Honda Odyssey Forum banner

If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
NOPE! 4 recalls, 3 sets of front rotors, what amounts to an engine rebuild of 4 cylinders and driveshaft boots that split after only 75k miles and I am not that thrilled with it. If I was buying today I would get a Pacifica.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Curious to know how you have such bad rotors. Unless your driving habits are awful, nothing necessitates a resurface every 2K miles. In mixed driving, mine has almost 28K miles and its only 14 months old and my brakes are perfectly fine. How many miles do you have on the van and how is it draining your pocket? If you have similar mileage like mine, it should be just oil & filter changes with tire rotation. 55K? I spent almost 10K less than yours for my 2019; cant understand that either. can you start a thread about the troubles with your van?
Nothing new to have rotors go bad prematurely. at 77k I am on my third set of rotors. The first set would cause vibrations when braking after less than 15k miles. I should have one back to the dealer, but going to the dealer wastes so much time. I then spent extra on cryo treated rotors thinking they would be better, no they weren't. They were a waste of money. The current set is a cheapo set, maybe Beck & Arnley, that mimics the new style front rotors from Honda with extra holes near the hub. These are working well so far. Doesn't really matter as I will be getting rid of my '12 soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Probably not. Would give the Pacifica plug-in a serious look. It would have been cheaper and just as reliable (specifically the plug-in model).
I agree with the Pacifica choice, but I would not get the plug in. The reason is that the plug in means you don't get the killer feature stow-n-go. If they figured out how to do plug in with stow-n-go I would get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I would -- .
I have a 2018 Elite with 15K miles.
Previously, I had 2 Chrysler Town & Country’s – both developed transmission problems just before 100K miles, so didn’t look at Pacifica. Looked at Toyota and thought the ride and handling wasn’t as good as the Honda. Also looked at the Kia, but old styling, ride & handling, and limited nav system turned me off. So far, the only issue I’ve had was to replace adaptive wipers that wouldn’t stop once started. However, I am concerned that Consumer Reports recommends to NOT BUY Honda due to reliability issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my 2009 EX l I didn't notice the lack of paint on the roof.
I also have a conflict with the drivers entry. I like my seat raised to the maximum height , I don't like to bump my head on the roof as I get in and out of the van. I have owned several Econoline vans which I find more comfortable, but less economical to drive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nothing new to have rotors go bad prematurely. at 77k I am on my third set of rotors. The first set would cause vibrations when braking after less than 15k miles. I should have one back to the dealer, but going to the dealer wastes so much time. I then spent extra on cryo treated rotors thinking they would be better, no they weren't. They were a waste of money. The current set is a cheapo set, maybe Beck & Arnley, that mimics the new style front rotors from Honda with extra holes near the hub. These are working well so far. Doesn't really matter as I will be getting rid of my '12 soon.
Did you bed the brakes in, prior to normal driving? Typically the brake pad manufacturer would have it step by step. I have heard many folks complaining about inadequate and 'faulty' brakes and majority of them have no clue on bedding the brakes in, let alone what it even means. Using bad/worn out pads on new rotors are not advised either.
Vibrations are caused by deposits on the brake rotor. This is directly a deficiency in driver operation. If you ride your brakes or your driving pattern does not allow for the rotors to cool down properly, then you will get the vibration. Bedding the brakes in would fix that in 99% of such cases.

When I first started to drive, my habits were so poor that I had the case of 'warped rotors'. It was not till I learnt how to drive properly that I was able to fix it. On my Ridgeline, I was on my second set of rotors at 220K miles. Went through 2 sets of pads in the front and three sets in the rear. Believe me, I am not easy on my truck. My G5 Odyssey is almost at 28K miles and the brakes are showing normal wear.

If you are on three sets of rotors and you are having such issues, then it is not the faulty brakes, you need to learn to drive better. The holes between the rotor hat and the disk is a result of the new design of the dual cast rotors. They are supposed to be a hybrid and in-between the single cast and the more expensive two-piece rotors. These are supposed to be better at thermal management.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded my 2018 EXL with only 17,000 miles on it because it was so bad. 9 speed shifts hard at 25MPH, infotainment shuts down and all the time. I won't be buying another Honda any time soon. Between the dealership and Honda someone was lying to me. The dealership told me that Honda was aware of the problems and there is no fix at this time. Honda told me that the dealership was unable to replicate the problem. Terrible customer service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I would -- .
I have a 2018 Elite with 15K miles.
Previously, I had 2 Chrysler Town & Country’s – both developed transmission problems just before 100K miles, so didn’t look at Pacifica. Looked at Toyota and thought the ride and handling wasn’t as good as the Honda. Also looked at the Kia, but old styling, ride & handling, and limited nav system turned me off. So far, the only issue I’ve had was to replace adaptive wipers that wouldn’t stop once started. However, I am concerned that Consumer Reports recommends to NOT BUY Honda due to reliability issues.
I don't have a CR membership, but what van do they even recommend? I imagine the Sienna is in there, but front passenger safety in those is a concern. Also, I've known many people to replace their transmission before 100k in their toyota/lexus.

As far as equity goes, the Odyssey definitely holds it's value the best. The Sienna depreciates a little bit quicker, and the Chrysler & Kia depreciate so quickly it is worth wondering if anyone should consider a new one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Absolutely YES.
12 months, 12K miles, zero issues. Bullet proof.
23.2 mpg overall average, upto 32 mpg on the highway (though usually closer to 27 mpg, they way I drive).

NY'19 Elite.

Would give the Pacifica plug-in a serious look. It would have been cheaper and just as reliable (specifically the plug-in model).
I seriously considered and test drove Pacific, along with a Sienna.
Pacifica was just too anemic with acceleration, and Chrysler dealers were the slimiest and most incompetent, by far, on Hybrid pricing, functionality, and federal credit pass through. First they would try talking me out of the Hybrid since "no-one wants that unreliable EV junk". Then when they sensed my serious interest, conversation flipped to "everyone wants it, we will not discount it". At three separate dealerships. Comically abysmal.
In the end, I had zero faith in FCA long-term reliability, and had no desire to pay more for Pacifica Hybrid than Odyssey Elite.

YMMV

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my first minivan ownership experience, bought used 18 Elite with 15K for what i thought was a steal st $36,000.

I dont like the AC issue, wont need to worry about that in Oregon for another 6 months. If I lived in AZ I would have returned it in a heartbeat. This vam will be in our family a long time and I dont regret a thing. And im really looking forward to our first road trip the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think another choice in the poll should be, how many decided not to buy at all, based on the many concerns expressed on this forum. I was an Odyssey fanboy with a 2001 EX followed by a 2010 EXL that we really enjoyed. Always had the Ody serviced at a local dealer and was extremely pleased. But the bean counters took control of the implementation of the '18+ so I purchased a 2020 Sienna Limited Premium and didn't look back. My daughter has the 2010 and it serves her well, except for the check engine light indicating a leak in the evap system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have a CR membership, but what van do they even recommend? I imagine the Sienna is in there, but front passenger safety in those is a concern. Also, I've known many people to replace their transmission before 100k in their toyota/lexus.

As far as equity goes, the Odyssey definitely holds it's value the best. The Sienna depreciates a little bit quicker, and the Chrysler & Kia depreciate so quickly it is worth wondering if anyone should consider a new one.
I have to agree with this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NO.(the world is changing) 2014 EX Would not buy again. AC always was weak, knock sensor and rear AC knocking 2 years ago. I will wait for the model Y or the Tesla pickup. After owning a model 3 for 10 months I see the madness of owning a intern combustion engine. Saving over $3000 in this short of time(10 months) in fuel and No oil changes/ever. Now the van just mostly just sits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NOPE! 4 recalls, 3 sets of front rotors, what amounts to an engine rebuild of 4 cylinders and driveshaft boots that split after only 75k miles and I am not that thrilled with it. If I was buying today I would get a Pacifica.
Yes. About 4 months I got the 19' entry level with no upgrades.. $23.5K +TTL and Honda Care.
Installed VCM dissabler immediately
First week sat radio had issues, but fixed by dealer quickly.
Little trim issues on bumber/fender alignment I haven't taken in yet.

I change my own brakes, so not an issue if/when they warp/squeak

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes? no? how about "possibly". MY '19 still has too few miles to make an opinion. After using it for it's intended purpose (pickup + cargo van replacement) i do wish the back suspension was a bit stiffer so it doesn't bottom out when carrying modest loads on a hitch mounted luggage rack. I can't imagine what it'll do when I put a modest trailer on her with a modest tongue load.

soy sad ?
lmao. sounds like a troll here. no way a car could have that many issues, bra.

·
Registered
365 Posts
yes? no? how about "possibly". MY '19 still has too few miles to make an opinion. After using it for it's intended purpose (pickup + cargo van replacement) i do wish the back suspension was a bit stiffer so it doesn't bottom out when carrying modest loads on a hitch mounted luggage rack. I can't imagine what it'll do when I put a modest trailer on her with a modest tongue load.
The rear will squat about 2".

Contact guys over at BC Racing, if you want to stiffen up the rear suspension. However, I would consider upgrading all four corners with proper Coilover, if you are looking for a stiffer and more load carrying capacity. BC Racing currently carries a lowering suspension kit for the G5 Odyssey (though I cannot fathom someone lowering this already low van).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely NO!!! Keep in mind that this comes from being a card carrying member of the HONDA fan club for years. I've owned 3 Honda motorcycles. Had a 95' Honda Civic. Wife owned an '87 Civic. Currently own a Honda riding mower and a Honda generator. I made the mistake of not doing enough research before I purchased my '09 Odyssey because I foolishly thought that everything Honda made was gold. I still drive my 1978 Chevy Camaro (250,000+ miles that I purchased new in Oct. 1977). If you want to find out how sincere Honda customer service is (before you purchase) just give them a call at their corporate office. BTW, if you're not aware already, Honda believes that burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is not a problem and well within tolerance. I missed the lawsuit for the VCM by a few months. Have since use the VCM Muzzler with success.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts