you could fold the second row seats down. It is not that you need the space all the time but when you do there is not the switching around of vehicles, or making multiple trips or renting a pickup etc. It was an 'all in one' vehicle and the most practical for us.

We didn’t buy our previous Odyssey because we liked the way it looked. We bought it for the following reasons:
  • Honda’s reputation for reliability and good resale value. (Unfortunately Honda's reputation seems to be going south at the moment)
  • It’s size
  • We preferred the way it drove over the Sienna and the Quest (the new restyled Quest had just come on the market).
AND very importantly:
- Its Flexibility Of Use

We dismissed the Town and Country because we rented one for a long distance trip - it was new with only 2500 miles on it, a really nice vehicle until the transmission went out at 3500 miles.

The new Odyssey does has a major concern for us. The second row seats do not fold down. It makes the vehicle far less versatile and usable (especially if you are away somewhere and see something large you want to purchase). Removing the seats is an issue as they weigh 79lbs each.

This really takes away from the Odyssey's versatility and flexibility. The Costco / Ikea crowd is certainly a large group. In 2017, Costco had 90.3 million members. If, one hundredth of one percent, of Costco members think this is an issue, that is over 9,000 lost vehicle sales.

Having recently moved across country, our old Odyssey was perfect for getting stuff in that we did not put into the POD. Also when we have had family with us we easily folded down one side when a larger purchase was made, everyone could still fit. Again it is all about flexibility. With Honda now not accommodating people that need a flexible, ‘all in one’ vehicle, it certainly makes them less attractive, especially to the retired crowd who want to load stuff into the van without taking out the seats - remember 79lbs each. But this crowd also wants the versatility to have family and grand-kids all together in the one vehicle.

It would be interesting to know how many thousands of people do not buy the new Odyssey because the second row seats do not fold down? The person/s at Honda who decided on this (and those that signed off on it), need a reality check. The Honda Odyssey is no longer a versatile vehicle. The competition must be ecstatic over Honda’s glaring mistake.

Thank you for allowing me to air my thoughts, hopefully Honda will reconsider this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, would buy again. Our 2019 EX has been working fine for us.

However, the 2nd row seat backs don't fold down all the way and don't lock in the tilted forward position making them back-breaking to remove. The floor is not flat making lying down in the back quite uncomfortable. But I have a fix for both so they will no longer be issues for us.

Otherwise, our EX has been working fine. No engine knocking, 9 speed transmission or other issues.
I am a yes, but the middle row and floor are a disaster. The seats themselves should be the subject of a safety recall to prevent physical injury when trying to remove them from the vehicle. Honda should replace all these seats with features that lock the back in the partially folded position and prevent the seat rack from free sliding.

If I were the VP of Engineering for Honda, I would determine who on my staff allowed this design to proceed. I would not fire them, but I would require them to put the seats in and out of the van each day for the rest of their careers.

I really can't see why there has not been some kind of a field fix for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is going to sound petty for a no vote but we have a 2018 Touring Elite the issue... the front passenger seat does not adjust up and down. We are a short family and this makes the seat very uncomfortable since our legs do not fully reach the floor. On the opposite we have riding friends who are tall and he can not adjust the seat to make entry and exit easier. A $48,000+ vehicle when all of the other comparable vehicles by others have this simple feature. A shame since the vehicle, in all other aspects, has been great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No. The 2019 has transmission issues that the dealer ignored the first time they examined it. Now, they say Honda is aware of the issue and has done nothing to solve it.

If there was a do over, we'd go Toyota.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think so. had a 2014 which was a lot better they took a lot of compartment space away on the 2018 put the usb inside the center console with a sliding cover ( Don't leave anything on it and try to open the console it will go with the door and you can't get it back out ) if you store anything in there you can't get to plug in the usb or apple play. There are a lot of rattles and while driving a lot of outside road noise. I wonder if they took on some of the old GM engineers and that's when the failed!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes 2018 ex-l with 18,000 miles. No issues. Smooth, quiet, good power, great gas mileage. I wish it had low speed ACC, better lane keep assist and 3rd row speakers in the lower trims. I would only consider trading it if they came out with all wheel drive. We have to use snow tires to get through winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes. I guess after 5 Odys, I would just stick with Touring. My 01 had 3x transmission changes. My 03 had no such issues but plauged with coil problems that only the under-tree mechanicis could fix since the dealers could not rectify. Now my 10 was perfect until about 120k miles when tranny started sending codes. The 15 was a dream car but it did not have RES so I upgraded in 19.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts