Honda Odyssey Forum banner

If you were given a do-over and could buy your current Odyssey again would you?

• Total voters
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am getting rid of my 2003 lightly used Ody. I am the sole owner. While it gave me many years of good service (the power train was good) and I loved, loved, loved the design for its utility I had so many stupid quality control problems (bad electrical connectors, bad ignition switches, key locks, door alignments, bits of plastic falling off) the first 5 years that it soured me on Hondas (I had owned three others previously). I can only assume quality control had slipped over the years. I maintained mine beyond the required minimums and had more than one Honda Technician tell me that the Odyssey was the one model they had most of the problems with. I do not hold the five (5!) Tanaka airbag recalls against them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have TWO 2007 Odyssey EX. I bought the first one with only 147k miles and have driven dogs to Wichita Falls TX, Chicago, up state New York, Cape Cod, and many locations not that far. This van has 222k miles now. Before I made the Cape Cod run, its twin was on Craig's list and I got it for $2500. This van had 244k on it. The first van has developed a miss, that you will hear about in a separate post, but I am VERY satisfied with these vans. First thing, they have always gotten me home, a big plus in my book. I have had a alternator fail out there on the highway, but that will happen, damaged the top strut mount on some very bad roads in New York, but a local shop replaced the strut and I was on my way. The lower mileage one developed a miss in Atlanta, but I limped it from Atlanta to Gulfport MS. Looks like a crack in the air duct between the air cleaner and the throttle caused the issue, but even after I replaced this with a OEM one, I still have the miss. The power doors are a pain, having the rollers bad is one of the reasons I was able to get the second van for $25k. Replaced the center rollers, but still have a closing issue with the driver side door, and I just don't use it right now. This forum will help me drill down into the issues there, actually I have read the posts, just haven't gone out and pulled the interior panel to access the parts. I seem to have missed all the issues some people have.
It has been an excellent dog hauler, and the dogs would agree. I have 7 chows that get to ride with me. The back has had the center seats removed and the rear seats folded up, so there is room for them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you bed the brakes in, prior to normal driving? Typically the brake pad manufacturer would have it step by step. I have heard many folks complaining about inadequate and 'faulty' brakes and majority of them have no clue on bedding the brakes in, let alone what it even means. Using bad/worn out pads on new rotors are not advised either.
Vibrations are caused by deposits on the brake rotor. This is directly a deficiency in driver operation. If you ride your brakes or your driving pattern does not allow for the rotors to cool down properly, then you will get the vibration. Bedding the brakes in would fix that in 99% of such cases.

When I first started to drive, my habits were so poor that I had the case of 'warped rotors'. It was not till I learnt how to drive properly that I was able to fix it. On my Ridgeline, I was on my second set of rotors at 220K miles. Went through 2 sets of pads in the front and three sets in the rear. Believe me, I am not easy on my truck. My G5 Odyssey is almost at 28K miles and the brakes are showing normal wear.

If you are on three sets of rotors and you are having such issues, then it is not the faulty brakes, you need to learn to drive better. The holes between the rotor hat and the disk is a result of the new design of the dual cast rotors. They are supposed to be a hybrid and in-between the single cast and the more expensive two-piece rotors. These are supposed to be better at thermal management.
I did not bed in the original brakes that came with the car. I did bed in all the ones I have replaced. I don't ride the brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No - Unless some major changes were made. We have a 2019 EXL - advantages: Van rides well and is smooth on the road. Has good power and more leg room than the previous model.

We have not had the transmission issues or engine knocking that others have experienced and we are thankful for that, however it seems this is a very real issue that has not been properly addressed by Honda. It gives us cause to rethink buying another Odyssey. It also makes us concerned that Honda no longer take customer service seriously.

As my wife has pointed out, our previous 2011 Odyssey had much more usable interior space than an SUV, especially when you could fold the second row seats down. It is not that you need the space all the time but when you do there is not the switching around of vehicles, or making multiple trips or renting a pickup etc. It was an 'all in one' vehicle and the most practical for us.

We didn’t buy our previous Odyssey because we liked the way it looked. We bought it for the following reasons:
  • Honda’s reputation for reliability and good resale value. (Unfortunately Honda's reputation seems to be going south at the moment)
  • It’s size
  • We preferred the way it drove over the Sienna and the Quest (the new restyled Quest had just come on the market).
AND very importantly:
- Its Flexibility Of Use

We dismissed the Town and Country because we rented one for a long distance trip - it was new with only 2500 miles on it, a really nice vehicle until the transmission went out at 3500 miles.

The new Odyssey does has a major concern for us. The second row seats do not fold down. It makes the vehicle far less versatile and usable (especially if you are away somewhere and see something large you want to purchase). Removing the seats is an issue as they weigh 79lbs each.

This really takes away from the Odyssey's versatility and flexibility. The Costco / Ikea crowd is certainly a large group. In 2017, Costco had 90.3 million members. If, one hundredth of one percent, of Costco members think this is an issue, that is over 9,000 lost vehicle sales.

Having recently moved across country, our old Odyssey was perfect for getting stuff in that we did not put into the POD. Also when we have had family with us we easily folded down one side when a larger purchase was made, everyone could still fit. Again it is all about flexibility. With Honda now not accommodating people that need a flexible, ‘all in one’ vehicle, it certainly makes them less attractive, especially to the retired crowd who want to load stuff into the van without taking out the seats - remember 79lbs each. But this crowd also wants the versatility to have family and grand-kids all together in the one vehicle.

It would be interesting to know how many thousands of people do not buy the new Odyssey because the second row seats do not fold down? The person/s at Honda who decided on this (and those that signed off on it), need a reality check. The Honda Odyssey is no longer a versatile vehicle. The competition must be ecstatic over Honda’s glaring mistake.

Thank you for allowing me to air my thoughts, hopefully Honda will reconsider this.
I totally agree. If I would have checked the 2nd row seats before I bought, it would have been a game changer. Dealer did not even know that they didn't fold down until we told them. We were very upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
YES, but my current Odyssey is a 2016 Touring. I was fortunate to find this 'left-over' new van when the 2018's were rolling out. It's heads-above the 2018+ models. However, while my answer to the question was yes, I would not buy any of the current models. I like the styling, but, as people are saying, Honda engineers/marketing made some serious mistakes in the newer models. Even my 2016 has some missing features from my prior 2006.
I did add a Muzzler to help avoid future engine issues from the cylinder drop-out. Maybe lost 1/2 mpg on that, so it's not big compromise. The engine runs and shifts much better than it did originally. My 2016 has the right mirror video and it's a feature I miss on my Mercedes. I also like the refrigerated storage compartment. But, heated seats are okay except there is no heated steering wheel. Even Ford offers that. Geez. The rear floor is not level and a pain for moving things in and out. Plus it slopes down toward the front so the brake operation can shift your load forward quite easily. It rides nice and is still one of the most utilitarian vehicles ever created.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Edit: Apologies, looks like this is the '18 and up crowd, so my comments don't really apply here.

If I had to drive the thing everyday, I'd go Toyota on a do-over with our '14 TE. The ride and driving characteristics are just too poor to overlook (but, I've never been in a Sienna).

Since I don't have to ride/drive it very often, I'm very happy with it: safe and reliable which is what I want. But ohhh do I hate driving it. Worst driving and riding vehicle ever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
YES, but my current Odyssey is a 2016 Touring. I was fortunate to find this 'left-over' new van when the 2018's were rolling out. It's heads-above the 2018+ models. However, while my answer to the question was yes, I would not buy any of the current models. I like the styling, but, as people are saying, Honda engineers/marketing made some serious mistakes in the newer models. Even my 2016 has some missing features from my prior 2006.
I did add a Muzzler to help avoid future engine issues from the cylinder drop-out. Maybe lost 1/2 mpg on that, so it's not big compromise. The engine runs and shifts much better than it did originally. My 2016 has the right mirror video and it's a feature I miss on my Mercedes. I also like the refrigerated storage compartment. But, heated seats are okay except there is no heated steering wheel. Even Ford offers that. Geez. The rear floor is not level and a pain for moving things in and out. Plus it slopes down toward the front so the brake operation can shift your load forward quite easily. It rides nice and is still one of the most utilitarian vehicles ever created.
I like the styling, but, as people are saying, Honda engineers/marketing made some serious mistakes in the newer models. Even my 2016 has some missing features from my prior 2006.
Thanks, DeanOdyssey. As a former owner of a near-perfect 2004, and the current owner of a 2018, I can strongly agree with your first statement quoted above. Your second sentence is very informative, if a disappointment. My wife has convinced me to trade in our 2008 for a 2016 or 2017. But if Honda did not carry over the best characteristics of the '06 to the '16, that option is out.
(My spouse had wanted just a newer '04, but now it seems that Honda sheds even the best features of earlier models and allows its designers to come up with new, unapproved and unwanted features. Why Honda doens't keep the best ot earlier models--as appreciated by owners--and only improves the most unwanted features remains a mystery to me).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like the styling, but, as people are saying, Honda engineers/marketing made some serious mistakes in the newer models. Even my 2016 has some missing features from my prior 2006.
Thanks, DeanOdyssey. As a former owner of a near-perfect 2004, and the current owner of a 2018, I can strongly agree with your first statement quoted above. Your second sentence is very informative, if a disappointment. My wife has convinced me to trade in our 2008 for a 2016 or 2017. But if Honda did not carry over the best characteristics of the '06 to the '16, that option is out.
(My spouse had wanted just a newer '04, but now it seems that Honda sheds even the best features of earlier models and allows its designers to come up with new, unapproved and unwanted features. Why Honda doens't keep the best ot earlier models--as appreciated by owners--and only improves the most unwanted features remains a mystery to me).
As an uneducated person of the previous models, the two things I know that are no longer available is the cooled compartment in the front and I believe removable center console. What else did Honda remove?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
As an uneducated person of the previous models, the two things I know that are no longer available is the cooled compartment in the front and I believe removable center console. What else did Honda remove?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Onearmedmidget,

My apologies for not expressing myself as clearly as I should have.
The point I wanted to make is that Honda should find out from its owners what features they like and strongly consider keeping those in later models instead of replacing them with problematic new designs.

For some interior design features that I and others do not appreciate, please see the thread: https://www.odyclub.com/threads/interior-design-fails-or-not.354425/#post-2329769

Some of the other features that many have not appreciated in the 2018 and later year models include the replacement of earlier transmissions with the ZF 9-speed tranny, the "Magic Slide" 2nd row seats, the no longer flat cargo area, and others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2019 Elite, all good and my family loves the van. Not sure why others are having issues as ours have been rather good to us and any issues have been resolved with software updates or warranty repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NO. I wish I could take this car back and trade it in for a Sienna. The gas mileage on this van is HORRIFIC. Honda service has gone super down hill. Sadly I am Not happy at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
YES
2018 Elite with 60k miles on it was totaled in an accident recently and would purchase again.
Weve had no issues
We are currently looking around at what to get but keep coming back to the Ody.
Was everyone OK? How would you say the Odyssey “took” the accident in terms of keeping the passengers safe?

81 - 94 of 94 Posts