Honda Odyssey Forum banner

If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes for my 2012 EX. Although that's only after adding in two upgrades:
  1. The backup camera kit (which is factory look and function of the ones standard on higher trims and on EX in 2013+).
  2. Stoptech slotted rotors and EBC "green stuff" pads. I can drive it like I stole it with no fade and not a hint of modulation in the pedal, unlike the recurring issues I had with the factory setup in normal driving. Although they are dusty, worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. Why? My 2018 EX-L bought new exactly 2 years ago has 47000 completely pleasurable miles on it---econo mode and a light foot gets 30+ mpg on the road, and it is quiet and comfortable. I had a 2004 and a 2010 and the 2010 with the cylinder control system was hell, with Honda refusing to deal with the over a dozen misfires and costs incurred "but you brought it to a non honda dealer-we cant diagnose the issue" (jackoffs) had faith (because the Siennas are brutish) and pretty happy so far

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely Not ! and it's not just because the Transmission went bad in my 2018 EX, but the fact that both Honda Corp and the Dealer turned their back on us. 12 Honda purchases by our family, over a twenty year period meant Nothing to them. Karma did bite them in the arse though... Diane Wilson of WTVD ABC in Raleigh just got me a FULL REFUND ! But my Honda days are over.. for good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely would buy again, love it!!! 2018 EX-L Nav/Res no issues, bought in June 2017. 17k miles.
LOL... well, not really laughing at you Russell, but wait until you get a few more miles on the car.. and you transmission fails. And it will fail Russell; somewhere between 60,000 - 75,000 miles.
Listen closely as you drive down the road, easing off the gas, and then getting back into it. Those subtle clicking noises when the trans shifts from gear to gear. Those noises gradually get loader, and loader... you'll take it to the Dealer (like we did) and they will tell you that the Tech could not "duplicate the issue". They will do this as many times that you take it to them... and then all of a sudden, there is a loud and harsh grinding noise, just before the transmission locks up! And Bam ! You're out $6200 for a remanufactured transmission! See how much you love it then (and your Dealer).

·
Registered
25 Posts
No. The 2019 has transmission issues that the dealer ignored the first time they examined it. Now, they say Honda is aware of the issue and has done nothing to solve it.

If there was a do over, we'd go Toyota.
Agreed, the Transmission in my 2018 Honda Odyssey EX failed at 70k miles. I had to pay a $1290 "deductible", which Diane Wilson, the WTVD ABC Troubleshooter just got back for me!
But no more Honda Cars for me or my family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends on when u ask me. 2018 Canadian top of the line. My 5th Ody the first being in 2002.

A few months ago it was in garage every 2 weeks for one reason or another. Last few months trouble free if I ignore blurry back up camera, inadequate air conditioning , res that has been locking up since last software update after working fine for 50000 miles, navigation that miscalculates arrival time, doors that occasionally refuse to open and a few other “ minor” irritants.

So yes I’d buy another today. Next month who knows.

Certainly obvious that some were built far more carefully than others or that the quality of parts from suppliers varies

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey elite touring.. it now has 130k miles on it and i am having constant mechanical issues.. the timing belt tensioner is going bad and previously one of the sensors that control the eco drive went out.. now transmission is making car jerk and shimmy.. along w being hit 3 times .. i have owned honda’s in the past and never had such issues.. my daughter also bought a 2016 honda civic and transmission had to be replaced at 75k miles .. i will never own another honda! Its a shame cause i had a 82 civic and drove it for 350k miles.. i am very disappointed..😩

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to say I am happy and relieved that (at least so far), the majority would purchase an Odyssey again. It gives me hope that the next Odyssey will be better than our current 2018 EX-L. The Odyssey is still far ahead of the Sienna in features/$ for the features that we want. Chrysler Pacifica is not an option for me.
Don't want to Rain on your Parade, but your transmission will fail soon, just like mine and many others that are running higher miles. The nine-speed transmissions that Honda began installing in the 2018 and later models, are falling apart. I have had four Honda Odyssey's, 2007,20011,2014, and the 2018 EX. I put 300-400k miles on the first three and know how the transmission should sound, and perform. The newer nine speed is noisy, and gets much noisier with miles. It's a metal-to-metal sound that occurs when getting on and off the gas.. like when you're in heavy traffic. You have to listen for it since the cars are pretty quiet on the road. By 35k miles, you will really start to notice... then you will be lucky to make it past 65-70k miles before it fails! Be sure and document your visits to the Dealer.. including video/audio recordings, which is what finally got me a refund!

·
Registered
25 Posts
No - Unless some major changes were made. We have a 2019 EXL - advantages: Van rides well and is smooth on the road. Has good power and more leg room than the previous model.

We have not had the transmission issues or engine knocking that others have experienced and we are thankful for that, however it seems this is a very real issue that has not been properly addressed by Honda. It gives us cause to rethink buying another Odyssey. It also makes us concerned that Honda no longer take customer service seriously.

As my wife has pointed out, our previous 2011 Odyssey had much more usable interior space than an SUV, especially when you could fold the second row seats down. It is not that you need the space all the time but when you do there is not the switching around of vehicles, or making multiple trips or renting a pickup etc. It was an 'all in one' vehicle and the most practical for us.

We didn’t buy our previous Odyssey because we liked the way it looked. We bought it for the following reasons:
  • Honda’s reputation for reliability and good resale value. (Unfortunately Honda's reputation seems to be going south at the moment)
  • It’s size
  • We preferred the way it drove over the Sienna and the Quest (the new restyled Quest had just come on the market).
AND very importantly:
- Its Flexibility Of Use

We dismissed the Town and Country because we rented one for a long distance trip - it was new with only 2500 miles on it, a really nice vehicle until the transmission went out at 3500 miles.

The new Odyssey does has a major concern for us. The second row seats do not fold down. It makes the vehicle far less versatile and usable (especially if you are away somewhere and see something large you want to purchase). Removing the seats is an issue as they weigh 79lbs each.

This really takes away from the Odyssey's versatility and flexibility. The Costco / Ikea crowd is certainly a large group. In 2017, Costco had 90.3 million members. If, one hundredth of one percent, of Costco members think this is an issue, that is over 9,000 lost vehicle sales.

Having recently moved across country, our old Odyssey was perfect for getting stuff in that we did not put into the POD. Also when we have had family with us we easily folded down one side when a larger purchase was made, everyone could still fit. Again it is all about flexibility. With Honda now not accommodating people that need a flexible, ‘all in one’ vehicle, it certainly makes them less attractive, especially to the retired crowd who want to load stuff into the van without taking out the seats - remember 79lbs each. But this crowd also wants the versatility to have family and grand-kids all together in the one vehicle.

It would be interesting to know how many thousands of people do not buy the new Odyssey because the second row seats do not fold down? The person/s at Honda who decided on this (and those that signed off on it), need a reality check. The Honda Odyssey is no longer a versatile vehicle. The competition must be ecstatic over Honda’s glaring mistake.

Thank you for allowing me to air my thoughts, hopefully Honda will reconsider this.
TennKi; I'm sure that you do not have enough miles on your 2019 to have experienced the Transmission issues... but you will. When my 2018 EX hit 35k miles, the noises began getting much more noticeable. Dealer kept refusing to acknowledge the problem, until at 70k miles, and out of warranty, the transmission on my 2018 Odyssey EX failed completely. Ironically, the 2019 Odyssey EX laoner they gave me for the week, made the exact same noises. Not nearly as loud, but it was there. The replacement transmission they installed makes the same noise as well. BE AWARE, and fully document your visits to the dealer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2006 EX-L with over 276,000 miles on original engine and transmission. I have owned it since it had @112K on the odometer. I just put on another set of the Continental's last month, and last week I replaced the high pressure PS line, and swapped over to Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It helps that I am a retired mechanic and have been able to perform a majority of my maintenance that doesn't require an vehicle lift. Some things it's easier to let the stealership take care of, like oil changes or induction cleanings, because they wash and vacuum the van for about what it would cost me for the parts, and I don't have to get dirty doing it. But I'll gladly change my timing belt, W/P and any other accessory that needs to be done. When my Lay-Z-Boy on wheels finally gives up the ghost on the trans, I'd strongly consider buying another one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NO, I would not buy a Honda Odyssey (or Honda) again. Our 1st Honda, 2015 Odyssey EX-L (replaced old 2005 Toyota Sienna). Battery died <3yrs. Some tensioner (I think) has problems because it's loud at startup, and then noise gradually goes away -- though it's been getting worse and worse (not going away for longer & longer). Power driver side sliding door insulated cable got caught on itself -- insulation messed up the track/cable, and electric door doesn't work. Replaced it, but cable got a slight kink in installation and doesn't work again. Not worth $$ on another try. Intermittent transmission issues from initial purchase ---- got into a weird state shifting from 1st to 2nd gear where it was jerking/lunging. Got into that state (intermittent) when having to go back & forth between 1st & 2nd gear alot (picking up the kids at school, in rush hour traffic on the freeway, etc). First saw this issue 1 month into purchase of new Odyssey. Problem was 'resolved' if I shut of the car & started it again. Dealer could never reproduce problem, but instituted a 'software fix' that seemed to fix it for the most part. Sometimes weird problems on startup, like the screen gets stuck on the backup rectangle. Again, turning off car & starting again usually solves the problem. Once got all kinds of error lights and transmission roughness, error indicated problem between 2nd & 3rd gear (we never had problems with those). Didn't trust the codes, turned it off, changed transmission fluid & babied it awhile, and it seemed to be OK. But completely lost confidence in this car, will not drive it long distance. Depend/trust our old 2004 Toyota Prius over our 2015 Honda Odyssey. Our Odyssey does have 70K+ miles on it, but many of the problems were when the vehicle was much younger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, Bought a 2018 Odyssey Elite new. Black with light blue leather. It is a great vehicle. A few warranty items had been taken care of in the first year. None of it time consuming. I would get another. Recent trip got 28+ MPG on the highway. We turn the ECO mode off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zero problems in 10K miles. But I have issues with several design decisions on my EX. By far, the worst is the height the rear hatch opens. It is absurdly low and not adjustable. I HATE the center console - everything about it is poorly designed. The EX has no drawers on the front of the console and no way to add them as an accessory. The deep console pit is ridiculous - I literally have to keep a flashlight handy in order to find anything in the console - and the tiny light in the console doesn't help. There are not enough USB ports nor power ports inside the console. Zero though was apparently given to where you run the cable to your iphone once it's tethered to the port inside the center console.
The apple CarPlay requires tethering - it should be completely wireless, which would solve the previous issue. The large area on the floor in front of the center console is being sold as a great place for a purse. It's a huge waste of space for me; there ought to be some option for using this wasted space.
Apparently customizing the clock has been limited on the EX; I get only 1 ugly clock face. The settings button is disabled.
I really dislike that the compass has been removed from the mirror - I understand this happened on all trim levels. Since I did not order the GPS system because I prefer to use Apple CarPlay, I have no easy access to a compass.
I don't like the external thermometer visible only in the gauge panel; it ought to be in the entertainment center. And bigger.
The clock should be larger and in a consistent place in the entertainment center as well in the drivers gauge panel. Depending on what's being displayed in the entertainment center, the clock can be in different places, or not there at all.
The auto-dimming headlights are to jumpy; mine go from bright to dim over and over as I drive down a deserted country road with no traffic, no lights, no nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you bed the brakes in, prior to normal driving? Typically the brake pad manufacturer would have it step by step. I have heard many folks complaining about inadequate and 'faulty' brakes and majority of them have no clue on bedding the brakes in, let alone what it even means.

Can you please explain to me what "bedding" the brakes means? By that I'm looking for step by step instructions on EXACTLY how you do that. I've read a number of posts over the years that state that the problem is the brakes weren't "bedded" but not a single explanation as to how one actually does it.

Thx, Jerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had a 2000, loved it and drove it until the transmission gave out. Experienced the sliding door issues with those cheap rollers and many of the other early issues, but it was great for driving across country and we loved the room.
Decided to get a used 2005 and I knew I would have some issues, but I didn't expect to have to adjust the valves. Had sliding door issues, but I cleaned the rail, lubed it with super lube, and the doors are opening again. Makes me rethink if I really want to buy another Ody. I'll have to say no right now, but I'm not sure what I would replace it with. I'll drive this one until it gives me an issue I can't repair at home, then I'll decide what to get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TennKi; I'm sure that you do not have enough miles on your 2019 to have experienced the Transmission issues... but you will. When my 2018 EX hit 35k miles, the noises began getting much more noticeable. Dealer kept refusing to acknowledge the problem, until at 70k miles, and out of warranty, the transmission on my 2018 Odyssey EX failed completely. Ironically, the 2019 Odyssey EX laoner they gave me for the week, made the exact same noises. Not nearly as loud, but it was there. The replacement transmission they installed makes the same noise as well. BE AWARE, and fully document your visits to the dealer!
Thank you for the advice. As you suggest I will definitely document everything as the mileage increases. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
not the honda 2018 exl res/nav Mine was a lemon and Honda finally repurchased it and gave me my money back
Curious how you got Honda to purchase yours back. did you reach out to the dealership that you purchased it from or American Honda Corp? What problems did you have? I have had several and just when I think they may have fixed it, the issue reoccurs and they can’t duplicate it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No...We have 2019 Ody EX-L

Would get Sienna on do over.
Quieter, no idiotic "Cylinder manipulation"and a compass in the displays.
Snort chuckle guffaw.
Marketing wonks put the compass in the Sienna because they knew women drive them sometimes.
When I navigate I do so using manstinct, that superpower we possess that deems us immune from the weakness of stopping to ask for directions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Definitely NO!!! Keep in mind that this comes from being a card carrying member of the HONDA fan club for years. I've owned 3 Honda motorcycles. Had a 95' Honda Civic. Wife owned an '87 Civic. Currently own a Honda riding mower and a Honda generator. I made the mistake of not doing enough research before I purchased my '09 Odyssey because I foolishly thought that everything Honda made was gold. I still drive my 1978 Chevy Camaro (250,000+ miles that I purchased new in Oct. 1977). If you want to find out how sincere Honda customer service is (before you purchase) just give them a call at their corporate office. BTW, if you're not aware already, Honda believes that burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is not a problem and well within tolerance. I missed the lawsuit for the VCM by a few months. Have since use the VCM Muzzler with success.
Thats it? Oil consumption? So $6 every 1000 miles is such a hardship you'd trash your van?
You know BMW considers 7-800 miles a qt normal on some of their engines?
My O7 EXL uses about a qt every 2000-2500. If that doubled it wouldnt make me regret its purchase. The handling and styling alone are far superior to Sienna, as I approached timing belt service I had doubts but once that passed I got over it.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts